What's with all these BUBBLES & Stocking Options

Feb 18, 2011
So I've had my 29 gallon set up and running with the new filter since yesterday. I am getting a test kit tomorrow to test the water.

What is with all of these bubbles?! I read on a few forums that it is because the tank was newly filled and would go away within a day. It doesn't seem to be going away. My filter seems to be filtering bubbles down into the tank as well - then they float to the surface. I took care of the bubbles sticking to the sides with my Algae Magnet. My friend said it was Chlorine and I need to add Chlorine remover????

I've got my tank at 76 degrees consistently. I'm hoping this is the right temperature for the things I'd like to have. Right now I'm considering:

6 Glofish
Maybe a few Zebra Danios?
Blue Dwarf Gourmai
2 Albino Cory Cats
An Algae Eater - Would any fit in my setup?

What else can I add to this setup? Or what should I change? I'd like a larger fish - but I think any of the larger (not huge, since my tank is only 29 gal) ones would eat all of these little guys.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2010
Whoa! I don't know what bubbles have to do with chlorine, but if you aren't dechlorinating your water you need to be!

Prime and Aquasafe are two common brands of dechlorinator sold at all fish stores. You need to pick some up and start dechlorinating your tank (by adding some liquid to you water change water) ASAP!

symon_say

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2010
Dominican Republic
The bubbles are cause by the capillarity (don't if this is the word) of the surface have small hole and when submerged the free that air and fill the tank with then, they should go away in a few days.

Other reason of this bubbles is gases in the water some of then are free this way.

PS: Sorry if i could explained clear but there some technical words, that i could find the translate.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
If your water level is high enough, your filter shouldn't be adding any bubbles to the tank. None of mine do unless I let the water level drop too much (more than a half inch or so below the output of the filter).

As for stocking...you're going to want more than two cories. They are happiest when in bigger groups. Also, I wouldn't do albinos in a 29gal. They get pretty big (my biggest female is almost 2.5") and are really active. I would go for something like peppereds or pandas in a 29gal.

Curious as to why you want an algae eater. Are you planning on having copious amounts of algae? If you aren't, then I would not even bother with an algae eater, mainly because you'll have to supplement it with algae wafers (assuming it will eat them) if you don't have algae and algae wafers can really muck up your tank.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
well I would also like to ask if by algae eater you mean pleco, lots of people call them algae eaters.

If you did mean that then no don't get one.
Agreed...or a Chinese algae eater. Grow to 11" and get MEAN as they mature. Been known to suck the slime coat off slower-moving fish (your dwarf gourami would be a prime target). Nasty little critters that are useless as algae eaters once they hit about 5" or so. I know someone who had an 11" one in a 90gal African cichlid show tank. Yeah, those big, tough, "mean" cichlids would run and hide in the rocks if the CAE ventured away from the glass.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the info. That makes sense on the bubbles - I think my water level is a little lower than it should be. I will have to add more.

The water is cloudy now, which I read is normal within the first few days. I'm going to the LFS today to get the water treatment and the test kit. How many good readings do I need to have before I can start adding a few fish at a time?

Do I need to dump the entire tank and start over?

I'm going to go to the REAL LFS, instead of the big box store for the fish. The other place knew nothing about fish. Their people/cards said the albino cory catfish could live in 10+ gallons. I guess they are out. They also told me I could have Cherry Barbs, which is also wrong.

I don't want to have algae - which is why I wanted some type of algae eater. But it if won't be an issue, then I won't need one.

I am looking to have a peaceful tank. So no Cichlids, Plecos, etc. My friend told me she had a Dwarf Gourmai and it ate her other fish. I thought they were peaceful?

I think everything but the 6 Glofish is out. Guess it's time to start over on my list! People were right - I should have gone with the largest tank I could afford - because I'm finding out most of the things I want to stock my tank with won't work.:confused:. 29 gal seemed like a decent size tank, at the time lol

Last edited:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
If your tank has had water and a filter in it for 3+ days the chlorine has evaporated.

Buy a liquid test kit, you are going to need it.

Stock slowly, plecos are peaceful just not common plecos.

Wait till you have algae before you guy algae eaters, you may not end up with any.

symon_say

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2010
Dominican Republic
First you should read this:

Fishless Cycle

You fish selection is OK, the glofish is a peaceful active beautiful fish, dwarf gourami is peaceful to, but a little territorial and most of the time dependable of the fish character, if you want to be in the safe side get honey gourami instead, cories is one of my favorite fish but they must be keep in group, you might want to get at least 6 of then to make the comfortable, and see then doing their magic in your fish tank.

As you can see in my signature i have a similar fish selection, that what you want, they do fine and i haven't have any problem at all.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks guys. I bought a HeadStart Aquarium Conditioning Pack. It came with 3 bottles - 1 Prime (Make the water safe), 2 Stability (Prevent new tank syndrome), and 3 Clarity (clear cloudy water).

I also purchased a Mardel In-Tank Meter that's a pH, Temperature, and Ammonia Monitor. The ammonia is yellow (safe). Temp is still at 74-76.

The pH is very high - 8.2

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Not sure about the "in tank things" as I have never used them, but fr testing water most of use API's master test kit. No need to add anything but the prime, the cloudyness is likely due to the fact your tank is cylcling. You should NOT add any fish until your tank is done cylcling.

+1 to Paige about the Cories, more then 2!
+1 also goes to Nanu-only by a pleco if needed (Bristle Nose should be OK)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ok well I don't know how efficent the in tank deal-e-doos are but id take my water into the pet store, a sample of pure tap water, as well as a sample of fish tank water. Have them check both, if both PH readings are that high you need to re-thing your stocking plan.

If your tap is normal 7ish then you did something to the tank to drive it up that high and we need to diagnose that problem.

Have a pro check the water and report the results please, DO NOT buy PH chems, i don't care what they tell you, don't buy them, don't use them.

Feb 18, 2011
The pH is now down to 7.4 - guess it hadn't been long enough for an accurate reading. How many days should I wait for the readings to be the same before adding fish? I'm going to add very few fish at first - maybe 3 Zebra Danios, or something similar.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Bostonboxer, if you want to get a peaceful algae eater, ten get Otocinclus'. They only get to about 1.5 inches and they are very docile. They do a very good job of eating algae and poop WAY less than Plecos. For a tank of your size, I would say 3-5 Otos would be good. That is, when you get algae. Wait for around 6 months to get an algae eater. This will ensure that they don't starve. Algae Eaters, especially Otos, like peas and blanched (bioled for 2 minutes then cooled) zucchini. I would go with some Tetras and fish that don't like to nip at fins. If the females are in a community tank at the store, then you can get a few female Bettas. Just expect them to arrange a hierarchy. Good luck on your tank!!*crazysmil

Feb 18, 2011
Will one of the big chain stores test my water, or do I need to go to my LFS? Can't get to the LFS until Saturday - but could get to one of the other places Thurs.

Oct 29, 2010
They may do it - but don't listen if they just tell you the water is "good." Ask for ammonia, NitrAte, and NitrIte. Maybe even write these down :).

If you can manage 20 bucks for the test kit, you definitely won't regret it! It will quite possibly last you the rest of your fishkeeping career, and make many diagnostics so much easier :D

Feb 18, 2011
They may do it - but don't listen if they just tell you the water is "good." Ask for ammonia, NitrAte, and NitrIte. Maybe even write these down :).

If you can manage 20 bucks for the test kit, you definitely won't regret it! It will quite possibly last you the rest of your fishkeeping career, and make many diagnostics so much easier :D
Okay, I will just get my own kit. The thing I got today only does pH & ammonia. This is one expensive hobby *twirlysmi

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
+1 on IThinkTherefore - buy your own liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will save yourself time and heartbreak over the long term. Think of these expenses as helping ensure the fish you do eventually purchase live longer happier lives . . . .