where to drill holes?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
SUCCESS!! i got the tank drilled today :D wow was that nerve racking now i just gotta make my over flows and ill be set
I am sure it was!! Good to know everything went well. So where did you get the holes drilled( top, bottom) a few pics would be great! Keep us updated with the progress.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i still cant find my usb cable so even though im taking pics ill have to hold off on posting them ..... the location is the back side of the tank on each end... i got them 3" over and 3" down .... now i just need to figure out the exact dimensions of the overflows so i can get the glass cut and get started on them :D like brackman said i was guna do them 10" x 5" x 5" but that seems a little big ..do u think 8" x 4" x 4" would work?? or do u think thats too small??

Last edited:
I'm not sure 4" tall would be tall enough, when you said 3" down, you mean from the bottom of the plastic trim right... if so then the depth/height of you box is going to need to be bigger. 8" wide will be ok and 4" front to back will be ok, but what I would do is put your bulk head in and measure from the bottom of your trim to the bottom of the BH and add 1/2" - 1", thats the measurement you need to use for the height of you overflow box

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok ive decided 8" long 4" wide and 5" deep is going to be ok ( i made them outta cardboard to get an idea and i think itll be fine ) ill be going to get the glass cut later tonite :D and was wondering how far down i want them to be siliconed?? i mean how much do you think the water will raise up above the overflows??? or will it even raise above them at all?? if it helps i plan on getting a mag9 for the return :cool:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well im moving over the weekend so i should definitly find the usb cable than (along with a few other things that are missing :D )... belive me more than you wanna see the pics id like to post them *crazysmil

TRe, I can honestly say you have confused me now :confused: *laughingc ....
what are you talking about how far up the silicone needs to go and how high up the water will go over the overflow???? :eek:

The water has to go over them thats how they work *crazysmil hahaha...

I think what your asking is how far down in the tank they need to be? If so, I would would just line them up with the bottom of the black trim (or maybe slightly above the bottom of the trim), that way your water level wont be bellow your tank's trim. You really only want about a 1/8"- 1/4" sheet of water to fall over the top of the overflow, otherwise it wont really skim the top of you water properly. a mag 9.5 might be too much flow for just return from your sump...dont know you'll just have to try it. I'm only using a mag 5 with almost 5' of head for my return, which only gives me about 250- 300 gph, the rest of my flow is being made up with a closed loop.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was just curious cause with the hob overflow on my 55g the water was always a little above the actual overflow...so the water should only raise up as far as i put the over flows right??? and if each over flow is 600 gph thats 1200 gph total why would a mag9 be too much ??? what return would you suggest??

Not sure the 9.5 will be too much...just have to try it and see. You only want the water to get about 1/8"-1/4" above the overflow at the most, otherwise they wont be as effective in skimming the surface of the water. You just need to make sure that the 9.5 doesnt pump to much water back into your tank too fast, so that your water level is higher than that. Make sense?

Slower flow over/through overflow = better surface skimming

You can always make up the rest of your needed flow with a closed loop or powerheads

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea makes sense ... right now i have a crappy 600 gph return from the 55 thatll have to do for a month or so any ways so well just have to wait and see

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i had hoped to get the tank back up and running this weeked but ive just had to much going on between the closing on the new house, installing tile,installing laminate floors, painting, moving ... i guess itll have to wait till next weekend but ill keep you guys posted and ill be sure to take lots of pics :D