Which synthetic salt mix do you use?

Which synthetic salt mix do you use?

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm wondering where most people are with salt mixes, as most of my customers seem happy (or blind) with Instant Ocean and the counltess additives they use.

I personally go with Tropic Marin's Pro Reef and couldn't be happier. So, what do you guys like, and why?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I personally like reef crystals but I have really considered trying tropic marin's pro reef. I use reef crystals because it has all I need with what I have for right now. Now that I have good lights I soon hope to expand my coral collection. Once you have a set schedule and/or method of dosing it can be very easy and painless. You just have to know what your tank consumes.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm using Oceanic. It's what our LFS sells. The only other options here are to go to PetCo, which I'd rather not do, or order online. I like to be able to go pick up a bucket in case of emergency, and not have to store a whole bunch of buckets.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I use IO because it is the standard, and my tank seems to be fine. I have not tried anything else, but everyone seems to be crazy over the TM Pro salt. I just can't bring myself to pay twice as much for a bucket of salt.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I have used io, reef crystals, Kent, Red Sea, Elos, TM Pro and a couple different aqua medic salts and the only one I didn't especially like was an aquamedic salt that came in low on alk as the ca was jacked up so high. I can't really tell the difference - I have some buckets of proreef now as it had the best price. I don't rely on salt to keep Ca up anyway - that's not realistic most often. Frankly I really like best instant ocean

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
i used to use red sea but there measuring scale was weird it was by pound? I just wanted one that i could look at and say O this is for a gallon so ill use 1/4 cup or w/e it is

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have used the seachem reef salt and found that it left sediment in the bottom......the TM andTM Pro Reef mixes clear instantly and leaves not residue or crust......mixes nice and clear right away. I have even used it immediately in a pinch......it seems to measure up on ca/ph right away without any adjustments by me.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I use Deep Ocean.... its dirt cheap and surisingly not that bad ($52 for a 150 gal mix, plus 20 percnt discount for me) , contrary to some belief. When it comes down to it, salt is salt sure one has more this, one more that, but realisticly with waterchanges I get my trace elements, and a nice Ca level of 450. Though when my never ending bucket diminishes I will go tropic marin. Why? Because I can.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i get my salt pre-mixed.... one lfs i go to uses io and the other says they use actual ocean water...... even though the ocean water kinda scares me i use both