Who can tell me what species Cichlid this is?

Jul 26, 2009
Texas
I have this amazing cichlid. He was the only one of his kind at the store and wasn't labeled. He has stripes all the way from his face to the end of his body and is colored dark blue, light blue, yellow and a bright pink. The store employee told me they are usually very aggressive. Who can help me identify my fish?

Attachments

Jul 26, 2009
Texas
Thanks for you feedback. But I have to ask if you are absolutely sure? For one, my fish doesn't look like any peacock cichlid I have ever come across. And another thing, the salesman told me my fish was very aggressive, and was even worried he might kill all my other 6 fish, aren't peacocks known to be less aggressive than most?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got red shoulder peacocks and body shape is the same as ur fish. and mine fights off my maingano so they can be agressive. and I must say that is a beautiful fish.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Thats for sure a peacock. I would guess the LFS got him with a big bag of "assorted africans" and well he was assorted.... he probably wasn't colored up when they got him in, and when he got purdy he got his own tank and a high dollar price tag.

Man though that is a good lookin fish, he is colored up sooo nicely!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah i have an LFS by me that has random stuff in an assorted Africans tank. I always have to look, I got Kaiser I's out of there one day, a group of 5 that i sold for a hundred bucks 2 weeks later at an auction. ;)

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Looks possibly like cross between peacock and possibly Fenestratus.
So much inbreeding nowdays. Is handsome fish and prolly male.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
THE RED TAIL 44 is a hap i would still venture to say peacock (peacocks are a sub group of haps) color variants in peacocks are not species so much as they are color variants (black and white cats are the same species ya know?)

in any event he is a good looking fish

not sure what was meant about "most inbred around" as most fish with fancy colors (guppies electric blue jacks peacocks etc) are bread to their brothers and sisters repeatedly to get desired color patterns

inbreeding is problematic because it allows for recessive traits that would generally be rare (such as color but also curved spines etc) to show up as the babies get the recessive gene from the mother and father giving them the trait (if this sounds like greek to you google pundit square)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Some people just like the look of some Tropical fish with a pretty, colorful Marine background. Nothing wrong with that. My dad got me a colorful coral background (absolutely gorgeous!!) for my fry tank. The fish seem to like the colors.