Why do i keep getting ick?

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
Ive done what my local pro's tell me, and done lot's of research from turning the UV off carbon filter out, regular gravel clean's, water changes, medication, salt etc. it will go away than three days it will be back, this has been going on for one month now and it's really annoying is it because the gravel collect all the waste etc.? i have tried sand substrate but it's a b to clean and take lot's of care i go to school full time and work full time as well i can tend the take everyday but i need more than petco/petsmart worker's to guide me through this hard time, i love my fish in there and so does my son but if it's going to wipe of half my fish everytime i get ick there's no point in keeping it:(

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
How long have you had your tank?

What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate readings?

What temp are you keeping your tank?

How many gallons is the tank?

What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

Ich is like the common cold, it is everywhere no one has a house that is germ free, noone has a fish tank that is ich free. But under healthy living conditions the PEOPLE in a house can be cold free and the FISH in a tank can be ich free.

Stree from, dramatic temperature changes, new fish, ammonia/nitrites or very high nitrates can all contribute to your fish getting sick.

Raising the temperature in your tank to around 84/85 and adding aquarium salt can help reduce ich and speed up it's life cycle so that it goes away sooner, although just because the fish don't have spots anymore doesn't mean they are out of the woods (as you are learning).

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
It can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to be rid of ich. It depends on the life cycle of the eggs. Meds don't normally kill the eggs. You have to wait for them to hatch under continuous treatment or the hatched eggs will make more eggs, and you'll be right back at square one.

I would suggest cranking your heat to 85, adding a dash of aquarium salt (like, a single tablespoon, pre-mixed with dechlorinated water) and increasing your oxygen content for at least two weeks. It's generally a safer practice than meds, and works just as well, if not better.

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
thx

thx alot for the reply's the level's are not normal and ive had the tank for about 3 years but did not start getting back into it until four months ago, my heater does not have a adjustable knob so i know im going to need that, and also my temp does range from 70-74 constant it never raises higher and what kind of salt should i use? im glad i joined this site because petco/petsmart told me that the salt and raising the temp can kill the fish they had me just buy there all-in-one treatment and it's not working, and what about the gravel vs. sand? is gravel going to make the common ick come back because of it collecting between the rocks or is sand much better? shed some light on this newbie :)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Use API Aquarium Salt, you can get a big box of it (65oz) at Petsmart for $8. It goes a long way and you need a tablespoon for every 5 gallons. I put 2 tablespoons in my 10 gallon fish tanks to prevent stress. My fish love it!! If you want, you can change 25% of the water and make sure the water is 78-80F before you decholrinate it and put it in your tank. Do things to prevent heat loss from your tank water.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Yeah, ok so the temp changing 4 degrees on either way all the time is not a good situation for your fish. That could be causing some it this.

the heater you have is bad, buy a new one with a knob.
biOrb and biUbe Tropical Heater - Heaters & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

I like this heater it has a temp gauge as well as numbers on the knob, make sure you get the right size for your tank.

Gravel sand doesn't matter

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Salt-65 oz - Medications - Fish - PetSmart
this is the salt you want, it comes in tons of sizes the big size is pictured here smaller sizes are less expensive follow the instructions for illness

They use salt in the tanks at petsmart and petco so i don't know what they were talking about when they said it would kill your fish (they put it in plastic cups with holes in the cups to reduce stress in their tanks) you can see if right in the tanks at the stores

buy this test kit while you are there EVERY hobbyist needs one, I would guess your ammonia/nitrites are probably high as well, that being said the cure all for any fish illness is clean water, start doing more water changes add salt to the water as you add it back to the tank.

Best of luck, once you get your tank straightened out it won't be this hard to maintain healthy fish.

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
thanks a lot this information is the best i have received, and with knowing what you said about the salt, i guess the people were not liking me and i'm going back today to confront there false advice*SUNSMILE*

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
honestly if you were at a chain store the problem was the person you spoke to was just not very knowledgeable not that they willfully gave you bad advice, they have no stake in the company they really don't care if you spend a dollar or a million dollars.

Honestly the folks at pet stores are just... well... ya know... dumb

if you find a good lfs there will be some odd looking person there with a wealth of knowledge who would love to tell you all about fish, that guy/gal (generally a guy) will have like 20 tanks at home and usually looks like he needs a shower in my experience. Thats the guy to talk to :) or us. Incidentally I need a shower as well lol

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Ive done what my local pro's tell me
Pro's at petsmart/co? I have not run into one of those....ever! LOL The advice given so far is spot on. Raise the temp and gravel vac and be patient. Ick is always in the tank, fish get sick from stress usually from poor water conditions. In your case it could be from the 4 degree temp swing. You said your water condtion was normal. What are the excact readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
if you find a good lfs there will be some odd looking person there with a wealth of knowledge who would love to tell you all about fish, that guy/gal (generally a guy) will have like 20 tanks at home and usually looks like he needs a shower in my experience. Thats the guy to talk to :) or us. Incidentally I need a shower as well lol
My smart ones tend to shuffle when they walk and always look a little distracted. They never seem to get excited, but if you get them started on a fish related topic you can't shut them up. It's like rainman.

"It's a Fluval A-218 FX5 Canister Filter. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me change the water. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday."

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Pro's at petsmart/co? I have not run into one of those....ever! LOL The advice given so far is spot on. Raise the temp and gravel vac and be patient. Ick is always in the tank, fish get sick from stress usually from poor water conditions. In your case it could be from the 4 degree temp swing. You said your water condtion was normal. What are the excact readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates?
Right, I get the impression that her "good" water was tested by a genius at petco as well, they dipped it with a test stick from a can that has been open for far too long handled and never been correctly closed... Readings probably weren't great even with that standard if the tank is that new and swinging likt that I'd bet they are still somewhere in the nitrite part of the cycle. (I am a pessimist)

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
My LFS has 2 employees, the owner who is like 70 and a geeky kid. They are both very knowledgeable about fish. I usually only deal with the owner, he knows my tanks and my stocking.....There are other LFS in the are, but I only buy from mine. If I see something I really like at another store, my LFS gets it for me!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ummm I buy from a pricey one that is far away and pay far more then anywhere else because I like them, they are located in a high market value part of town so they have to price up to offset this... The guy i like wears camo shorts with black sneakers every day(even in the winter), and looks a bit like Danny McBride.

I do have a breeder and an importer that i also like to use, she has no teeth and could tuck her boobs into her pants (wears no bra)... Totally hot... She also chain smokes... Has 300 tanks in a 1200sq foot house that is falling down around her... CREEPY lady, but AMAZING fish.

The third store I got to is full of morons the old man who owns it is into salt but is knowledgeable about fresh, mostly though it is just a ton of highschool kids that are friends with his grand kids who don't know jack... Fish are always healthy just not a resource...

I have bought fish at both petsmart and petco, they were fine, they are retarded there but with a coupon I can get good deals on dry goods... Again just have to know who to trust.

I would say that the creepier they look... the more they likely know. lol

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I look super creepy thats why I know so much... Ask Mike (DrewandDylansdad) we are friends on facebook lol. ;)

joking, previous posts about creepy guys were made tongue in cheek, well sort of...

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I do have a breeder and an importer that i also like to use, she has no teeth and could tuck her boobs into her pants (wears no bra)... Totally hot... She also chain smokes... Has 300 tanks in a 1200sq foot house that is falling down around her... CREEPY lady, but AMAZING fish.
Sounds "Totaly Hot" Please post a pic....LOL :eek:

I have bought fish from the big chains and other LFS, the one time I bought a new filter was at Pet smart with a coupon, got a great deal! I now only buy all my supplies from my LFS. His prices are, in most cases cheaper then the big stores and I don't mind paying more from him to help support the store. I think we all need to think what would happen if the LFS near you closes because of no business....

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
My lfs has great prices and for the people who realize that they have a website, you can print out a 15% coupon. They're fish are amazing and they even have Seahorses!! I love to go there and watch them. I also like how their Goldfish now recognize me and follow me around. They have a Pearlscale and I want it!!!

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
Ok so i put the aquarium salt in and turned up the heat do i keep putting in salt everyday and for how many days if so? i have not added any yet but just wondering if i do. Thanks. Also does anyone know a good site to get small feeder's?