Why do i keep getting ick?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Feeders contribute to parasites in your fish, they kill fish, don't have a lot of nutritional value, and cause ich outbreaks. I would feed your fish theese personally

HBH Super Cichlid Sinkers:: Fresh Bulk Aquarium Fish Food and Supplies
Your Fish Color Flakes :: Fresh Bulk Aquarium Fish Food and Supplies
Your Fish Cichlid Flakes :: Fresh Bulk Aquarium Fish Food and Supplies

and then any of these for a treat :)
Fish Food - Freeze Dried Foods - Your Fish Stuff Store

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Ditto to the new heater, higher water temp, salt, and a good clean.

You said you'd been doing regular water changes and gravel vacs, but I don't think you mentioned how often. Because of the ick life-cycle, I'd suggest daily gravel vacs until you have been ick-free for, say, two weeks. You are exactly right, the little skin flakes fall off to the bottom of the tank and then reinfect the fish. I'd vac, maybe, 25% of your water daily.

And what kind of fish do you have in your tank? Check the "fish profiles" to be sure you know what temperature they all like. There is a bit of variation between species. For now, turning the temp up will help get rid of the ick, but then you need to be sure you have a temp that is a happy medium for everyone in your tank. Bettas, for example, get cold very easily, and when they do, they get ick. I politely suggested to my local PetCo that if they are going to keep them in tiny cups with no heater, they should at least move them away from the draft by the front door. They did move the display, and there aren't nearly so many dead ones floating around now. :) Still very depressing to walk by the display, but it seems to have helped.