would removing gravel be a bad idea?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
would removing gravel be a bad idea? cuz man its hard to clean the tank with it in there... my gravel vac must not be very good... i want to clean the tank 100% without changing all the water...

Jul 21, 2006
uk northampton
i personally would think yes it would be a bad idea, as the bottom dwelling fish scrounge around the gravel looking for food which helps clean the tank also with no gravel means no plants which in turn leads to more pollution creating a viscious circle which you intended to avoid in the beginning......

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i have read u can put plants on drift wood... and removing the gravel would allow me to clean the tank 100% but tiny would pry be upset... oto wouldnt mind he never touches the bottom

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Quite a few people do run bare bottomed tanks. I can't say how it would work with the pleco, as I have never kept one, but as for all the other fish I'd say it would be a good thing, just from what I have heard, not from any personal experience other than my hospital tank.
You can keep potted plants in a bare bottom tank. It would be much easier to clean, I believe.
How thick is your gravel? How are your nitrate readings? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there's some reason your gravel is staying dirty enough to be giving you problems. Is overfeeding a possibility? Is the pleco producing too much waste? I usually vacuum about half my tank with each water change of 25-40% and it's not dirty enough to make me want to continue until the water is nearly gone, which it sounds as though that's what you are experiencing.

amd

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
north carolina asheville area
looking at ur sig, you will probbably not like whAT I AM GOING TO say BeCAUse The GrAVeL ConTaIN ALOt Of THE bacTEria tHAT kEEp THe Tank HEAlTHy SO YOU WILL PRoBaBBLy LOsE FiSH FRom AmmOnIa SpIkEs. only a few plants will be easy to attatch to driftwood. If the siphon is not strong enought to clean gravel thourughly, get a new bigger one or try lowering the out end of the hose further, i noticed that hooking my python to the sink takes a while to drain and has weak vacume, but i took it from the faucet once its goin to the toilet and viola, it drains 10x faster. i think i would steeer way far away from that road imho.

amd

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
north carolina asheville area
yeah, thats what id do first. the reason i said no to taking way gravel is that the bio filter has established itself in the gravel so you would be removing alot of bacteria, however if you had established the tank with no gravel, there would be no prob.... but why no gravel, isnt that hideous. unless your breeding or selling fish i think that no gravewl just looks odd! (trying to be nice, i know some dont use gravel, my opinion tho)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Actually, a larger vacuum will make it harder for you to clean the tank without taking out a lot more water. Larger vacuums have larger tubes, so the water drains before you can properly clean the gravel if you're using one that's too big.

It sounds to me like you need to practice more with your gravel vacuum. A lot of people will vacuum only about 1/2 of the gravel with each water change, and do the other half the next week.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I think Pure has mentioned to you before, you don't need to vac your gravel every time your do a water change. I very rarely vac my gravel and when I do, I only do the areas behind rocks and wood and stuff and leave the areas near plants alone.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I did say that, but I was more pointing to someone needing to do more than one water change a week. The gravel bed should be vaced once a week.

Personally I vac the bed 100% each week. I would rather the colonies be stronger in my filters. I tend to change my tanks around a lot and like to be free to remove the gravel if I want without any ill effects. Not to mention this makes for an overall cleaner tank.

And bare bottomed tanks if done with a lil aquascaping in mind can be very pleasant to look at.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Tanks/ShannenDiscusTank.jpg

Edit: In the case of the origional poster...Don't remove your gravel until your done cycling. They told you why up there ^

Last edited:

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
hmm. my siphon sucked at pressure (haha i made a pun). but just today i bought a lsightly bigger one and i worked wonders. with more pressure, it obvously sucks harder, so all the nastiness in my tank comes up easy, but you have to move fast

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Pure said:
I did say that, but I was more pointing to someone needing to do more than one water change a week. The gravel bed should be vaced once a week.

Personally I vac the bed 100% each week. I would rather the colonies be stronger in my filters. I tend to change my tanks around a lot and like to be free to remove the gravel if I want without any ill effects. Not to mention this makes for an overall cleaner tank.

And bare bottomed tanks if done with a lil aquascaping in mind can be very pleasant to look at.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Tanks/ShannenDiscusTank.jpg

Edit: In the case of the origional poster...Don't remove your gravel until your done cycling. They told you why up there ^
Thanks for the clarification :) I disagree with the need to vac 100% every week but that's just a matter of opinion.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
okie im still gonna try a bigger vac and im gonna do 100% each time but probbly 10gals of water out each time... or is that 2 much each water change with a 30g?

and pure is that one of ur tanks cuz its awsome...!!!

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Pure said:
If you kept a dog in a cage. When you cleaned the cage..would you only remove half the poo?

Think about it.
I wouldn't keep a dog in cage...but that's a bit off the subject isn't? We disagree about vacuuming our tanks. Not sure why it matters...