would removing gravel be a bad idea?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
There are plenty of circumstances where a 100% gravel vac wouldn't just be unnecessary, it would be harmful (I'm thinking here of some saltwater tank, and heavily planted tanks).

Now that isn't to say I don't do darn close to a 100% gravel vac most of the time, for many of the same reasons you do. But there are a lot of exceptions, some of them very important to the poster in particular. Gracing people with "something to think about", without providing a couple of the relevant exceptions can lead to some misunderstandings.

As was noted above, the bio-filter in this tank is still establishing itself, and his power filter needs all the help it can get at the moment. An argument can be made that he shouldn't vac his gravel at all until his cycle is well and truly completed.

But again... exceptions... His tank is marginally overstocked with some big waster producers, so in this case, it's a tossup, IMO. Gonna be a long painful process in either case. I think I'd go for a 50% vac for the next couple weeks, but that's just my opinion.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
shh dont tell everyone im overstocked.. i couldnt help they just were all so cool... well i plan on doing a 50% gravel vac then every other day... if i got rid of the tetras would i still be overstocked?

edit i can also get rid of the snails...

or i could talk to ralph see if he will take my plec :( but then i would need to get a new type of pleco a smaller one... do choclate plecs
http://www.planetcatfish.com/scripts/clog_link.php?q=glyptoperichthys+scrophus get big or the ones with black and white lines running down there body?

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry Jwrite. You are right. Those are exceptions..

I will add that this is the second time you've brought up salt water tanks in response to one of my posts. Now I know your on a salt kick...but please. If we were talking about salt water tanks we would be in that forum.

Dclown, there are only a couple of potential problems with your stock. What to do with fry...livebearers will over run a tank if given a chance. And the pleco. Other than that you look good to me.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The Chocolate will eventually out grow your tank.

The other one you mentioned sounds like you are talking about a member of the hypancistrus species. Any of them will fit in your tank without a problem, but they are meat eaters and will not touch algae. This is fine as long as you know that.

Here is a list of hypancistrus, click on the thumbnail for the species you want to look at. PlanetCatfish :: Cat-eLog :: Thumbnails of species

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
hes about 4 or 5 inch with tail maybe? he hangs out in his cave all day so its hard to tell

edit how long is a fully grown neon tetra? ill compare him to the size of the tetra...