Yellow Tang

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm trying to find one or two more fish to add to my tank before I call it quits. Rigth now I have 2 percs, yellow watchman goby, 2 firefish. I was going to add a flame angel, but don't want to take the change of it eating my xenia.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yellow tang would work... probably be the last fish, and you might be able to squeeze in a small fairy wrasse and end it there.

What are you looking for? there are many attractive centropyge other than flames such as coral beautys, eibls angels, rusty angels, that are usually so so with reef safeness (maybe a pick here and there) but coral beautys arent that bad usually.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Eibliis worse than flames , worse than rusties, worse than CB's. Yellow tangs aren't 100% either, but everyone ignores that fact. Xenia is very appealing to some fish

tytus

Small Fish
Sep 19, 2006
*SUNSMILE* speaking of yellow tangs.....seeing as the question was opened....,
I have a 100 gal. tank with 2 chromis, 1 ocellaris, 1 royal gramma, a 6-line wrasse, 1 firefish, 1 kole tang and 1 copperband butterfly.
I have a few easy corals and an anemone that has split 2 times! (thank goodness the clown finally figured it out just last month and enjoys all of them!) The tank has been up for 19 months; I also have 2 bloodshrimp, 2 dancing shrimp and a blue starfish, and assorted bristle/serpent starfish, hermitcrabs and snails.
Everything seems in perfect balance right now: nothing has died for quite a long while.
Even though I would hate to upset the balance, I long for a few more fish.
How would a yellow tang add to the mix? The 2 tangs shapes are different and therefore, being added last, the yellow should adjust easily~according to my fave fish store~however, their summmer has been terribly slow and I'm afraid they are desperate to make any sale!
The last fish I'd like would be a flame angel. If you all agree on these 2 guys, I would like to get them in at the same time rather than individually~what do you think?
This is a great site; I just discovered you, not really being on the computer that much (killing time now waiting for a fax to come thru before I leave the office for the day).
Thanks in advance for any advice you fellow fishermen have to offer~!:D

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Tytus, sounds like a plan, though I am not sure about the yellow and the kole they may have issues....though I think yellows are more aggressive and as you are adding it last it may be okay......you could add a hippo.....and a flame

tytus

Small Fish
Sep 19, 2006
I would Love a Hippo but worry about HLLE; what are the chances of Hippos getting ich and such? Are they more susceptible than other tangs?
Also, would it be wise to add a hippo and a flame angel at the same time? I think these would be my last fish for the tank. Unless anyone can give me some better ideas?....:rolleyes: :confused: *SUPERSMIL ;) *thumbsups
BluBlueILoveBlue~!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Any dwarf angel would be nice. I would be concerned wi th a yellow tang giving the copperband a beating. Tank might be a bit small for a hippo , depending if it's tall or not. (Tall is bad). If you're worried about ich, qt it for 6 weeks.

tytus

Small Fish
Sep 19, 2006
thanks Wayne~
if tangs are no good (can't stand the thought of 6 long weeks of QT: besides, I read that hippos would be better off & less stressed going straight in without QT, but why chance it!)
~ what would you all suggest as my final fish? I am definitely going to get a flame angel, but would like... just...one...more...fish......*twirlysmi

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can't stand the thought of 6 weeks QT ....? Well time flies pretty fast, but lets put it this way, most wild fish have ich at a subcriticaøl level. If ich gets established in your tank, you can either pull everything out for copper and hypo fir 6 to 8 weeks, or leave it and hope for the best , as there is no effective reefsafe cure. In that case you will certainly lose the kole, the copperband and the angel, if not the lot.

Do you want to gamble? Sure you can take the pain of losing?

tytus

Small Fish
Sep 19, 2006
nononono~wayne, you totally misunderstood me: I said that I read that hippos would be better off without QT, "but why chance it?" That meant that I wouldn't get any tang, so "then what would you guys suggest as my final fish", -- if I'm planning 10 fish for my 100 gal., I have 8 now and will definitely want to get a flame angel as one of the last fish.
Sorry about that...*PEACE!*

aresgod: I like bartlett anthias , is that the same thing as a basslet?..would it pick a fight with my gramma?

By the way, I read that bit about not QT'ing in WetWebMedia (Bob Fenner), who I was told to understand as 'The Sage of Fish'...here's the quote:

Introduction/Acclimation

This is one of those species that are better off not being purposely quarantined; put another way, IMO (in my opinion), the stress induced via isolation and re-moving Paracanthurus is generally more harmful than the risk of introduction of some contagion. I would run newcomers through a preventative bath/dip of pH adjusted freshwater and promptly place them in the main/display unit.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
An anthias isn't the same thing as a basslet. Anthias are related to wrasses, but are much harder to keep and generally need to be fed around 5x a day. Your gramma is a type of basslet and will fight with other basslets (and pseudochromis too, I think).

If you like angels, maybe see what other people think about adding a flame and another type of dwarf angel (at the same time). It should be a big enough tank for them to coexist, but I'm not positive.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sorry, my bad. I tihnk you'll find Bob has changed his tune, but you can always read around and see what Anthony Calfo, Steve Pro and other current/former members of the crew have to say. I can't see why hippos should be especially hard to QT - I've qt'ed other small tangs for the full 6 to 8 no bother, and I would have thought hippos to be easier to maintain in QT as they aren't specific herbivores and are easier to feed.