yucky tank and big goldfish

Jan 31, 2006
Okay, I have a 30-gal tank w/ 8 large fantails in it. -I know this is way too many, but at the time i didn't know they'd get that big and I can't do anything about it now, i'm not going to just flush them!
So, my problem is: our tank is sooo cloudy all the time, it has a brownish tint to it, the bubble stick/air tube/filter tube/any decorations we put in it are constantly covered by slimy brown goo. It's not fish poop, because we clean all of that out. we don't overfeed, either. What causes this brown slime/algae? and most importantly, how do we get rid of it?
We clean our tank every week, by the way. we used to do a complete 100% change (because it is necessary- believe me) but we received some advice about doing partial water changes every week, which is what we now do. Oh and we use "Start Right" too.
Thanks so much!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
not sure what start right is...assuming its some type of water conditioner (dechlorinator)?

most everyone suggests about 35% once a week for a water change on a normally stocked tropical tank...with an overstocked goldfish tank, I'd say 50% twice a week, or 100% once a week probably isn't out of the question. You could try having double filtration on it (pop another filter on? what type do you have now?)

Generally diatoms (brown algae) can be caused by not enough light and not sure, maybe too many nitrates? do you test your water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? Might give you an idea of just how overstocked the tank is and that no matter how many water changes and gravel vacs you do, you're just never going to catch up.

An excuse for a bigger tank?? :D (welcome to mft!)

Jan 31, 2006
Yes, start right is stuff to put in the water to balance everything. We use it weekly. We have a filter from Walmart, I think it says Tetra whisperer on it... i dont know if that helps or not. it's a large filter, but probably not large enough.
About the nitrates etc: I did test the water almost a year ago when we first got the tank, but i kindof gave up on the idea since nothing seemed to help. we practically bought out walmart of all the chemicals, which i also heard is unnecessary.
Yeah, i wish we could get a bigger tank, but i doubt that will ever happen. We got this one for free! :)

Thanks for ur help, i appreciate it, and wil gladly listen to other peoples'!!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Do you vacuum the tank when you water change? That might help some, if you aren't doing it already. Maybe you could add another filter or a powerhead or something to keep the water moving, might help stop the brown gunk from collecting.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
That helps...so its a HOB (hang on back) powerfilter, tetra whisper. Not a bad filter. If you invested in a canister filter, or a 2nd filter it'd probably help a bit, but honestly there isn't any magical fix. You need fewer fish or a bigger tank. Tanks are not cheap...but you could try something like www.craigslist.com and keep an eye out for a 90G setup for a hugely discounted price? If a larger tank is totally out of the question you might think about putting an ad ON craigslist for your community looking for a good home for like half of your fish or something? I'm sure others will have some input for you too.

Jan 31, 2006
We usually take the gravel out and clean it and dump it back in. When we do our 100% water changes... i'll start doing 50% ones, more light and see if that helps a little and look into a bigger filter. Any websites where we can get some??
Thanks!

Jan 31, 2006
Okay. So i know nothing at all about filters. Any suggestions? also, if you say we have diatoms, would a diatom filter help? (FYI - I'm a bio major so i understand this stuff) What about undergravel filters? If i'm going to buy a filter i want to make sure its the best for the price and that it will help our problem. (though i do understand that we have too many fish)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no...their bacteria is mostly in their filter. Its probably not incredibly helpful to take all the rocks out and clean them...would do just as good to do a gravel vac each water change though instead.

Some people say no to a UGF, but sometimes they work well when you're using it as the 2nd type of filtration in a tank and are sure to keep up with the cleaning. Installing a UGF would mean taking out all the gravel, most people consider that the biggest pain...but it sounds like you're used to it heh and it would definitely be the cheapest option for you to try (aside from giving some of your fish away...). IF you decided to try the UGF route you would no longer want to take your gravel out and wash it. You'd want to vaccuum the gravel while in the tank because as mudracer mentioned, all of those rocks will have good bacteria on them because they are your 'filter media' for a UGF.

Diatom filter...dunno. Dont usually mention them around here maybe someone will pipe up?? If it was a tropical tank I'd say get some otocinclus in there...but they're not coldwater fish and your goldies would probably think they were put in there for a snack :)

Your other options are HOB filters (like the one you have but all different brands and versions, some are made for huge tanks, other for smaller tanks but basically all the same filter type. They hang on the tank.) or Canister filters...which are usually designed for larger tanks, but basically have a bigger capacity for filtration. The filter part is a big...canister...that sits below the tank level (usually on the floor) with two hoses going into the tank...one sucking water out and pushing it through the filter media in the canster and the other putting it back into the tank. That'd be an option for you, but it is a more expensive type of filter overall. The best type is eheim...and you'll see they're very expensive. I have a fluval 304 on my 46 and its done a good job. Others have a RenaXP and they really like them.

Have you tried carbon in your filter as a way to get rid of some of the cloudyness?

Also, you shouldn't replace the filter cartridge in your whisper as often as the box says...but you should rinse it in used tank water every time you do a change. I imagine with such a high bioload you may have to replace it more often than a more lightly stocked tank though...I usually only replace mine once or twice a year.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
I used to have an overstocked tank as well (much less overstocked than yours). I did 35-40% water change a week and the nitrate level still managed to be around 150 ppm. I dunno, maybe it was my mom putting food in when I wasn't looking or something, but that still can't compare with your stocking situation.

So what FroggyFox said was definitely good advice. Maybe even 3, 50% water changes a week might be required if you continue to stick with this 30 gallon tank and the same amount of fish. I know your local pet/fish store will probably take some of them off your hands.

Sep 8, 2005
You need to do 50% water changes 2-3 times a week. You are seriously overstocked and your fish will eventually start showing some signs of illness from this. Your diatom algae is an indication that there is a problem. Too much ammonia and nitrates. You can get a rena filstar xp3 for $94 at bigalsonline [canister filter] or if you are on a budget get the aqua clear 110. It's about $40 [hob filter].
Please consider another home for some of your goldfish or a bigger tank. In the mean time step up the water changes and filtration. An algae scrubber will wipe the yucky brown algae off the glass.
I have 5 goldfish in a 70 gal and i change close to 50% water twice a week if not more. I also run a rena xp3 and an aqua clear 110 on the tank.

Persimmon

Small Fish
Jan 31, 2006
Takling out the rocks and cleaning them can make the tank toxic. A lot of gunk gets stored in there and honestly, you should be taking all out, or just leave like a 1/4 of an inch to give your fish more water room. They don't need the gravel.

You need at LEAST a 100 gallon tank for the fish you have and dang, if you are going to keep them in that crowded arena, at least do the testing on a daily basis of all prams, change the water accordingly and get ANOTHER good filter on the back and shove in plenty of bio media. A good rule of thumb is 10x the water size, 100 gallons x 10 times the filtration = 1000 gallons per hour of filtration. With 8 big fish in 30 gallons, you should have at least 60..and most likely that won't do much.

Please do not use an UGF, many goldie owners have found they just make things worse..take the gravel out slowly, as to not uspet the water and balance.

If you won't get a larger tank, find the fish new homes. Sooner or later they are going to get very sick..most likely sooner.

Brown algae is from too little oxygen, too little sunlight, too high in nitrates ..