Zebra Danio/GloFish Babies

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Just wanted to say "hello" and share this story since I found some useful info here over the past couple of weeks while dealing with an unexpected addition to our tank.....this ended up being longer than I planned, so sorry for the long read.

We had a nice 16G bow tank up and running for some time that had a few of those GloFish in it, and a Pleco we inherited that was thankfully small at the time.

We decided about a month back to upgrade to a 37G tank and move everyone over so that Plucky (the Pleco) would have more room while we made future plans to upgrade to stay ahead of his growth cycle.

In setting up the 37G, I had gotten some Java Fern and Java Moss as something new to try that supposedly Plucky might leave alone. I cycled the tank with 6 Zebra Danio's I had gotten, and the water ended up perfect. We moved everyone over and things were great.

About a week later some of the Java Moss had broken loose and was floating around. Not wanting it to get sucked into the filter intake, I netted it out, and dropped it into the 16G we hadn't shut down yet so that it would stay alive and I could replant it at the next 37G water change.

Fast forward to a week later and my wife notices something in the 16G. Turns out that piece of moss was loaded with eggs, and we now had about 40-50 baby fish in the 16G tank. A little research came up with the fact that GloFish are modified Zebra Danio's, and the GloFish I had must have been males as they mated with the female Zebra's I had used to cycle the 37G.

At this point we've still got most of the babies alive and well in the 16G, watching them grow and feeding them as best we can. They are all mixed colors though a few look to be normal Zebra color, but they are barely 1/2" long at this point so hard to tell.

Looks like I may need a bigger tank even sooner than I planned!

I'm really just thrilled to have the babies though. It's been fun doing research on them and watching them grow little by little. I found some good info here and wanted to share the outcome of my trials so far.

The curved front of the tank makes pictures tough to take, but if I can get some I'll post them.

Great forum you have here, so glad I found it!

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Congrats on the babies. It is very exciting and a nice surprise when you least expect them.
Ive 2 extremely fat female zebras loaded up with eggs I beleive.
Nightmare to try and snap on camera.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I once saw a pic of a zebra/glofish mix. Once grown they had red glow on the top and bottom, but the three distinct zebra danio lines. Here's hoping you get some cool looking cross babies.

NOTE: Because of the stupid copyright on glofish any of the babies that are glo-related are illegal to sell.

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
I once saw a pic of a zebra/glofish mix. Once grown they had red glow on the top and bottom, but the three distinct zebra danio lines. Here's hoping you get some cool looking cross babies.

NOTE: Because of the stupid copyright on glofish any of the babies that are glo-related are illegal to sell.
They are just getting big enough now to get an idea of the colors. Looks like tons of greenish, some red and some that look really blue.

I wouldn't consider selling any of them so not too worried about getting in trouble over it.

Oh and here's a video clip I took with my phone (best I could do) that shows just how many of the little buggers there are. They've grown a bit since I took this about a week ago.

Zebra Danio / GloFish Babies Quicktime Movie

Can't wait until they get bigger to really see the colors/patterns.

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Wow, you have a swarm of them! What are you feeding them?
Started out with some liquid fry fish food and some frozen baby brine shrimp. They seemed to do well on those and now are up to eating very finely crushed flake food and some "First Bites" food Hikari sells that I found locally.

I was mostly playing it by ear, but they're growing and thriving so I must of done something right, or close to it.

I'll try to get a new movie clip this weekend to show how big they've gotten since that last movie.

Feb 27, 2009
A variety is important to them at this young stage. Obviously you are doing something right for so many to survive and be so active. This particular fish is know as an 'easy breeder' in captivity, but not many provide the conditions necessary for the fry to survive and thrive.

I'll be watching for an update!

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
A variety is important to them at this young stage. Obviously you are doing something right for so many to survive and be so active. This particular fish is know as an 'easy breeder' in captivity, but not many provide the conditions necessary for the fry to survive and thrive.

I'll be watching for an update!
It's gotta be mostly luck. :)

The variety was mostly due to worrying about them eating and hoping that out of the 2-3 things I offered they'd enjoy at least 1 of them. I think out of the initial swarm we lost a few, which isn't too surprising I guess, but we've still got plenty left.

Here's a new vid clip of the current batch. The tank isn't in the best of shape since we were gonna be tearing it down anyway, and you can see some deadish Java Moss that didn't end up making it after I moved it over (this was where the eggs apparently were!). I also have some filter floss over the filter intakes so that the little ones wouldn't get sucked in by accident. I gotta put some new floss on this weekend as it's getting pretty gunked up at this point. The water quality tests out great, which is my biggest concern right now. As long as the water is good I won't worry too much about appearances since once they are big enough they'll be in the nice, big and super clean 37G.

Zebra Danio / GloFish Babies Movie 2

Sorry about the shakey cam and low quality. Been looking at a nice Canon camera that shoots 720p video which I may snag. Cellphone doesn't cut it too well, esp for aquatic stuff where it tries to focus on the glass and I can't force it not to.

Oh and this is gonna be their new home eventually......

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey, is that a straight sponge filter in the back, or does it have the carbon and stuff in it?

Also, I used to have that exact wallpaper in my house before we took it down and painted.
It's a sponge filter with a powerhead on top, nothing special, but I wanted to ensure good water flow in the tank, and with that and the output from the canister filter, I've got good water flow and most debris ends up in the canister or trapped on the sponge where it's easy to get.

The wallpaper was here when we moved in. I'm guessing my landlord got it cheap. :)

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Spawning

So this morning I make the preparations to do a water change on the 37G tank, and after cleaning out the filter and siphoning off some water I'm roaming around waiting for the bucket to fill with clean water when something catches my eye.

Apparently when I put the light on this morning I triggered the spawning instinct and the Zebra's that were still "fatties" with eggs and the males started spawning around the Java Moss. I tried to get a video of it but they move so quick it's hard to keep the camera trained on them.

The females were rubbing all over and through the moss and the males were right on their tails the whole way. Was sorta funny to see, though also sorta sad since I won't be able to save all those babies too. I'm hoping a couple might sneak by and survive but I don't expect it, and I've got enough babies in the 16G to move back over once they are bigger, so I don't need more.

Anyway, here's the clip for those who are interested!

Zebra Danio Spawning

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Well tonight I got tired of the Pleco ripping pieces of Java Moss off the driftwood so I took out the biggest clump that was left and put it into a breeding net container in the 16G with the other babies just in case there are eggs in the moss.

I had read that Pleco's supposedly won't bother Java Moss, but it didn't work out for me.

The other babies are growing pretty quickly I think. They sure eat enough!

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
My how they've grown!

I figured I'd put up a new video clip (taken with a new camera) to show how much the little ones have grown since I first posted. I took this just prior to doing the weekly tank cleaning. Some of the foods I've been feeding them they love, but they leave a coating on the glass that I can't stand. I've slowly been working them onto the foods the adults in the other tank get and they're eating well.

It's easy to see the several different sizes from the different batches of eggs that we saved. I'll be moving the biggest ones over this week and the smallest ones in another week or two probably.

So here's the new video!

Zebra/GloFish Babies Grown Up

B33ker

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Massachusetts
Going to move the larger ones over this weekend I think.

It occurred to me last night that I should move them in smaller batches anyway so as not to overload the bio system in the larger tank with a huge influx of fish. The water in there is absolutely pristine at the moment so I don't want to ruin that.

6-8 every few days should work out ok if I'm careful and do water testing as I go.

Next shots will hopefully be the big tank fully loaded with little ones!