Zuccini for pleco's....

Oct 22, 2002
I have few pleco's, oto's and farlowella's in my 55gallon tank and wanted to know how people feed their botton feeders zuccini's. I usually slice them in ronds but I recently heard that by slicing the zuccini vertically with a lot of skin on it would be better. I heard the bottom feeders, especially pleco's like hte skin more than the core ofthe zuccini. If anyone knows about this please post it up.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I don't think it matters how you cut the veggie. Most people do it how it is convient for them. Rounds are usually easier to tie a weight to to sink. If you've a food clip, cut it however it fits in the food clip the easiest to allow the fish the most access to it. I don't know what the fish preferr, but you can experiment by cutting some slices both ways and putting them in the tank at the same time. See which one gets descimated first<G>.

Squash is another veggie I've seen reccommended, as well as sweet potato. Try a variety of suff and see what your plecos and other fish prefer. Variety is the spice of life!
~~Colesea

Oscardude

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
squash?  I'll try that.  like the yellow squash?  

Anyway MY Pleco loves zuccini,cucumbers,and any kind lettuce.  Also I've got a yellow mystery snail thats about as big as a baseball. He really appreciates the veggies too

Oscardude

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
about how to cut them I don't think there is a wrong way but I cut mine in half longways and attach it to a rock with a rubber band.  When my plec was smaller I used a clip with a suction cup.   I forgot to warn you with cucumbers the seeds are left behind but I don't think its a real inconvience.