eBay overflow

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Looks good, jump on it. Doing a DIY one will cost just as much if not more. Minus shipping of course. Not to mention saving of time and fustration. The guy seems to have a good feedback rating.

Unless someone says it's crap i will start looking at those now too. i've been looking into DIY.....if it can be helped..no thanks!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
looks like the same one i have.... i belive i paid the same price except without the pump ..... the only problems i had with it was trying to keep it primed wich ive over come.....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i hooked it up to a powerhead....altough the tube it came with didnt work well because of the bend but the owner at a lfs around here hooked me up with a little piece of hard tubing and its been fine every since prolly a month or so now...i plan on getting a second if i dont drill my 125g...

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Thats the same overflow that I have. I had to modify the bulkhead though,

I made a type of durso stand pipe idea.

Mine has worked great. The only thing I don't like is that it just doesn't pull down the protein that rises to the top very well. I'm flowing about 400-450gph and it's rated at 600gph.

My LFS has some of these...they look ok to me...but I doubt the 600 gph personally, probly have to guess about 400-500 range...the gap going over the tank is pretty narrow...like maybe a half inch... my DIY "weir" has a 3/4" gap and I'm getting every bit of 600 gph and could probly get more...also I dont know about the pump that comes with it, but I use an Aqua-Lifter Pump from here...Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store ...and it works great...just make sure you either clean or replace you tubing about every 6 months to ensure proper priming :cool:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
drill it if you can, Tre..if it deprimes or an "act of god" happens you'll cry :(
125g usually have strong thick glass..drill it on the side
i want to drill it so bad but the only problem is my gf has thrown in half for just about everything ive bought for my tanks and she is very confident in me drilling holes in our $800 tank :eek:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
ok then not you but an experienced driller from a lfs..for like 30 bucks they come, drill it even if there's water in it and they have the $$$ tools.
An overflow isn't appealing and isn't safe...sure it can go well for years but the risks are just too high.
I can't drill mine since it's an old school braceless all tempered glass tank..all sides ! It would explode.
Still, i don't use an overflow..(even tough i built some and tried at first ) ..i prefer my only other option : a drilled sump placed higher than the tank..at least i sleep better :)

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Still, i don't use an overflow..(even tough i built some and tried at first ) ..i prefer my only other option : a drilled sump placed higher than the tank..at least i sleep better :)
i wanted to do the "waterfall" method on my sump but just cant find a really goot cabinet to put it in...

yeah how can u people sleep knowing that your living room is going to flood any minute? saltwater corrodes....

I sleep quite well actually... I have confidence in my DIY skills...and I make sure everything on my tank is working properly at all times...my overflow has never caused a flood and I personally dont think it will, unless of course I dont clean my aqua-lifter or clean or replace the tubing going to the aqua-lifter. I know there are lots of people out there that argue the other side...it'll flood one day...but it has'nt done it in the year that its been on the tank, so 'til it does flood for no apparent reason other than to p*ss me off...I'm using it. :D ...Now, granted this is on my 20 gal tank...I'm not sayin that I would use it on a 75 gal or larger that I had the option to drill...but I would use it on a 55 gal or smaller that has tempered sides

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i had my gf convinced a few months back to drill our tank at a lfs down the street for $30 per hole only problem is she found out they dont gaurentee there work and now shes scared :/ ..... i plan on putting it behind the livingroom wall so i really wanna get it done first but well see how that goes