eBay overflow

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i thought the same way and figured id just wait it out till i got my tank drilled...but im gald i decided to get me overflow box .... never any major problems and the benifits exceed as long as the proper cautions are taken ;) its not a bad way to spend $30

Why isn't it safe? If my electronics are hooked up to a nice big APC UPS for battery backup. What else do I have to worry about?

ok then not you but an experienced driller from a lfs..for like 30 bucks they come, drill it even if there's water in it and they have the $$$ tools.
An overflow isn't appealing and isn't safe...sure it can go well for years but the risks are just too high.
I can't drill mine since it's an old school braceless all tempered glass tank..all sides ! It would explode.
Still, i don't use an overflow..(even tough i built some and tried at first ) ..i prefer my only other option : a drilled sump placed higher than the tank..at least i sleep better :)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
actually a few weeks ago i get a call at work from my gf telling me there was a power outage in the area..i think oh great i get to go home to mop up water but i actually get home to find not a drop and the power was definitly out cause the time on the microwave was reset.....suposivly the power was out for a few hours!!! i guess the hole i drilled in my return actually worked ;) btw ive gotten air in the u tube where it semi lost the suction and it wasnt the end of the world... the water level raised a little higher than normal in the display but no biggie.... the only time ive flooded the sump was before i drilled that hole in the return

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I have gotten some air trapped in the center/upper part that goes over the wall of the tank and it hasn't been any trouble. I suck the air out about every two weeks so far. After I set mine up I too was worried about it staying primed, but I did MANY "power outtage" tests over n over to test it out. No problems. Even if it did lose it's prime the lower sump section would run out of water before the tank overflowed.... I thought ahead when making the last section of the sump. Now the only problem would be the pump running dry and getting toasted............."knock knock knock" on wood.....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
How big of a hole does one drill to the top of the return?
just a screw size hole should do....remeber a little water will always flow through this hole when the pump is on so you dont want it too big

Dadstank said:
Even if it did lose it's prime the lower sump section would run out of water before the tank overflowed
same here... only problem with that though is i find my self topping off alot more ....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
A starting point would be that a 1" bulkhead flows a maximum of 600GPH.
I would have to say a little less than that but that is what the LFS's say.
i dont think he was talking about the hole in the overflow but i belive he ment the hole you drill in the return to stop the reverse syphon ;)