38-gallon Amazon River themed aquarium

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I like the SA idea -- and there's nothing blah about it ;)

Definitely need a pleco, and I encourage you to search beyond BN (although they would be a fine choice, too) and clowns. There are several smaller-sized Panaques (like my L-204) and Peckoltias (like L-134) to choose from -- or maybe even a nice Hypancistrus (like L-129, L-201, and L-260 just to name a couple) ;)

I'm on board with others' support for the angel idea. I like 2-3 of those, a pleco, a pair of dwarf acaras, rams, or apistos, and maybe 5-6 cories. That sounds like a pretty sweet SA tank to me :D

If it were me and I was doing a "first time around" tank, I'd probably go:

3 Angels
6 Rummynose Tetras (but wait for the tank to be completely cycled -- and even then, maybe another month -- before adding these)
2 Bolivian Rams
5-6 Cories (your choice, though maybe 4 if you choose one of the larger species)
1 Pleco (again your choice, but I'd probably go with a bristlenose, an L-204, or an L-134 (if you could find one))

Last edited:

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
that black sand looks awesome, IMO. I think whatever fish you decide on are really gonna "pop" against that background. I've also read that darker substrate is less stressful than white or bright colored substrate.

I think angels would look great in there, and if you got a pair of rams, oh man I feel my case of MTS flaring up...(better go do a water change or something to drive it outta me...hahaha!) I like Jeff's stocking ideas I think those cories would be very entertaining.

Good luck!

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I like Jeffs idea, but I would ditch the cories and up the school of tetras. I think the bigger school of tetras would be impressive, and I think the pleco could handle the janatorial duties by himself, and my cories seem to annoy my plecos.

If you want cories though, I suggest trying to find Panda cories, they can be hard to find, but they seem to cohabitate with my plecs a little better and they are smaller (thinking of the bio load here), you could have a few more because of their size, and they are much more adorible than the other options. LOL

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I'm with Virgo on that. A larger school of smaller tetras would look awesome in contrast with the angelfish. I'd ditch the cories and go with that if it were me. ;)

Orion...lol...
What more can I say?

jalora is sure gonna have a lot of ideas to mull over when he/she finally gets around to checking back on this thread! Lots of good stuff...aside from the kribs + angels thing, lol. :rolleyes:

BV

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well, might as well put my 2 cents in...

I would do 2-3 angels(different colors) and a HUGE school of rummynose tetras. Huge schools look stunning and would keep with the theme. Also maybe an albino bristlenose, that would really pop with the tank colors.

jalora

New Fish
May 4, 2007
Humboldt, CA
Okay, its decided then. My local fish store rarely has a decent selection of Angels for very long, so I've considered buying through the mail. Anyone have experience with liveaquaria.com?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
IMO LA is overpriced, underknowledged, and not worth your time, hear they have decent stock, but you'd have better luck and pricing on aquabid.com or from fellow hobbiests.

jalora

New Fish
May 4, 2007
Humboldt, CA
Okay, a trip to the local fish store has been made. They had no tetras except Neons, so we got the smallest Angels they had (I think they're Koi Angels), figuring they might not see the Neons as prey if they start out small together. If some nipping begins, we'll move out the tetras. We also got a small pleco.