Finally 90 Gallon setup!! (Pics)

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Yes you definitely should skim during the curing process. You buy live rock because it is , well , live, with living things on it, and sticking them through an ammonia bath is going to kill quite a lot of the more desirable things. You have had ammonia at 5 - well frankly , if you had some of the more super desirable hitchhikers like snails, crabs, other crustaceans, small corals, they have probably all been killed.
your live rock comes with a free collection of all the bacteria you will need to remove nitrogen based wastes from your tank water. You do not need to generate an ammonia spike to build these populations up- you do not need to 'cycle' a tank to encourage generation of populations of these bacteria.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
the rock is your cycle.....as stated....you need to skim while curing....
Thanks everyone for the input. I was just a little confused about skimming but have a clear picture of things now.

Just wanted to let everybody know that today is the day I am going to order my lights and wanted to make sure one more time before I spend $600+.

This the lighting I am going to get.

48" 2x250W HQI Metal Halide/ 2x54W T5 Fluorescent (retro)

Customizations:

250W HQI 14,000K Phoenix
250W HQI 14,000K Phoenix

54W 48" UV Aquasun 10,000K
54W 48" UV Super Actinic R

Kit Includes:
• (2)Polished Alluminum HQI paralolic relfectors w/glass shield.(Dimensions 3" x 6" 11")
• (2) ARO Electronic 250W MH Ballasts.
• (2) 48" T5 Parabolic clip on reflectors (42.5" x 2" x 1")
• Advance T5 HO ballast runs 2 lamps (16.75" x 1.25" x 1")
• IP67 Moisture Resistant German End-caps
• End cap Stand-Offs
• 33 ft 18g solid wire
• (2) 6 ft grounded power cord

Electronic ARO Ballast Specifications
* Will fire all 250W metal halide bulbs, regardless if they are "probe start", "pulse start", HQI or Standard mogul in design. No worries with this ballast! (however, this retrofit kit is for 250W HQI (Double Ended bulbs)
* Energy Saving - up to 25% over magnetic ballasts.
* Extended Lamp Life - up to 25%
* Consistent Lamp Color.
* Uniform Lumen Output.
* Reduced Lamp Flicker.
* Cool, Silent Operation.
* Long Ballast Life.
* 3 year warranty
* Dimensions: 8 1/2" x 3 3/4" x 2 1/8" (LxWxH)

Any input!!!

Never mind!! I already ordered the lights!!! can't wait to get them.

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Lookin good Panther, I know this tank will be special :)
BTW - Hows the 20gal doin? The Mandarin? (not meaning to hijack, of course)
Thanks Katie!

The 20 gal is still alive. Sitting just next to the 90 G. The Mandarin is still alive too. Basically the 20 gallon is waiting to be transfered to the 90G. I think by the end of this week the rock will cure.

Pics Below..

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Awesome! Glad to hear the mandarin is doing well. Either I'm blind, or just stupid...but where is that orange coral you had...Christmas Tree or something? I dont see it...Unless it looks different now

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
The mandarin will have more food to eat in that 90........looks great...
Yeah!! I can't wait to transfer everything to the 90 G.

Lighting update!! As most of you already know by now that I had ordered my lights yesterday and will be getting them tomorrow. Wow for the fast shipping.
can't wait!!

" Tracking Detail: Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 05/17/2007. "

As for the LR curing I think by end of the week or by monday it will be ready for transfer. Ammonia is at 0 ppm and the nitrite is going down i think.

The only thing I am worried about is the temperature fluctuation. At present with the 25 watt light i have been able to keep the temp stable at 79.8 F but with the MH I don't think I will be able to control it that well. I am planing on adding an AC to my room which should help with the control and 3 x 6 " clip on fans. 2 on the canopy and 1 in the sump. The canopy already has 2 x 4" fans. I really don't want to spend $500+ on a chiller.

Any suggestions!! How do you guys/ gals keep the temp under control with MH?

Last edited:

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
I keep the surface of the water broken and aggitated. I'm running 150HQI with a single 14k bulb and open top, the water maxes out at 81 degrees with the lights on over the course of 8hrs. At night it falls to 76-77 so I just turned my heater to around 79 and that stablizes temps. A little high but shouldnt have an adverse effect on anything.

I would say run your lights without a heater just to see how hot the water can get and then if its not too hot, turn your heater to a few degrees lower, and wa la. Stablility.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes my 75 fluctuates about 3 degrees between night and day.....that is at the maximum summer heat with central a/c set at about 75. I have a ceiling fan and then if it gets too hot I will add a soda bottle with frozen water in it to the overflow.......cheater chilller........My 20g is harder as it is in a very sunny room so I try to make sure that the window shades are drawn during the day and that the ceiling fan is on high too......it fluctuates a bit more than the other......

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Everybody thanks for the input.

OK now i have a question. The guy who sold me the tank has an inline chiller at 1/5 hp with a temp controller. He is asking $250 for it. I saw it when I was picking up the tank it looks kinda old but he says it is in good working condition. What do you guys think

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Cool stuff panther28.

That's some high tech stuff you have there.

So you bought some LR for $2.19 and $3.00? These were uncured right?

You're planning to transfer the 20 G over the 90 G right? How much? All of it? Or just some here and there?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Katie217 said:
I'd look around a bit first, see if you can get a newer model
Thanks Katie, I will look around for a better one.

Cool stuff panther28.

That's some high tech stuff you have there.

So you bought some LR for $2.19 and $3.00? These were uncured right?

You're planning to transfer the 20 G over the 90 G right? How much? All of it? Or just some here and there?
Thanks TheFighterFish,

At 1st I bought 80 lbs Fiji (pre cured) for $2.19 per lbs from ebay and was thinking it would be enough but was not. So then I bought Indonesian (cured) 40lbs from LFS for $3.00 per lbs.

I am planning on transferring everything from my 20 to the 90 and maybe leave a few lbs in the 20 and use it as a hospital/Quarantine Tank.

and again thanks everybody for comments!!

I will post pics later of the lighting I got. I am at work and thinking only about the lights.