Finally 90 Gallon setup!! (Pics)

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Just came home from work to see it was dark and silent. The temperature was at 77 F. I have it set at 79 F. The power in my room where I have the tanks is gone. Its a good thing I came home on time! I connected everything up with 2 long extension cords for now until I get someone to have a look. It could have been a disaster and I could have lost everything. What I learnt from this is don't ever ever overload a socket!!!:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Update on the power!!

Was really frustrated and did a little checking of my own. The socked right next to the tank was all burnt up! Apparently somehow water got in to it. Anyways I cut all the burnt wires, reconnected everything and have power now. Have sealed that socket permanently so no water will ever get into it. I will reconnect everything back into the room tomorrow.

I took a pic its not clear but you can see what got burnt. All is black I am guessing it is because of a small fire which some how went out.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
wow.......now before you plug anything else in you should have a gfi plug in the outlet. Saltwater and electricity......bad combination. You were very lucky you didnt lose everything.......by that I mean the house etc.......that is bad luck and probably a fluke but better to be safe than sorry. Also, as you noticed a couple of hours without power.......always good to have some sort of backup power in place. I know I haven't yet and and I almost go into a cold sweat everytime we have a wind storm or something. I have heard that a cheap way is to hook up a deep marine cycle battery with an old computer power ups........it will work in a pinch. Of course the primo option would be a generator.......

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Thanks everybody for the concerns but everything is doing good. Have not yet connected everything in the room. Will do it this weekend when I have more time to work on it. Because I am going to distribute the load evenly on 2 circuits. I also have an old car battery will that work? Can I use it ? I am guess not cuz those things are like 12 volts. Can anybody put more insight into this.

... oh, and I hope you have renters' insurance, if you're renting
I am actually the sole owner of house so no problem with that.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes you can use an old 12V car battery with a ups that will provide backup power in the event of a power failure.......usually people will use a deep cycle marine battery as it can take more drains and recharges than the usual car battery.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Yes you can use an old 12V car battery with a ups that will provide backup power in the event of a power failure.......usually people will use a deep cycle marine battery as it can take more drains and recharges than the usual car battery.
Thanks but I still need a ups for that. hmm Well I will have to do more research on this.. Thanks anyways..

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Even if you are the single home owner, it would be prudent to have homeowners insurance...knowing the cost of a home in Fremont, I wouldn't want to be the guy whose house burned down without any way to recoup some money. Of course, hopefully this doesn't happen, but better safe than sorry, right?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I agree with you 1979camaro, Of course I have Homeowners insurance. I Think it is implemented by the law or isn't it. Anyways I am 100% sure I do because a few months back one of my pipes started leaking and flooded one of the rooms. so the insurance company paid for new carpeting and all that. So no worries their. Thanks for the concern.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Came home and checked the clam and looks like that some one has been nipping at the clam?

My stocking list

2 Clown, 1 Mandarin, 1 Sixline, 1 Hippo tang.

Which one do you think has been nipping on the clam. i am guessing the sixline! Any thoughts.

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
OK update on the nipper of the clam. It was 1 of the 3 Nassarius snails. Unbelievable the snail was just sitting and sucking on the mantle of the clam. I moved 2 of them to the 20 gallon tank. could not find the 3rd. I will hunt it down.