125 Gal Sw Setup

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
And what do you mean by it defeats the purpose for running it through my main tank?

The purpose of a QT tank is, so you can monitor the health of new additions (and medicate them as needed), without running the chance of contaminating your main display tank with whatever "bugs" may be hitchhiking along with the new arrivals.

If you use a HOB style filter (or anything else directly connected to the display tank) you risk the health of the main tank, Hence using a totally separate tank for quarantine.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I went for a shallow sand bed. I knew I'd be getting several gobies that would dig, so a DSB didn't make sense.

If you decide to go for a shallow sand bed, go for an inch or less. Don't get anything between an inch and three inches, as it will cause problems. Either get a full DSB, a shallow bed, or go bare bottom. Don't get crushed coral, btw.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You need to read the link I sent you on the dsb's ..... it explains all and easily also.

I have a dsb of 6 inches in my 75g and I have a sand sifting gobie and a sea cucumber that continually stir it so it stays clean and still manages to do it's job of denitrification.