75gallon buildup newbie - PICS

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
Added my first livestock in the tank this weekend.

Got a cleaner shrimp and a mower blenny.

The blenny hides so well, even though he's right in front of me, I have to look carefully.

The shrimp stays at one spot only though, I'm not sure why. I took my water in for testing at the LFS and he said it was good.

I'll put some pictures up later.

Question I have is, how does everyone do their TOP-OFF'S? Do you guys have some bada$$ auto-top off units?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Make sure you are topping off with plain r/o water.....I actually have a perisaltic pump that feeds from a 5g jug of r/o water into my sump so it is pretty much automated. The lawnmower blenny may be an ill advised choice as you don't have enough algae growing in your tank to feed it. Make sure you are supplementing it with dried algae and sinking wafers.....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have a JBJ auto top-off system. It's all automated, with two sensors. I use a 10g tank as the reservoir, which lasts more than a week. I lose about a gallon a day from the tank, and the auto top-off really helps cut down on trying to remember to top up daily.

nycsicktank

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2006
queens
can somone set up a link to these auto top off systems? ive never even heared of this before but then again it might be pointless to have in a small
29g tank?
no you need ATO in a smaller tank more than large tank cause sg swings faster in smaller volume.

making your own ATO is not hard at all. i made mine today in 20 mins. *BOUNCINGS

Melevsreef.com - Automatic Top Off System

good luck!

Last edited:

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
new pics

Right now I have a tomato clown, a cleaner shrimp, an algae blenny who likes to hide now since the clown and a sand sifting star.

I also have a frogspawn.

I am starting to have some purple spots around the glass and noticed a purple buildup on the corner of my tank. It's actually starting to form on the sand as well.

Should I be concerned?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no, but I would be concerned with a sand sifting star. They require a very large footprint to survive which is seldom met in captivity. Even with a 75g that has been established for a long time will not support a sandsifting star long term. He will decimate your sandbed in very short order. I would think of trading it in on some nassarius snails to keep the sand turned over.

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
Hi Everyone,

tank is doing good as of now. Bought a new Blue Tang and an orange anemone.

I've been force feeding the anenome w/ a turkey baster filled w/ brine shrimp. Last night I decided to feed it a piece of raw shrimp. Thought it took it but this morning the piece of shrimp was still there and the Anemone moved like it was scared of it ,YIKES!!!!

I'll put some pictures up soon but wondering if i could just get any kind of RO unit.

Found this one for pretty cheap.

Watts Premier: Browsing Five Stage Reverse Osmosis

and while visiting Sears yesterday, i saw a KENMORE brand RO unit. Anything to look for or should I get a specialized one for REEF's only?

Thanks!

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
I found the watts unit on craigslist for only $50 used w/ extra filters.

Also got home and found that the anemone had basically moved to back of the tank.

The weird thing is that it got out of its sack and I can see a white slimy substance close by it. The anemone itself still has color and it looks like it's guts or innards are covered in sand.

The LFS said to wait a couple of days. Not sure what I should do.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay a few questions, what kind of anemone is it? Orange anemone doesn't do any good???? it is obviously in distress and a picture would help here. Anemones are notoriously difficult and should only be kept in mature tanks.

If that anemone is on it's way out it can pollute your whole tank. What do you mean it got out of it's sack. They don't have a sack? not sure what you mean by this, the white slimy substance is bothersome also.

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
Okay, let me explain it better.

It's an Orange Tube Anemone.

I think the sack i was talking about is probably it's natural secretion plus the Sand because when I picked it off the sand bed, it just disentegrated.

The Anemone itself still looks to be alive. It's tentacles are still flailing around except that now it's found a home in the back of my tank somehow.

I guess from reading some sites, it's natural for the tub anemones to lose that coating from time to time?

Also a thing I did not do when I first got it was bury it in sand. I sucked out the slime w/ a turkey baster and it was actually kind of a grey cloudy slime. Anyone have experience w/ this anemone? I

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay a bit of further information for you......tube anemones are not true anemones.

Ceriantharians (tube anemones) do not go well in small aquaria with many species of numbers of fishes. Their habit of shedding stinging cells appears to be problematical. Dwarf Angels (genus Centropyge) and many other coral reef fishes cannot be kept with them for long. Slow moving species like the tube-mouthed fishes (Seahorses, Pipefishes), Mandarins (Synchiropus), et al. soon become costly food items. Damselfishes and monodactylids (Moonfish, Fingerfish) are cited as good company. Keep in mind that tube anemones are nighttime feeders for the most part. Tube anemones are not symbiotic with Clownfishes! They will gladly eat them and other hapless subjects if presented the opportunity.

Tube anemones are filter feeders; offering them large, meaty foods is contra-indicated; don't do it. Twice weekly feedings of live, frozen or macerated prepared foods circulated about and onto their tentacles while particulate and skimmer filtration is arrested is sufficient. More frequent, smaller feedings are better than the reverse. So NO SHRIMP.

dlee300z

Small Fish
Oct 30, 2007
Just got a new guy last night. Meet BUBBLES.

Meet DORI

NEMO is shy

BLENNY is saying "HI" too.

And a full tank shot.

I just did a water test and everything came in normal except for my nitrates.

It's at 20ppm so should I be concerned about it?
It's usually at 0ppm. What do you guys think?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
That is quite an additional bioload to add all at once..... be ready to do waterchanges and keep an eye on the ammonia as you may initiate another cycle with the added bioload.