Cycling question

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I posted this question in my planted tank journal thread but I thought I would post a thread just for this.

I'm going to be starting my tank tomorrow hopefully and I'm going to be doing a fishless cycle by adding in ammonia. I know I need to use 100% ammonia for the cycle. I have been to 4 or 5 different grocery stores and can't find anything that seems to say 100% and the closest thing that I have found has ammonium hydroxide and surfactant. Will this work or not?

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
You do not want surfactants in the ammonia...just 100% ammonium hydroxide. Try a hardware store if you can't find it at.

I used the Wal-Mart brand and found out later it has surfactants. I think I told you last night that I used it with no ill effects to the tank but I wouldn't doing it knowingly.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
But surfactants are bad for sure then right? I have an ACE Hardware just around the corner so if what I got is wrong I will go there before I set things up tomorrow.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I did find some ammonia at ACE hardware, but I haven't bought it yet. The front of it said 10% ammonia janitorial strength. It didn't have any other lists of other chemicals in it. I gave the bottle a hard shake and it didn't show any bubbles, but I didn't see a phone number or a list of what the other 90% was in the bottle. Does this sound like it will work or not?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Alright will do. I went back down a little bit ago and it seems like they closed early so I will have to pick it up tomorrow. I'm just glad I found something that would work so I wouldn't have to do a fish-in cycle. I want to let the tank cycle correctly.
During the cycle how often should I test my water?