First Tank Purchase

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Hello all,

I am about to embark on setting up my first aquarium. I was in Petco the other day, and they had alot of "Premium Aquarium Kits" by the company All-Glass Aquarium. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with buying an aquarium kit from this company, or if I should avoid them and purchase everything separate. Thanks!

I apologize in advance if buying an aquarium kit as opposed to buying everything separate was covered in one of the stickies for newbies...I didn't see it in there...

MalcolmV8

Large Fish
May 31, 2003
Visit site
You'll find All-Glass is extremely popular and all over the place. As mentioned above the items inside are usually not top of the line but then what starter kits are?
Personally I think they are fine for a beginner and as you go on you may find you want to upgrade the heater, filter, lighting etc. depending on what you do.

Overall they are usually a good deal to get started.

Malcolm

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, I've not had a starter kit..but I've sure looked at them. Yes, the equipment that comes with is more like bottom shelf stuff...BUT! for just getting started you will be just fine. If you really get into it...I promise you start buying whisper air pumps, bio-wheel filters, and some heater I cant think of the name right now.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Well, I've not had a starter kit..but I've sure looked at them. Yes, the equipment that comes with is more like bottom shelf stuff...BUT! for just getting started you will be just fine. If you really get into it...I promise you start buying whisper air pumps, bio-wheel filters, and some heater I cant think of the name right now.
Stealth heater ;)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The kits are fine for a basic set up, make sure you buy one with a heater, I've seen some that don't have one included. Also carefully research what size tank you want to keep based on what fish you are interested in.

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
I agree with miss fishy starter kits are decent filter is ok in my opinion in the smaller ones might upgrade the filters and heaters if you go over their 29g ones......my first tank was one of those kits It rocks but i dont like the filter so with my new tanks I went with the bio whell I think they cycle faster and give a better water turnaround

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
The filter that comes with the kit is a "Whisper 30 Power Filter." Anyone have any experience with those types of filters? I'm guessing its just a typical carbon filtration system. It also does come with a 100 Watt heater.

Out of curiosity, what are everyone's thoughts on under gravel filters? I feel like I've come across a variety of opinions on them, both positive and negative.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I haven't had any experience with under gravel filters, but most all of what I have heard has been negative. I would say that the filter and heater that come with the tank would be good enough to get you started. If you really get into it the hobby you will probably upgrade the filter and the heater. This should get you a great start though.

Once you get the tank come here to ask any questions that you have. You will learn a ton of stuff just by having others here with experience helping walk you through getting your tank up and running properly. Also check out the stickies at the top of the forums for lots of good information as well.

:D Ohh and welcome to the tank :D

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
My first tank was one of those kits! As we upgrade we put the second rate bits aside for the hospital tank and other tanks.

I just read the smaller tanks are not better artical on this Forum. If you're looking for your first one you'll want to give it a read too. Small tanks are finiky and you have to be willing to give them a lot of attention to make them work. (if you're a tinkerer like me though that doesn't mind checking water parameters constently and cleaning it all the time then hey maybe not).

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
My first one will definitely be a 29 or a 20 gallon. I feel like a 29 gallon would give me more flexibility because of the increased volume, but I may be moving 6 months from now and not sure if I'd want to move something that much additional weight.

Is 1 lb of substrate per gallon of tank typically a good starting point? That's what I've read online but I feel like thats a bit much...

As for fish, I'm looking at a few different types of cat fish. I bought this freshwater aquarium book that gave me a good amount of stocking options. I'd really like to get some ghost shrimp and African Dwarf Frogs, but I feel like there'd be a lot of tension on the bottom of my aquarium if I do that.

Thanks everyone for dealing with my ignorance and for your responses. This is definitely one of the nicer message boards that I've come across, everyone here seems kind and enthusiastic.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I would go with the 29g if you can. It will give you much more tank to work with.

1 pound of gravel per gallon is correct and should give you a good base in the tank. It will spread out much more then you would think.

The ghost shrimp would more then likely kill the african dwarf frogs and maybe even attack some of the other fish. You will probably have to choose one or the other. Your other option is to post exactly what you would want to keep in here and others can give you suggestions on what may work best for your tank.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Yes, I suggest going with the 29 also. I love 29's, I have 3. The added 9 gallons give you so many more options. What kind of cat's are you looking at? The frogs and the shrimp can both be mean. I would suggest a semi-aggressive tank if you want either of those.

I agree with alter...post what you want to keep and we will be happy to give you advice.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I upgraded from a 20 long to a 29 because while I love the shape of long, low tanks, it gave me limited options for planting because I like high plants in the background and lower plants in the foreground. The 20L was too low and I couldn't get plants high in the back and low in the front because being low would have been ground cover.

Ghost shrimps won't bother anything, African Dwarf Frogs included... nothing but fish eggs would be on a ghost shrimps menu. Trust me, they're about the most passive and easy going creatures you can get for a freshwater tank.

I think 1 lb per gallon is a bit low. I have 60 lbs in my 29 gallon tank and 12 lbs in my 5.5 gallon tank. Typically you want a bed of about 2 inches deep. 1lb per gallon will get you a 1" bed which isn't sufficient for plants or really rooting any sort of decorations.

I'd like to also mention that people should not give uninformed advice about animals... bad information travels quickly. (ghost shrimp)

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Depends what you use though. I use planting stones for my plants (which makes them easier to move if nessesary and provides some nice nooks and crannies for the fish to get into) so I only keep a 1" layer across the bottom.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I have approx 3 inches of substrate in my 210. And for a couple of the larger plants, I am probably an inch deeper.

My 75 only has about 80 lbs of gravel in it though. Not planted heavily, but the gravel does hold the plants/roots fine.

And as far as the ghost shrimp, they won't cause any harm. My old african frog tried to eat them.