New member, new tank

Jan 23, 2008
Hello all. I recently purchased a new fish tank for my girlfriend, although I'm the one who will probably be taking care of it. ;)

Anyways, I purchased this tank Aquatic Edge Bookshelf Aquarium Tank Kit 6.6 Gal not from them, but from a local store.

I went home and rinsed everything thoroughly (plastic plants, gravel and a rock with a hole in it) and put it all in the tank. I hooked up the filter and filled the tank with water and added water conditioner per the bottles instructions. The filter is now running.

I would like to pick up some bio-spira so that we can get some fish in the tank maybe this weekend. Is there anything else that I need to do in order to get this tank ready for some fish?

Your help is greatly appreciated and look forward to posting pictures once I get the whole thing up and going with fish. *BOUNCINGS

Edit: I will take a picture tonight when I get home so you can see how it looks.

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
bio-spira works only if its refrigerated so make sure its sold in a fridge also buy an amonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit you dont wanna fry your poor fishies and even with bio spira I recomend only adding a small amount of fish at first since with the bio-spira you can run the risk of it not working. check miss_fishys post on cycling. good luck and welcome to MFT.com

edit: I noticed it didnt have a aquarium heater in the kit or did I miss it? I recomend picking one up fish need a constant temp some fish need their water as high as the 80's. when you pick up your fish a reputable fish dealer will generally give you a care sheet for the fish that will include habitat,food,water paramiters and such.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2008
No, it did not come with a heater. I was hoping to get some fish that didn't require heated water. But I will check with the fish store and see what they suggest.

On a side note: you're the 2nd person on a forum today that I've ran into from Watertown, NY. I grew up there and then moved to Pillar Point and now I've been in Florida for 8 years. Small world.

Anyway, thanks.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You can pick up a small heater, a 25W Elite from Hagens for about $10-15. Cheap cheap and it'll mean you can keep a much wider range of fish in your tank.

Cooler water fish like gold fish need MUCH bigger tanks then what you have (though the fish store will tell you differant) and little tanks have bigger temperture variations then larger ones so actually need the heater more.

Also you'll want to get a PH test kit too. What you can do that will help is when you go to buy fish take a sample of your tank water as it stands empty with you and ask them to test it for you, MOST fish sellers do this for free.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I think about the only fish you can get for a tank with no heater is goldfish and white cloud minnows. And like previous poster said, your tank is too small to house goldfish (1 goldfish per 10G of water). The heater will be worth the money cuz you'll be able to pick from so many different types of fish. And for tank your size you won't need a big one at all. Let us know what you decide on!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
With a long thin tank like that you could get some tetras (the black skirts are particularly hardy I've found as mine survived all my beginners mistakes but not nearly as nice to look at), they're schooling fish so you'll need at very least three of the same species. Neons are popular too as a starter fish for small tanks. A warning on tetras, the ones who are named after fruit or candy (except the lemon ones) are usually injected with color and that's not good for the fish I'm told (my daughter was heartbroken when I told her she couldn't have the bubblegum tetras!).

Enders Liverbearers and Guppies would both work too and are wonderfully colorful but becareful not to mix male and females cause I'm told they can multiply like mad if you're not carefully. (Others can tell you more about these suckers I've never kept them personally though I'm thinking about them for my smaller tank).

You could have a single betta too (especially given your tank is long and narrow it would have lots of room to show off) but no other fish with brightly colored flowy fins (no guppies or enders) and no fin biters. Bettas and Cories in particular get along really well.

In a 6G you don't have a lot of choices for bottom feeders. DO NOT let the people at the petstore tell you you have room for a pleco. It looks small now but the suckers grow to 1 foot long! Full sized Cories also are small but they like to be in groups (as I've recently learned) and you're tank's pretty small (though being long would have more bottom room then most 6Gs). Pygmy cories are tiny and in a tank that size you could have a little grouping of them (they're sooo adorable), but they're harder to find.

Note: You definitly couldn't have all these fish at once. In a 6G you're looking at about 6 small fish, 5 if you go with the Betta. You'll definitly want to speak to the people at the fish store (and having had a ton of bad experiences with the Pet Store I go to a fish only place now: Big Al's usually) and let them know you're new to fish keeping and have a new uncycled tank.

While I'm sure this is all stretching your budget (fish keeping is expensive to start but really it's not bad once you're set up), the above test kits are really important. Aquarium Pharmasudicals and Nutrafin both sell freash water master test kits and this is by far the most cost effective way to go. You'll aslo need some sort of water conditioner and/or decholinizer, you can probably go with a smaller bottle now and get a larger one later. I also usually suggest a small bottle of Melafix which is basically fish medicine. I find it helps with stress introducing new fish to tanks too but it's definitly not nessesary (I didn't use it when I first started and all my fish were fine).

All these fish need a heater too. A cheap one can be had for a tank that size for under $15 and it's totally worth it.

All told you're looking at about $30.00 for the test kit, $15.00 for a heater, $10.00 for water conditioner/decholinizer $3.00 for food (buy small it lasts forever) and $10.00 for fish. It's not as bad as it sounds all this stuff will last you a long while. (My SO is always joking that the fish are the least valuable thing in the tank.)

Lastly you'd most definitly want to be slow about putting fish in the tank. We all wanna rush out and dump fish in our tanks... and we've all learned the hard way that you need to be patient!

I hope all this helps!

Edit: NOTE: Others will probably have a lot of information for you too. Be sure to read all the stickies on this thread there's TONS of valuable information there.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks for all the info!

As I stated above, I'd provide pics. Here's one I just took tonight. Let me know what you think.

I think I want to get a small cave for the front right corner.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i think it looks good.. but i agree that you should pick up an inexpensive heater. that would open up a vast selection of fish that you could put in it.

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah especially if you do end up with a cory or something nocturnal a little shelter is a good idea.

You know you can even buy the small size ceramic pots for gardening as long as they're not painted or dyed and they make wonderful little 'caves' for small fish. you can also buy small peices of driftwood and aquarium stones and make your own. My local fish shop (LFS) sells little stones like your one with the whole in it. With stones you need to make sure to boil them to keep all the dust off of them and with driftwood it's best to get it at the local pet store so you know it's properly cured and not contaminated.

Of course your pet store has a plethora of other options too, castles and shipwrecks and the like. I usually recommend if you're going to mix sizes of fish that you make sure there's two entrances to anything so your little fish can get out if your big fish comes to pester them (My Betta's always kicking my cories out of theirs!)

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I'm going to have to disagree with the idea of buying an inexpensive heater. I think a heater is one of the few areas on fish tanks where you get what you pay for and that it is worth it to get a good one. "Pay a little more now, or a lot more later" as the Fram commercials used to say.

Buying a cheap heater is a good way to get frustrated with setting temperature (most are just a turn the knob, wait to see what it gets to, turn more or less until it seems right), have it fail when you need it (the cheap ones never last long and rarely have any warranty), electrocute your fish when something fails internally (more common than you might think), or otherwise end up buying another heater in a short period of time.

Spend the 20-30 bucks and just get a Stealth heater. Lifetime warranty, no glass to shatter, and they seem to hold up fine (many members on this forum use them without problems).

Tank looks nice.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Sorta off topic but cchase, what do you use to heat you 2G if anything?
I had a 25W laying around so I am using that in my 2g. Works fine. The only risk you run with running a big heater in a small tank is its ability to heat the water too quickly, so as long as you don't mess around with the temperature it should be fine.

The temperature in mine only deviates a degree or two even on very cold days.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I had a 25W laying around so I am using that in my 2g. Works fine. The only risk you run with running a big heater in a small tank is its ability to heat the water too quickly, so as long as you don't mess around with the temperature it should be fine.
Hmmm .... now you've got me thinking.

I'm planning on dropping by the LFS today to pick up a new API test kit (I'm almost out of those dumb strips they sold me - hizzah!), some coppersafe :)() and maybe the new 29G that I want. I think I may also pick up a second 25W heater.

I recently purchased a 25W Stealth for the 2.5 QT tank I just bought. When James Todd Smith gets out of QT, I'll just put the two 25W Stealth heaters in my 10G and save the cheap-o one for emergencies! :)