Help! Tank for 5 yr old

Feb 12, 2008
d3sc3n7---does that mean I can hold you guys accountable for the inevitable failure? *BOUNCINGS

I settled on fish because I thought they would be much easier than a dog or cat, and the funerals would be easier for him to take LOL

I'm such a bad mother. :eek:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Lisa,

Considering you're taking the time to research this stuff BEFORE you purchase a tank you're off to a far better start then most of us were.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Do not get IMO:

Chinese algae eaters (they are agressive towards my swordtails and tetras and do not actually eat algae)
Umm. That's all I can say.
Excellent point!!! I also heartily advise against these guys. I've never had one, but they just seem nasty. The last time I was at the local Petco they had a couple in a tank full of gourami. One of the Chinese algae eaters kept chasing gourami after gourami, pestering them in turn. Fortunately, the gourami were too fast for him. Unfortunately, they had to put up with the harrassment all day.

Make sure that whatever you get, it won't grow too large for the tank you select.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I once bought 2 of the little guys, not knowing about them. Even though it wasnt thier fault, I still will never buy them again. They had ICH, and I didnt know it...they gave me tank a infestation I could not get under control. I lost the entire tank! (Tab - This was before I came upon Coppersafe)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You're off to a good start lisa, but one word of caution... Do NOT let any fish store employees give you advice or tell you "what you need to buy." They often have no idea what they're talking about and will sell you stuff you really don't need just for the profits/commission. I suggest you continue getting any and all advice online or in a forum like this one. And please take the time to read through the nitrogen cycle information on my website (linked below), it will save you a lot of stress and fish funerals! The cycling process is a pain in the butt, but you only have to do it once and it will save you money in the long run on dead fish and heartache!

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I agree VERY VERY much with MissFishy on this one! Although the cycle process is very important in every tank. It is even more so, if this is your childs tank. A dead fish in a tank is a heartbreaker to any of us, but to a 5yr old...it will be pure murder.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Buy the test strips! Then you can make it fun for him he can be a big boy and test the water for you.

This is how I managed to get my daughter to wait the 3 weeks it took to cycle her frog tank. (fortunitely I had enough used media around it only took 3 weeks)

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If at all possible, I would get some test strips for the kid, and a better kit for yourself. The strips are ok, but can really be way off. A kit like the API Master Kit

Oh that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The Hagens Nutrafin kit's pretty good too, that's what I use but the API is the most bang for your buck by far.