Help, What to Get ?¿

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
Isnt a flowerhorn a saltwater fish because if it is i would think his way under experience for that

if i was him i would get one small pleco and an oscar with no plants in the tank since ur going to get a larger tank, a plecos would be great and their easy to take care of

Last edited by a moderator:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
if i was him i would get one small pleco and an oscar with no plants in the tank since ur going to get a larger tank, a plecos would be great and their easy to take care of
uumm. Plecos aren't necessarily easy to take care of... they're pretty sensitive to water parameters... I think the Pleco needs plants too.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
The flowerhorn is a fresh water fish. I'm to new to this game to try saltwater myself and I wouldn't recomend it either. The flowerhorn like a Oscar I was told can handle some of the worst water conditions (not that i would recomend testing that theory) hahaha.

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
k well i got my tank its a 60G tank now i need fish iam thinking of this flowerhorn know it sounds pretty cool, but where could i get one ? they sound and look pretty exclusive like

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You can't get a fish yet, you need to cycle your tank before the water is safe to add the fish. Otherwise the fish will die very quickly. Please take the time to click on the link in my signature below and read up on cycling a tank so you know what we're talking about.

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
isnt cycling water like putting in water then testing the water to make shure its balance etc and if its not add the proper stuff to make it balance ?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok Jordan read here before adding any fish, please. As an experienced tiger barb owner, I'm going to suggest, very highly that you get some. They stay at about 3in, so you could do 20-25 in the 70 gallon tank. Thats only if thats the only type of fish you want. Watch this video of my barbs feeding on bloodworms.

Dont get black skirts and barbs in the same tank...or the skirts wont have skirts. The tiger barbs will nip them off.

Ok, my final suggestion.

70G Tank:
20 Tiger Barbs
1 Dwarf Gourami (I say flame or neon blue)

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
allright i read the fishless cycles thing, seems pretty basic in a way ,ill get on that tonight. but iam still not shure on what to put in the tank, i like the flowerhorn fish but i duno were to get one around here, so i duno

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
i went to my local pet store today and asked if the had a flowerhorn and they had no idea what it was, infact i called like 5 pet stores but some people we saying that they think what i ment i forget the exact name but it was like red devil or somthing but i uno what that is ? is there another name for flowerhorn?

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Ah hah! Google is indeed your friend. There is no Latin name for a flowerhorn, for it has none. It is a hybrid cichlid (and, thus, probably looked down upon by most die-hard cichlid fans -- paging SK ;)). There is a Wikipedia entry for flowerhorn.

Google it. There are plenty of resources out there, such as the Flower Horn Fish Resource Center.

I must admit, though, that I'm not sure it's a fish I'd want.

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
I have been lurking around at the forum for awhile now and ended up joining. There are some wonderful colorful cichlids that would be great in a larger tank, you might consider one of them. I know I have 2 local fish stores that will order almost any fish I could want.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I have been lurking around at the forum for awhile now and ended up joining. There are some wonderful colorful cichlids that would be great in a larger tank, you might consider one of them. I know I have 2 local fish stores that will order almost any fish I could want.
Welcome to the Tank! I spent a while lurking before joining. After a while it was hard not to join. ;)

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
Like iapetus said it has no other name than flowerhorn. Yes as I had said its a hybrid fish. Yes it is also looked down apon by the serious die hard cichlid fans. They don't like any hybrid. I believe I read some where that its a cross between the red devil and a jack dempsey. Not sure about the jack dempsey. True its not the fish for everyone but if you want a aggressive fish that gets some serioius size to it (last i knew it got to 12") and is , in my opinion a beautiful fish, then it might be the fish for you. I'm not seriously recommending this fish because I know what its like but I was just throwing it out to you as another option. This fish is so aggressive it even attacked a 12+" albino catfish and thats why it went down the road again from the guy that got it from me. He found out the hard way that this fish doen't make friends in the tank. Good luck to you with what ever choice you make for your tank.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
Cool thanks for the reading iapetus. I checked out the link you posted and I learned that they do have a different name, Luohan, which I was unaware that they had. Quite a controversial fish huh. Thanks again.

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
well i have decided on a fish well i think , i was thinking of just gettin a Oscar and possibly a fresh water moray eel ? would that be a allright combo ? and what should i have in the tank for them ? and you know thoes bubble walls people have in tanks it adds like oxygen i belive coudl i put one of thoes in?

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
i'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a freshwater moray eel. they are actually a brackish water fish, and fairly hard to keep. why not just the oscar if you are going with a big enough tank (you said 70g right?) and maybe a pleco. all you would need is some gravel and a big piece of driftwood.