Plans for community tank, need advice ;)

Allie

New Fish
Aug 25, 2008
NM
I am new to the aquarium hobby, and I have been planning what fish I am eventually going to get in a 20 gallon tank. The community will be tropical, and I have been doing quite a bit of research on all the species, as well as talking to many pet store associates, but continue to find contradictions to everything I've read and heard:confused:. My hope is that I can get some opinions from others more experienced than I with these kinds of fish. Here is my tentative list of what I'd eventually like to have:

3+ Zebra Danios
1 Leopard Danio
3-4 Fancy Guppies
3+ Neon/Black Neon Tetras
1 Bottom feeder
2 Mollys
1 Swordtail
1 Platy
1 Female Betta

Any advice on temperaments, temperature, water turbulence preferences, ph and water hardness, or general advice to a newbie is extremely welcome!

Welcome!! :D

A good guideline when stocking a tank is to go with the "one inch of fish per one gallon of water rule of thumb."

My 20g community tank used to have the following:

3 Swordtails
2 Peppered cories
2 Otos
4 Black neon tetras
2 Ghost shrimp

So I think your list went over the stocking limit.

As for the fish:
-Not sure about danios, never had them before.
-Guppies reproduce really fast, so if you get them, make sure you have males only.
-Make sure you really want tetras. There's lots of different kinds, but I got VERY bored with my black neons...
-A good bottomfeeder would be some kind of cory. But they like to live in groups so you should get at least three.
-I hear mollies get really large.
-Swordtails are really active and also reproduce, but the offspring usually get eaten.
-Not sure about platies, but I think they are similar to swords.
-Bettas are cool. The males tend to be more aggressive than the females, but it really depends on the fish. Just remember: they don't like current quite as much as other fish, so you need a place for them to lay around. And they don't eat flake food. They need their own food; I use betta bites.

You'll probably also want to get a testing kit. I have the API Master Test Kit which I got from Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Supplies at AquariumGuys.com fairly cheap. (They also have a discount for us members so be sure to get the code for that!)

Anyway, I think I'll end my wall of text now. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions as you get setup. Don't forget to cycle!!! :D

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Welcome to the tank... Kissy ended her wall of text so I will begin mine :)

Mollies can grow up to 4- 5 in. even though mine only got about 3, guppies/Mollies/platies/ swords are all livebearers becareful getting any females because they can have alot of babies over a 3 month period.

I would say try to follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. You can go alittle over but for a beginner my advice is try to stay under. That means you take the adult size of the fish you want to keep and once you hit the 20 inch mark you are fully stocked. for example 2 Mollies we will go 3in each times 2 equals 6 so you have 14 to go.

As for bottom feeders check out planetcatfish.com to get some ideas if you dont want to go with cories.

My advice ditch the danios, mollies, and betta.. platies and swords are basically the same thing, according to an article I was reading in a fish mag a couple months ago 99% of the platies on the market are actually a cross between swords and platies.

Mollies can be aggressive even though they are a community fish. The LFS will probably tell you to use aquarium salt, you dont need to so dont waste your money. I would recommend the test kit Kissy linked you to.

Good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Actually, the first piece of advice I would give is to narrow down the scope of your questions. They're pretty open-ended, so it's hard to give you specific advice. (I hope that doesn't come across as harsh; it's meant to help you get the most out of the Tank! :))

The first thing that strikes me about your stocking list is the variety. For a 20G tank, you've got a lot, maybe too much. I say this particularly because you've got a few types of schooling fish. I would say go with either tetras or danios, but not both (most, but not all, types of tetras and danios school); and, because of their schooling nature, go with at least 6, not just 3 or 4.

Research the adult sizes of the fish you pick. For example, you don't want to take home a common pleco as your bottomfeeder, as they reach 12+ inches, which is way too big for your tank.

Make sure you cycle the tank first. Most of us recommend a fishless cycle.

IMO, swordtails get bigger than mollies.

Ditto on the API test kit.

It's not a surprise that you'll get conflicting advice; that's why research beforehand is key.

Finally, welcome to the Tank, Allie! :D

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Actually a pleco is going to take a while to reach 12 inches. I've had mine for 2 years now and he's only about. Three and a half to 4 inches long so far. Gives you some time in case you want to upgrade your tank in a couple of years.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
-Make sure you really want tetras. There's lots of different kinds, but I got VERY bored with my black neons...
In a larger groups and when they get bigger the black neons are mare active and stay towards the top middle of the tank. When small and with only a few, they tend to stay closer to the bottom and closer to cover.

Maybe in your new 55, you might want to give a school of 6-8 a try, they are fun to watch when they play in the water current and they get 2 - 2.5 inches so they are a medium sized tetra. Drop a little bit of frozen daphinia in the water with them and they frenzy, kinda reminds you that there is a little bit of pirannah in every tetra.

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
I have had standard plecos go from 3" to 10" in a matter of a few months. My brother in law kept one for a year or two with no size change, he gave it to me and the thing grew 10" in a couple months. I don't feed my plecos very often either, once a week. They can grow a bit quicker than one would think.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I agree with the people above, you will probably end up over-stocking with the current list. Also looking at your list, most of them need to be in a shoal of 6 or more, especially the danios and tetras, platys and swordtails should also not be kept solitary though together they should be fine as a pair. In regards to what Brian said about mollie's and salt, I always used to find it helped their immunity to itch and fungus. They also tend to get quite large and the males are quite aggressive to each other. Just like guppies, they are aquatic rabbits and will breed to their hearts' content!

By my experience I'd say keep the guppies to males only, they're not agressive to each other and a good mix of colours is beautiful. Lose the mollies, and possibly even the platy and swordtail (they're cute but also breed like mad), bump up your tetra shoal to at least 6, get a male betta because they have much more personality and are far more beautiful and interesting than the females (plus absolutely docile with other fish that don't look like a male betta!) but there's no reason why you can't keep a male and a female together. Your bottom feeder should be a cory or 2, nothing larger, it doesn't matter what variety they're all mega cute and interesting to watch. Danios are cute and active and highly entertaining, not as colourful as neon tetras but I'd say keep one or the other for your shoaling fish just to keep within the parameters.

But as everyone else has said, stick to 1 inch per gallon. My ideas above are still probably just above the limit but by my experience it's a good mix of fish. Hope I haven't been too confusing, I have a habit of rambling! :)

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
These guys are always right. Except my molly is probably twice the size of of my swordtails. Her nick name is fatty fatty white shoes. lol.

I have only been doing this for about 6 months and my biggest down fall has been buying really fun/neat fish. So much so, that I now have three larger tanks. So listen to these guys. They enjoy fish and know what fish look good together and how to maximize your enjoyment for your tank size. Unless you can get more tanks!!!!:)

get a male betta because they have much more personality and are far more beautiful and interesting than the females (plus absolutely docile with other fish that don't look like a male betta!) but there's no reason why you can't keep a male and a female together. Your bottom feeder should be a cory or 2, nothing larger, it doesn't matter what variety they're all mega cute and interesting to watch.
Bettas: I would recommend not keeping males and females together. I did. But it was risky because they can tear each other to shreds if they don't like each other. So I would NOT put two bettas in there. And females IMO are just as cool as males, except for the fact that they have shorter fins, but I actually prefer them to males. Males seem to be "over-used." Too many people have them.

Cories: No way, I'd get at least 4. Yes, I know, I only had two in there, but once again, it depends on the fish. If they are solitary, then they are lonely! I had two at the beginning and one of them died. Then the other one stopped eating so I got another one. Now they are both happily swimming around together and even bred (which is why I have the babies now.) So, cories need to be in groups, never alone or just two.

Good luck! :D

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Cories: No way, I'd get at least 4. Yes, I know, I only had two in there, but once again, it depends on the fish. If they are solitary, then they are lonely! I had two at the beginning and one of them died. Then the other one stopped eating so I got another one. Now they are both happily swimming around together and even bred (which is why I have the babies now.) So, cories need to be in groups, never alone or just two.
But, Kissy, this is a 20G tank! Don't you think having four cories in a tank this size is pushing it? Three, maybe. But, I think four are too many for this particular tank.

Allie

New Fish
Aug 25, 2008
NM
After some thought and time spent on Craigslist, I think I am actually going to with a 30g. The size makes me nervous, but I've heard bigger tanks are better for beginners anyway. I appreciate the advice about the fish compatibilities, the combo is really just based on the ones I liked down at the pet store, out of what they had to offer. I would hate to see the mollies go, or the swordtails or platys for that matter, is it really going to be an issue having them all together?

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
After some thought and time spent on Craigslist, I think I am actually going to with a 30g. The size makes me nervous, but I've heard bigger tanks are better for beginners anyway.
Good call! *thumbsup2 I don't think you'll regret it.

I appreciate the advice about the fish compatibilities, the combo is really just based on the ones I liked down at the pet store, out of what they had to offer. I would hate to see the mollies go, or the swordtails or platys for that matter, is it really going to be an issue having them all together?
What you like is very important. And, of course, they don't all have to go. But, you should think about how you would include them all in your tank. If you're going to mix sexes, you need to have a good ratio: at least two females to one male (if not 3:1). Because the mollies and swordtails can get kinda big, you won't get very far before you run out of room to house a good ratio of each.

Or, you can get the same sex. If you choose this, I'd go with all males. You could pick all females, but, if you do that, you're likely to come home from the store with some fish that are already pregnant.

And, finally, swordtails and mollies and platies all will interbreed. So, mixing sexes of just one type and getting all males of the other two may be problematic; they'll all see the female of whatever species as a potential mate and may fight over her.

Long story short: if you want mollies, platies and swordtails all in a 30G tank, go with all males! ;)

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
I can't add anything else to what everyone has already said... Other than really driving it home that guppies and all their ilk are underwater bunnies.

My last guppy tried to mate with my figure eight puffer fish while he was in the fresh water tank. (had to aclimate him to brackish, it all went to heck after that.)

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
By my experience I'd say keep the guppies to males only, they're not agressive to each other and a good mix of colours is beautiful. get a male betta because they have much more personality and are far more beautiful and interesting than the females
No...I wouldn't put a male betta with male guppies...he will most likely go after and possibly kill them...too close with the long fancy tails...

but there's no reason why you can't keep a male and a female together.
Again, I wouldn't do this either...have you ever seen a male betta try to mate a female? It's not pretty! Not to mention that they'll need to like eachother and 20G isn't much room for them to get away from eachother...