So here's what I am thinking....

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
just put your foot down on the wife and buy w/e size tank you want. My GF tells me i'm leaving my fish behind when we move in together but I said f*** you woman, I drive, I drive you, and I assist you with everything, no way in hell you're telling me I can't keep my fish. Esp when I just got a NEW TANK

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Loach.. I like how you think....

Jolo...dont plan on staying married for long. All you married guys who arent divoirced know what I am talking about.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
a few years ago the wine people stopped pushing that red and white rule.

Now they try to match tastes and since there are so many types of wines (and pallets on people) that red wine with a whitre meat or fish dinner is considered acceptable - when done correctly of course.

Maybe emman is under the age of drinking.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Maybe emman is under the age of drinking.
Haha, no. I'm at the right age.

Ok, I'll bite, so to speak. Why can't you drink wine?
I'm not sure if I'm allergic to it. When I drink it... it makes me ridiculously sick. Kinda like skipping the drunk and going straight to the hang-over... but worse... and the smell of wine is enough to make me very sick.

I haven't drank any wine since I was in Italy. Ive been to several parties where friends are drinking wine... and I can always tell who'se been drinking wine, or if anyone has a glass of wine around b/c i start feeling sick.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Haha, no. I'm at the right age.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to it. When I drink it... it makes me ridiculously sick. Kinda like skipping the drunk and going straight to the hang-over... but worse... and the smell of wine is enough to make me very sick.

I haven't drank any wine since I was in Italy. Ive been to several parties where friends are drinking wine... and I can always tell who'se been drinking wine, or if anyone has a glass of wine around b/c i start feeling sick.

They did some research (not sure who they is) but some people are genetically made to handle alchohol better than others.

I am of the better without alchohol type of humans. But I am a liuttle bit american indian and they are a large group of people who physically and genetically do not handle alchohol well. True stuff people.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
They did some research (not sure who they is) but some people are genetically made to handle alchohol better than others.

I am of the better without alchohol type of humans. But I am a liuttle bit american indian and they are a large group of people who physically and genetically do not handle alchohol well. True stuff people.
Yeah. I've read about that. Wine is the only thing that affects me though.
I can drink all the other stuff without a problem (well, only one problem, one that I don't want to condone in a public forum). :rolleyes:

I'm quite a bit of american indian (not US) too.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Test kit; one of the MOST IMPORTANT and educational items you can get. I'll bet if you tested your water you'd be scared. I know I was. I had 6 Bluegill in a 20, Nitrites were at 7 ppm. I can't believe none of them died. They were swimming in sewage...

I made a mistake getting a 40 gallon tank because I'm now getting a 100. Get the biggest one you can afford, and go double on the rating of the filter. I will be using two AQ 110 HOB filters and consider that just adequate.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Test kit; one of the MOST IMPORTANT and educational items you can get. I'll bet if you tested your water you'd be scared. I know I was. I had 6 Bluegill in a 20, Nitrites were at 7 ppm. I can't believe none of them died. They were swimming in sewage...

I made a mistake getting a 40 gallon tank because I'm now getting a 100. Get the biggest one you can afford, and go double on the rating of the filter. I will be using two AQ 110 HOB filters and consider that just adequate.

From what I am reading and experiencing I think that is sound advice on the filtering subject and testing.

The smell of my tank is already much better since I started coming here to learn a few things but I am curious on the readings. I'll report back on the readings after I get a kit.

100 gallon tank....nice. I wouldnt mind it now that I know about the python but space may be an issue. Wife might also freak hearing that.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I am not allowed to ask again until I finish painting the dining room....

You are right about that 75 and the 55. But I think I can pull it off if I just say its a 55 and buy the 75.

Unless of course she reads my posts and reads my evil plan...

Did I mention my wife is a wonderful and beautiful woman AND a great mother?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
75 gallon tank is 48x18 x 20 inches tall...

90 gallon is 48x18 x 24 inches tall...

They fit on the same piece of furniture.

Hmmmmmmm......

Me thinks I can slip a 90 in the living room because it is the same footprint.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I went to pick up a new 100 gallon unit today but the lady was the only one there, no one to help me lift it in my truck. The place is a 4 minute walk away so I will get my brother tomorrow to help me.

This thing weighs 150 lbs. I'm guessing. The sides are 3/8 inch thick, the bottom is 1/2 inch thick. Add 100 gallons @ 8.34 lb/gal, some gravel, pumps and 6 fish and we have 1000 lbs sitting there. About the same as two 390 cubic inch V-8 motors.

TAL, If you go for the big tank, make sure you have a sturdy stand for it.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Stay safe emman.

Som: 150lbs???? Holy heck. Thats alot of weight and you havent added the water!!

Yikes... I better check the framing below where I am putting mine.

This house is from 1890! WHere did I put my spare screwjacks???

ETA: about the stand.... if they say the stand is for a 75,90 or 110..then it should be more than sturdy enough right???

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I would think so...

I did get the tank and it is every bit of 150 lbs. Water is 8.34 lb/gal, gravel is more. Do the math.

Obviously I'm no mechanical engineer but if the tank is close to, or next to, the wall the floor should hold the weight better.

My house is about 60 years old. I have one wall that is floor to ceiling with records. 8' high, 12' long. Lp's and 45 rpms. About 7000 of them. Tremendous amount of weight.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
NEWS NEWS NEWS

I ordered my 75 gallon tank. YEAAAYYYY

NOw...

My Bio-Wheel water flow went down to almost 0. The wheel would not even spin.

I had to break the whoile thing done, clean out the sludge and rebuild.

WOrks nice now.

QUESTION: Are there different types of Bio-wheel makes?

Biggest one I saw was rated up to a 75 gallon tank but wouldnt I want one rated for a much larger tank??? DO they make em that big?

I had cake for breakfast.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
you know, you don't have to go with a bio-wheel... seems like a very nice luxury though

Being that the BIO wheel seems to be the onbly reason I still have fish i AM a big fan of the thing.

WHats wrong with luxury???

BTW... are still logged into chat as BRB. Fix that!!!!!