shy fish?

Sep 25, 2008
Hey guys im new to this forum and fish tanks, even though i've already had two lol. I recently had a 5 gallon bow front, and it started leaking so we got a 5g hex. My fish absolutely don't come out of this little pirate **** i have for them. I had it in my recent tank too and no problems they were out all the time. I recently got a new pleco, and im started to think my rainbow shark is imitating him does that sound possible? lol. Back on topic at first i thought it was the light but i turned it off all day and night and still no budge, only a little. Can someone help me? By the way i have 1 pleco, 1 pictus catfish, 1 rainbow shark, and an african dwarf frog, i probably should have added that first lol. sorry

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Your tank is EXTREMELY overstocked. The best thing for you to do is use the 1 inch per gallon rule.
What type of Pleco is it? I imagine it's a common right? He'll get around a foot long.
The Catfish will get 5 inches (that's your whole tank right there)
The rainbow shark will get 6 inches.
And the African Dwarf Frog... I don't know much about them.

For one you need to re-think your stocking. Get rid of the pleco and the shark. yes it looks cool but it really needs much more than just 5 gallons of water. The catfish is really all you can have in that tank comfortably.

They're probably shy because they have no space... And because they just got moved.
Hex also cuts down the fish due to no footprint. All of your fish there need a larger footprint in the tank to be happy.

First off, welcome to the tank, you've come to the right place!

Rayneuki just said it all, but I'll post anyway to rub it in...:)
You definitely want to go with the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water rule. The smaller the tank, the more likely it is to be overstocked.
Plecos can get over a foot long sometimes! Even I don't want one in my 55g.
Basically, all your fish will soon be way to big for your tank, except for the frog. I'd try to return all of them (except the frog :).)

Edit: the best things you can stick in a 5g hex are either a betta (male or female), some shrimp, that frog, or a dwarf puffer. But try not to go over 5 inches...

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
somethings gonna eat that frog, and that rainbow sharks gonna start getting fiesty with someone, if it's the pleco then when they mature there could be war! ...

Overstocked tank, 3 things could happen. You fish die of stress, You stunt the growth of your fish and they die prematurely, your fish still grow and end up not being able to turn around in a tank that small.

If it sounds like me or rayneuki are being mean, WE ARE! Wherever you got advice from for setting up and stocking your tank, it was bad advice and it may not have been your fault. What we can do though is help you set up the right tank for your fish so they will live happily and grow, otherwise you can return them to the fishstore (you should be able to get store credit or exchange them for fish that stay small) Or you could let them suffer and die in your tank.

The catfish requires a 20G tank
The rainbow shark is territorial and requires a 30G tank minimum with hiding places and NO OTHER SHARKS ALLOWED TO BE MIXED.
The pleco, if common can grow to be near 2 feet long. It needs a 75G tank.
The African Dwarf frog is the only species you have that can suitably live in your tank.
Fish need tank space because they need room to swim, and excrete wastes without having to breathe it right back in. Also some fish like your rainbow shark are territorial and need their own area to defend.

5 gallon tanks aren't meant to hold much. You can have 3-4 dwarf frogs in there, or 1 betta fish. It's too small to keep schools of fish or fish that grow > 4 inches.

I recommend returning your fish, get a few more dwarf frogs and just keep them in there.

***Don't take offense to this post, this is constructive criticism. See new post ***

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Wow, i didn't think i was too over stocked!!! :\. What if i would up grade to a bigger tank in a month or two, could i wait or should this be delt with immediately? The 5g is a replacement tank, my friend is just letting me borrow it, so i am really in the market for a larger tank, i was thinking a 30. I was actually thinking about getting rid of the cat cuz he poops ALOT. Would it be alright if i kept the rainbow, the frog and the pleco.. I thought fish only grew according to their surroundings(tank)?? I can't bring myself to get rid of the pleco, some how they are my favorite. What if i got another kind of one all don't grow to 18'', right?

Get a 55g!!! :D The bigger the better! Try to get the largest tank/stand you can afford (money and space wise) because it will be worth it and save you money in the end!

I hear plecos turn into poop machines when they get bigger...I'd replace him with a rubberlip pleco or a bristlenose pleco, both only get 6" I believe.

And no, they don't grow according to their tanks...their outsides don't grow, but their insides (organs) do grow and you can imagine what happens...

Edit: forgot to mention - you're gonna have to cycle that tank and that can take a couple months sometimes. So the sooner you get that upgrade, the better. In the meantime I'd get rid of at least the pleco...

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Fish will grow to their enviroment sometimes... But that is only their outside, their organs continue to grow and eventualy they die from that and disease. Would you like it if someone put you in a 5' by 5' box for your entire life and said that you had enough space? I don't think so.

Also, if you want a cool algea eater that stays small... Go with an Otto :] I love my Otto... They are cuuute~

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, i didn't think i was too over stocked!!! :\. What if i would up grade to a bigger tank in a month or two, could i wait or should this be delt with immediately? The 5g is a replacement tank, my friend is just letting me borrow it, so i am really in the market for a larger tank, i was thinking a 30. I was actually thinking about getting rid of the cat cuz he poops ALOT. Would it be alright if i kept the rainbow, the frog and the pleco.. I thought fish only grew according to their surroundings(tank)?? I can't bring myself to get rid of the pleco, some how they are my favorite. What if i got another kind of one all don't grow to 18'', right?
the rainbow and the pleco are going to get rather large, the pleco being the bigger latter of the 2 by far. bottom feeders dont usually eat fish but your dwarf frog will fit in their mouths so they might

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
If it sounds like me or rayneuki are being mean, WE ARE! Wherever you got advice from for setting up and stocking your tank, it was BAD ADVICE and it may not have been all your fault. What we can do though is help you set up the right tank for your fish so they will live happily and grow, otherwise you can return them to the fishstore (you should be able to get store credit or exchange them for fish that stay small) Or you could let them suffer and die in your tank.
Chill out, if this how your going to react to every newb that shows up here your going to make this a very unfriendly forum. 90% of the folks that find this forum are in this same boat. No one wants to take advice from someone attacking them.

Ok onto the advice..first I am going to agree with all previous posts on you being overstocked. I will say if you are serious about upgrading then keep them until you have upgraded. If your not seriously going to upgrade then get rid of the fish and go with something that will fit into your tank.

Second as you have already been told fish do not grow to their environments they can be stunted which will cause them to die.

The common rule is 1in of fish per gallon..so if you have a fish that will grow to 6in you need atleast 6g, the rule goes out the window for you pleco due to the amount of waste they produce. Figure you need atleast 3g per inch for a pleco..so a 12in pleco IMO needs 36G.

Do some more research ask questions here and never buy out of impulse. Read the stickies in the beginners forum..lots of good info there.

Welcome to the tank.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
It has nothing to do with your saying your being mean..it has to do with the way you came across in the posting to begin with. Newbies come here looking for advice not to be belittled for there mistakes, I am not a MOD so you can post whatever u want but I am going to come back next time and say the same thing. I havent been a member of this forum for very long but I have been here more than a month and most of the newbie's that post here are because of mistakes like this one, they dont research until they have a problem or a question. A little bit of tact goes a long way. Unfortunately your good information IMO probably got lost in delivery.

Ok back to your thread LT shinyside..let us know what you decide to do.

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
If I came across mean I didn't mean to really. :p

I meant to sound like the mother who's shaking her finger at you with that "I'm dissapointed in you!" frown. Not mean :D

Yes, let us know. Too bad you missed the petco clearance sale, you could'a gotten a biiig tank for cheap. I'd shop around, I buy most of my tanks off of Craigslist or Petco.

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums usually has some great deals if you're going for 'keep the fish and move to a bigger tank'. Otherwise... GET A BIGGER TANK ANYWAY! :D Then you can get all sorts of fishies!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Believe it or not 99% of us make mistakes when we first start up a tank. Either it was a hand me down and we were overjoyed with getting fish, we were misinformed, etc etc. Heck I lost 6 tiger barbs when I started back in August and my problem was cycling my tank and water parameters. Everyone makes mistakes and I got the same responses, I just didn't see them as offensive (they may very well have been!). In your case your fish are still alive and young, so just do the best you can to keep them alive until you can make the choice to return some of them, or get a larger tank. There should be a sticky for maintaining a new tank with proper cycling fluids and water changes. Plus you should definitely go out there and get an API Master water test kit. Not the strips (those don't work very well I got them). The kit should be about 20.00 or so @ a PetSmart, Walmart, etc. The fish/tank recommendations I made in my initial post are pretty accurate, someone will correct me if not so~

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Did someone mention an overstocked tank?????

No really.... I am just like to OP (OK...WAYYY worse)

I can relate to the OP. Stores tell you whatever to sell you seomthing, product packaging lets you think its fine to have 20 fish in a limited tank and most people get into fish without knowing a whole lot.

We are in a lucky position to have someone who came here to share their fishkeeping with us. We get to have a new cyber buddy, see thier system (pics please!) and they get to learn from allt he great info and people here.

It is a win win and the fish are happier too. Lets try not to beat up the newbs to badly - otherwise we might sound like snobs.

Hmm...there's a haiku in there somewhere!

Welcome to MFT. You might not feel overstocked right now but when you factor in bio-load, water issues, tank management and fish happiness - youo may find what most of us has found and that is careful tank stocking is very important for your fish and your enjoyment of them

Now....I have a Haiku to write....check it out in the lounge forum and write your own too!!!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I have a pleco and a rainbow shark....

In my tank the pleco is thoroughly unimpressed by the rainbow and the rainbow has just learned to stay out of his way.

Do you have to feed that ADF by hand? I heard they have a hard time finding food - but that tank with its limited bottom surface maybe perfect for him.

Sep 25, 2008
I do not feed the ADF by hand, but usually in the morning and at nights he swims to the top and thats when i sprinkle bood worms in. I initially bought the 5g bow tank for my girl and didn't do much research before purchasing the tank and we just got so facinated and started getting more into it lol. Im happy i ran into this site before we just went fish-crazy. Im not sure how long it'll take to get a tank so what could i do with the bigger fish, would petco or somewhere do a trade in or something?

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
They usualy do, as long as your fish look healthy they should give you store credit. That's what they do for me when I want a trade-in (or someone buys me a fish that really shouldn't go in my tank).

:] Are the frogs fun? I've always been curious about them... A friend of mine has some and says they use their little 'hands' to sweep the bloodworms in their mouth.

Sep 25, 2008
Also how much more work and time should i expect if i upgrade from the 5g to 30g or more? Also, what if i had a normal filter, and an undergravel filter for the next upgrade, or would that just be a waste?

Last edited: