My new 38 Gallon tank.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Thanks DOY.

I went into a dollar store with the wife for halloween decorations. They had this display of fake flowers where you could pick out the ones you want to make your own display. I bought some big leafy things and I bought some medium leafy things. Washed them off and in the tank they went. They didnt have the things to hold them down like when you buy the plants at the fish store but with some patience I got them weighted down.

The fish LOVE them. The rainbow shark and the pleco hide in the big leafy plants all day. The Betta swims around them all the time. Sometimes I cant even find all five of the tetras. I saved a ton vs buying that many plants at petco!

Do background go on inside the tank? If so, I have a problem!

ETA: What would lok better? Background or no background?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
Some backgrounds, like ones that are carved foam do go inside the tank, but the standard ones that you see that are just a color, or an underwater scene, go on the outside. Mine is actually just several pieces of black card stock put on with painters tape. Not high class, but it looks nice. I don't know which would look better, since it's a white wall behind it, it looks cool at night all glowing, but sometimes the fish stand out better against a dark background. You could always hold up something behind it and just see how you like it. I like my black background and black gravel a lot. It makes the fish stand out.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
That's one mighty swanky tanky wanky.

Black background would make that look extra swank.

A digital thermometer is much easier to hide than that one you have. I got 3 of 'em for my many tanks, $8.99 each - at Pet(Smart?)(Co?), one of those two.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Some backgrounds, like ones that are carved foam do go inside the tank, but the standard ones that you see that are just a color, or an underwater scene, go on the outside. Mine is actually just several pieces of black card stock put on with painters tape. Not high class, but it looks nice. I don't know which would look better, since it's a white wall behind it, it looks cool at night all glowing, but sometimes the fish stand out better against a dark background. You could always hold up something behind it and just see how you like it. I like my black background and black gravel a lot. It makes the fish stand out.
yeah often black/dark substrate makes your fish color up more and stand out. So I would think a black background would work the same way.

I heard RTS can get so dark black with dark substrate that they get hard to see, but since you have a rainbow the fins would stand out too.

Jun 21, 2008
Here's a pic TAL. The tank is still under construction, but getting there, and fully stocked except for probably an angel that I'll add in soon. I like this pic because the danios and tetras are schooling nicely. You can see how they pop against the black background. The 2 blue rams are visible, one in front of the neck of the blue bottle, and the larger one just above the other end of the bottle. I know you asked about them, so if it helps to see them in my tank, there you go. My favorite in this pic is the upside down clown loach. He's fine, just eating off the bottom of the leaves. Hope this helps.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
TAL THAT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY NOW THE FEET ARE NOT THERE!! BUT I CAUGHT YOU!!

Last edited by TAL; 10-05-2008 at 06:28 PM.

YOU TOOK THEM OUT HAHA I AM NOT CRAZY!

Jun 21, 2008
Thanks. My girlfriend and I spent a lot of time on it, cutting the tops or bottoms of the bottles off, (that was an adventure), sealing the labels with silicon, pouring boiling water over them. It was fun. I'm glad you like it.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
I did that too my first time because i was scared of the water like making the glass collapse, but i filled my 55 gallon right up to the point you can hardly see the water break and it looks very nice and does not seem to want to explode haha.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I did not know this was even a consideration.....

Ya learn something everyday.

Glad to see you fixed your virus Lt :)

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Picture!

Here, this is for you TAL this is my very un-aquascaped fish tank were my little Oscar resides!

My fish is like right here
......................|
......................| His name is Grubby!
......................|
......................V

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Aww.... its like you gave me a little gift :)

I feel warm and fuzzy. You seem like a really nice person Lt. I like you.

I like your un-aquascaped tank very much.

Grubby is a cool little guy. I am sure he likes all the swimming space you have given him! If I were a fish I would want to be your fish.

I wish I wish I wish I were a fish (Hi Don Knots)

Until next time.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Haha, i am thinking once i get my canister filter in the mail and install it he will get a bran new peace of driftwood! Until then i am unsure were to place it and what size and structure i want!

If you were a fish, I'd build you a rock cave so you could hide from the Oscar! ;D