community tank

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
I was just woundering if I could put a school of barbs in a community tank. Its a 55 gallon and right now there is only 4 danios in it because thats all I had in my other tank. I want to start to slowly putting fish in and i would like a variety of schools and on or two centerpeices. The barbs would be albino, green or tiger barbs. Also the tank is done cycling...i transfered everything from a 10 g to help cycle.

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
You can put barbs in with your danios. Most smaller fish that school like to be in groups of at least 4 but do better in larger schools. Do you have a list of possible centerpiece fish?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Those are all tiger barbs, just color variants... As long as you get at least 5-6 tiger barbs they should be fine with the danios. Also I would add a few or even double the size of your danio school just to make them more secure and it would look a lot better. If you get tiger barbs though you need to be careful with your center piece fish(s).. any ideas?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
sounds good, the danios are fast enough to keep up with the tiger barbs. any semi-aggro centerpiece fish works, but nothing with long/fancy tails ie: angelfish. Also no cichlids, some people might have mixed feelings about that though~

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
Were I live it is really hard to get a good selection of fish without going 2-3 hours away....So how is ordering online? I have never tried it and im thinking it will be my best choice to get those less popular species. Also if i was to get a chichlid or a pair would that not really limit what i could put in the tank in the future? E.G school of small tetras?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
oh, right; I had south american cichlids in mind; which would eat the barbs when big enough. Most african cichlids would work. They might not tolerate the tiger barbs aggression and have mini-wars :confused: I'm not sure never really heard of anyone mixing them up
smaller cichlids would work.. rams, kribs, keyholes, apistos and such....

brentd123

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2008
paisley, Ontario, Canada
I have been thinking, and I think that I will leave the cichlids out of the tank for now. Maybe when i get another tank ill make it a cichlid tank. So for now im gunna have 6 tiger barbs, 8 zebra danios, a small pleco of some kind and maybe a school of some kind of fish with a little colour and a male betta or something like that and Oh ya and I receved a lonley little red-eyed tetra so im gunna get 3 more of them to make a small school so he feels more safe. sounding good??any other thoughts?? im going to get the barbs and tetras today and put them in my QT tank.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
No Betta, No No No To The Betta

it has 'fancy tails' and is way too slow for the barbs' it will get pwned! XD It is a community fish but never a community fish when you have a community of fin-nippers (tiger barbs are one of them). Bettas are "fighting fish" but they really only quarrel with other bettas. I mean it might put up a fight with the barbs but it has no chance imo