30 gallon, newbie, cant wait to get started

Jan 14, 2009
i cant wait to get to work on it this weekend.
haha im going to post a before and after....

im still undecided about the decor... i find myself browsing thru too many pictures to find inspiration/direction

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Since your just starting out you really don't want to deal with any mean fish...I'd get a good size school of tetras, 7 or so... a school of 6 cories to patrol the bottom for uneaten food and that leave you with enough room for a larger centerpiece fish that is not too aggressive to the tetras or cories... maybe a single gourami, betta, With this set up you could also have shrimp I would think but you need to be careful about what you center piece fish is then.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Yes, you can mix cories . . . I have heard stories from people that say they don't get along, but I have never had that problem. Mine play and hang out together with no problem.

Last edited:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Yes, you can mix cories . . . I have heard stories from people that say they don't get along, but I have never had that problem. Mine play and hang out together with no problem.
I think skunk cories are meaner than others so if you'd mix and match maybe don't use these... Again I've never had them but just an idea.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
im thinking...
7 neon tetras/or platies
2 cherry barbs
1 or 2 red tail sharks
2 cories
1 center piece.
Shrimp for the bottom

Does this work?
you can only do 1 redtail shark or 1 rainbow shark. NO MORE THAN 1, and NOT 1 OF EACH either. Theyre too territorial and it will just create a lot of aggression in your tank. This isn't 100% true but for the most part it is very accurate. There's just no way you will have a peaceful tank with more than 1 of them. At the juvenile stage theyre okay but once they mature someones gonna die *SICK*

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Since your just starting out you really don't want to deal with any mean fish...I'd get a good size school of tetras, 7 or so... a school of 6 cories to patrol the bottom for uneaten food and that leave you with enough room for a larger centerpiece fish that is not too aggressive to the tetras or cories... maybe a single gourami, betta, With this set up you could also have shrimp I would think but you need to be careful about what you center piece fish is then.
If he is going the tiger barb route, NO BETTA. The tiger barbs will shred it to death... Also I don't know if the gourami thing will fly either because they have those long feelers, and are pretty slow the barbs might nip away at those too. Be very careful what kind of fish you mix with tiger barbs. You don't want anything less than semi-aggressive, and you don't want to mix fish with fancytails/long fins

A fishless cycle takes longer than a week.

MISSFISHY (I think) Has a lovely page on her website that gives the instructions for a fishless cycle.

IF you want to jump-start/instantly cycle your tank pull a seasoned filter pad or media out of someone elses ESTABLISHED disease free tank and add it to your filter. I always run an extra (HOB HANG ON BACK) on my larger tanks just incase someone local needs a filter pad or I need to set up an emergency hospital/quarantine tank. Decorations and gravel also carry some ammount of beneficial bacteria. (BE CAREFUL THAT NONE OF THEM DRY OUT... YOU WILL KILL OFF ANY BACTERIA... OR LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH CHLORINATED WATER.)

Jan 14, 2009
yup, looks like im going to do a fishless cycle
it'll give me some time to decide on what to stock the tank with

option 1:
7 neon tetras
2 cherry barbs
2cories
1 red tail shark
1 centerpiece
shirmp

option 2:
7 neon tetras
6 cories
1 centerpiece
shrimp

Im just a beginner, so im leaning towards a more peaceful tank. But option one does seem more eye pleasing.

Any thoughts?