need some help

May 7, 2009
Awesome, thanks!

Anyway, gonna order the API test kit and most likely a sponge filter tonight. Bought a heater earlier today, but haven't put it in. Whats a recommended temperature for tetra's and mollies?

And.. June 2nd is when I will have to move all my stuff into a dorm room. The college is in my town, so not a far distance. (Mom wants me to learn independence >.<) Whats the best way to move the fish? Just bag 'em?

May 7, 2009
Yeah, it's not even half an hour. Lol MAYBE 15 minutes >.<

And a thing about cycling with fish..
How often do I need to do water changes and how much at a time? I've read about cycling with fish, but it seems to be a toss up on water changes. I've read some that say anywhere from 20-50% once a week and I have read others that don't even mention a water change.

May 7, 2009
Ohhh, I found an old 10 gallon tank in our workshop thingy yesterday. I'm somewhat tempted to buy a filter and a few other things and just get it cycling (fishless this time lol). But, I am not sure if I will have room for two tanks in a dorm room (the rooms are a decent size, just not sure if there will be shelf room or anything)

I mainly want a tank for a betta, but not sure if it's even worth the trouble right now (only 3 weeks before I move everything)

Suggestions? I'm thinking it will be easier to just move in, see if I have room, if so, buy the 5 gallon kit at walmart.

I think I am getting ahead of myself. XD

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I would recommend waiting till after classes start to decide if you should set up an additional tank. This way, you'll have a grasp of what your work-load will be like, and if you'll have the additional time to dedicate to a second tank.

I have several tanks and it can get hectic trying to maintain them while in college.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Yeah, it's not even half an hour. Lol MAYBE 15 minutes >.<

And a thing about cycling with fish..
How often do I need to do water changes and how much at a time? I've read about cycling with fish, but it seems to be a toss up on water changes. I've read some that say anywhere from 20-50% once a week and I have read others that don't even mention a water change.
when cycling with fish youll be doing 50% water changes every other day at least.
you should really get an API MASTER TEST KIT !!!!!!
and test often to see were you are at ( Ammonia,Nitrite and Nitrate levels.)
unless you have unusual water ( well or city water leading to extreme PH differences ) water changes cant hurt just make sure to keep water temp the same.

May 7, 2009
I ordered the test kit last night.

I can do a water change today. Wednesday I believe was the last time I did one. Hopefully the test kit won't take long; I have a feeling these strips aren't too accurate.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
so far ur ammonia seems to be at a tolerable lvl. has it been decreasing or has it been increasing? if it's decreasing then ur on the downside of the ammonia cycle but about to jump into the nitrite cycle.

May 7, 2009
so far ur ammonia seems to be at a tolerable lvl. has it been decreasing or has it been increasing? if it's decreasing then ur on the downside of the ammonia cycle but about to jump into the nitrite cycle.

Well I just got a reliable ammonia test kit, so to be honest, I'm not sure. I'm going to test ammonia everyday now. Would be nice to know where I am in the cycle. Lol

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I just wanted to add that bettas are fine in a one gallon... the problem is the tank/bowl needs filtration .

Are you fishless cycling now? If so add ammonia to get it up to 5ppms, otherwise its going to drop before nitrite increases. Test everyday to make sure ammonia stays up there.
But if you are doing the fish-in cycling, then water changes are necessary for the fish (You want ammonia and nitrite to be at the lowest level possible)

How much and how often really depends on the ammonia being produced by the fish.
Plastic plants don't affect the water color at all. Like Homebunny said, that was more likely caused by the driftwood.

Expect to see a bacteria bloom (white cloudy water) and don't worry about trying to fix it. It clears up on its own.