Any fish to go with tetras?

janis

Small Fish
May 21, 2009
hi. your tank is only 10 gallons and i think you have enough fish for that 10 gallons. don't overstock. here is something that might help you with the idea.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Really?? I've heard thatit's the good old one-inch-per-gallon sorta thing. All the fish I have are only gonna grow 1 inch.
I planned on:

5 inches on neon tetras

2 inches of bottom feeder

3 inches of a (undecided) "centerpiece" fish (A dalmatian molly?)

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
The pygmy cory is the smallest but kinda cute rather than striking because they are a drabbish gray with a black stripe. I'd say to chose about 5 beautiful emerald greens, they're very cute in manner as well as gorgeous, and their babies are adorable. If you can't keep the babies, sell them to Petco or some other fish-shop, you can redeem them for food or fish supplies. They grow at ultimate maximum 3 inches in length, but their mouths are teeny, they're very peaceful, and you will be surprised how small they really are.

Last edited:

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
If you're trying to keep within the "1 inch per gallon" I wouldn't go for corys, they like to be in groups - i.e shoals of 6 or more. And also, "emerald cories" aren't corydoras at all, they're brochis, although they look very similar brochis grow quite a bit bigger, often double the size of your standard cory cat, and the LAST thing I'm guessing you want in a 10 gallon is to be fishing out loads of tiny fry! Someone else might be able to help me here though, in a 10 gallon would a pair of pygmy cories work or would they want the security of a bigger group?

Dalmation mollies can and do grow quite big, 3 inches sounds about right. A decent centrepiece IMO is a single male dwarf gourami or a betta - about 2 inches maximum in size for both. Mollies can become slightly aggressive, males especially, but I'm not sure whether this is only because of mating competition, I've never kept them singly. If you want a molly though make sure you buy a male rather than a female who is likely to be already pregnant. And also, the reason you won't specifically find a page on "dalmation mollies" is because these are just a variation - they're part of the species Poecilia sphenops which includes sailfin mollies, silver mollies, black mollies, lyretails etc etc.

It sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into this which is really promising and should result in a very rewarding hobby :)

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
If you're trying to keep within the "1 inch per gallon" I wouldn't go for corys, they like to be in groups - i.e shoals of 6 or more. And also, "emerald cories" aren't corydoras at all, they're brochis, although they look very similar brochis grow quite a bit bigger, often double the size of your standard cory cat, and the LAST thing I'm guessing you want in a 10 gallon is to be fishing out loads of tiny fry! Someone else might be able to help me here though, in a 10 gallon would a pair of pygmy cories work or would they want the security of a bigger group?

Dalmation mollies can and do grow quite big, 3 inches sounds about right. A decent centrepiece IMO is a single male dwarf gourami or a betta - about 2 inches maximum in size for both. Mollies can become slightly aggressive, males especially, but I'm not sure whether this is only because of mating competition, I've never kept them singly. If you want a molly though make sure you buy a male rather than a female who is likely to be already pregnant. And also, the reason you won't specifically find a page on "dalmation mollies" is because these are just a variation - they're part of the species Poecilia sphenops which includes sailfin mollies, silver mollies, black mollies, lyretails etc etc.

It sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into this which is really promising and should result in a very rewarding hobby :)

Mollies grow up to 5 inches and require a brackish environment or at least a dose of aquarium salt in order to thrive. Cories are not very tolerant of salt or of hard water and will not thrive in the same environmnet that the Molly would thrive in.

A platy or Swordfish would be a better choice since they come from a similiar environment to the Cory.

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF

I know they're brochis, but aquarists often refer to them as emerald cories. & Duh you don't wait for them to turn into fry, you take the eggs out before they hatch and raise them in something like a small bucket. If you had them like me, mebbe you would realize how small they really are as adults. You don't need more than five. & 3 in is their length, not their cubic size. Their cubic size is 'round 1-1 & 1/2 in.

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
btw two cories will cope with slight lonelyness, just make sure they're two different genders, and they should be fine. also making the bottom sand solves their need for the privacy of a shoal, cuz they'll burrow in it for comfort and privacy. If you think Emerald greens are too big, get the cute lil' pygmies instead, they top out at 'round three centimeters.*thumbsups

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
For Emeralds these are the length dimensions:

(_______________________) at most. Their mouths are this large: Q The babies r a smashing 1/8 of an inch.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
FYI I have kept emerald brochis and I agree they are fascinating fish, but the problem is they're probably too big for a 10gallon. 3 inches is double the adult size of most corydoras catfish. If anything I'd also go with pygmies.

And I don't think the gender thing really matters does it? They're not aggressive fish in the slightest, as I said I really don't think she wants to breed them at the end of the day, and on a gravel substrate it's significantly harder to fish out eggs to raise them elsewhere.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
If I was going to breed fish, I would only start with a few of that kind of fish, so I could keep some fry. I really want to get something new soon, because the neons are getting a bit boring- I find they have no personality (no offense to my neons :) ). It feels like there is no bottom feeder/algae eater that can be it's only kind in a tank!! It's sot of frustrating at times.
Well, the reason I want a centerpiece fish at three inches is because many bottom feeders are two inches, and aren't gouramis two inches as well? It would sort of take away from the "centerpiece" feel, don't you think? I may end up getting a gourami anyways, or a different bottom feeder that's smaller.
Is there a bottom feeder or algae eater that grows one inch? Then I could get two of them and get a gourami. I'll do some more research on the gourami then...

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've heard Mollies can be every size, like from one source I heard they where two inches, another source six inches and another three and a half! It's hard to know what's true!
How big do pygmy cories get?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Pygmy cories are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable!!!! I want to rush out and get some right now :D! I could probably get two or three, seeing as they're so small!!
Oh this is turning out so perfect! I have four fish in my school right now, so I could get:
One dwarf gourami (two inches)
Three pygmy cories (three inches maximum)

And I currently have four inches of fish, so it would work out so nicely!! :D :D :D
what do you all think??

Last edited: