Same Isssue Been a while What Now?

luv2fish35

Small Fish
Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
i highly recommend the liquid drop test kit, API Master Test Kit.
its a wise investment. and post some numbers, not ok,within limits etc., actual numbers.
NH3,NO2,NO3 and PH ,Temp.
Ok will do...
hey btw my female molly has been hiding in the corner of the tank by the heater and just acting like she's going to die but she's still alive tonight I really got to looking at her as she came out and her gills by her head look as I describe them disarrayed and i think i kinda see something white sticking out from under them but not sure so i took her out of my main tank and put her in a small tank i had for now and added some treatment for ich what do u think? it doesn't really look like ich but not sure...

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Ok will do...
hey btw my female molly has been hiding in the corner of the tank by the heater and just acting like she's going to die but she's still alive tonight I really got to looking at her as she came out and her gills by her head look as I describe them disarrayed and i think i kinda see something white sticking out from under them but not sure so i took her out of my main tank and put her in a small tank i had for now and added some treatment for ich what do u think? it doesn't really look like ich but not sure...

I should change this it wasn't her gills its the scales on top of her head area and gill area.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I know exactly what youre talking about. It looks sort of like a white spine sticking just barely out from under the scale right? My swordtail female had this for her first few days in my tank. i thought it was a worm parasite, but i didnt treat or anything, and left her alone. after about 4 days it was starting to retract, and after that week i havent seen it since.

Chances are its a parasite that has completed its life cycle and died off. Its definatly not ich tho, so i wouldnt do that treatment. add a small amount of salt as that can help.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
I know exactly what youre talking about. It looks sort of like a white spine sticking just barely out from under the scale right? My swordtail female had this for her first few days in my tank. i thought it was a worm parasite, but i didnt treat or anything, and left her alone. after about 4 days it was starting to retract, and after that week i havent seen it since.

Chances are its a parasite that has completed its life cycle and died off. Its definatly not ich tho, so i wouldnt do that treatment. add a small amount of salt as that can help.
yeah it does but she isn't getting any better now and she won't eat in the smaller tank should I put her back with the population? and i did the Ich treatment as a precaution as I'm not an expert at this so...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
try to minimize stress by providing cover, and keeping your lights off longer. it should be eating if it gets hungry... never had swords refuse food (heck they eat 5 sec after entering a new tank.)
Check the water parameters and make sure the tank shes in is fully cycled.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Well just a quick update on the situation...Things have settled down a bit and the water has seemed to stablize some my fish seem happy and healthy now. I did lose my pleco so I won't get another one of those but any suggestions for a good algae eater non aggressive and stay small will be helpful...My molly that I've isolated with the white suspicious object pertruding from her scales above her head is still hanging on She looks like if she was a bird how they look when they get their feathers ruffled up Her scales all seem to be ruffled looking but no other white objects anywhere yet she doesn't move much won't eat much tries to take a nibble or two but then stops like it hurts or something. But the white object kinda looks a little bigger still can't tell what it is but no other spots have developed so I don't think its Ich. But what could it possibly be and how should I treat it to help her?

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
raise the temp to 80F and add a half of a teaspoon of salt to about 5 gallons of changed water. by that i mean only add the salt when you do a water change.

what do you mean by stabilize? what are the readings, im just curious?