Were to get a large fish tank

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
My male was in his little holding tank for a couple of days until he got tired of it and jumped out (the rim of the tank was above the common water level). He never tried to make her a bubble nest or anything. It was suggested by other betta breeders that since I got him from Petsmart and he was older when I got him (longer finnage, etc), that he was a retired breeder and had had enough of it, so he just didn't want to. IDK, though.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
?!?!?! YOU GUYS GOT SOME SWEET DEALS THERE! And I thought I was lucky when I found my 20 gallon in the garbage! Then I go spend like $175+ on accessories, fish, etc. Geez you guys are lucky! Holy crap, 20 goldfish? In a 1 gallon?! That's crazy!!
man this thread is fun to read :p

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Haha, yea, I completely agree with you ValRosbora! The 55 cost $250 so far and that's without buying any of the fish!
And yea, 20 gold fish....why ANYONE would sell them that I don't know! She didn't even treat the water either

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
you can build some pretty amazing fish tanks yourself if you have work space and time.

I built fish tanks from an old plastic water drum, a beer keg, a fiberglass dingy, an old TV (the wood sided kind) and inside the shell of an older front-load washing machine.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
you can build some pretty amazing fish tanks yourself if you have work space and time.

I built fish tanks from an old plastic water drum, a beer keg, a fiberglass dingy, an old TV (the wood sided kind) and inside the shell of an older front-load washing machine.
I am imagining that front-load washing machine tank and it sounds sweet!

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
*gasp* You have a machine that does that too? I thought it was just me! LOL =]

I'm just picturing a beer-keg fish tank...drunk fish :):)
Sorry, my mind's getting the better of me
You should post some of those pics!! =]
what was really cool is the guy I built it for used 2 glass "Duff Beer" brand beer steins as fixtures with brown gravel "pouring" out of them on to white gravel and a small bubblestone set on low under the gravel to make it look like escaping carbonation.

he used to be a member here, but I haven't talked to him in years.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Freecycle is also a great place to get tanks. You can offer or ask for items and no money can change hands. Someone mentioned it of this forum about a year ago and it's worked for me several times.

So far this year I've received the following:

*29g with oscar and two gouramis--Freecycle
*29g and 10g--Freecycle
*stand for 20g--Freecycle
*55g--also free; local person didn't want it anymore

Other tanks/stands/etc I've gotten cheap:
*55g with stand--$50
*30g with stand--$50
*48" Coralife fixture (four lamps)--$50 + shipping (eBay) (saved $250)