Compatible Species & pH

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I recently inherited a 29 gallon aquarium due to neglect from the original owner. Upon receiving the tank I drained it and cleaned it accordingly along with all its contents; gravel, decor, etc and refilled it after adding several plants and the appropriate water treatment chemicals along with Seachem Stability.

It came with two fish (both cichlids), and I am seeking some advice as to what other fish I can add to build up the community. Surprisingly, the large cichlid, is rather passive while the smaller one can become aggressive at times, he has killed a few fish including an angel fish since he was introduced by the former owner.

Another thing that I’m unsure of is the ideal pH level to maintain within the tank with the current and suggested species that I’ll have.

Thank you for your inputs. *thumbsup2

-Scyroes

matt32

New Fish
Jan 2, 2010
I am guessing that your tank was completely cycled from the previous owner. If so you don't really need the stability and i also used it and it didn't seem to do anything. What type of cichlids do you have (even though i don't know much about them).

About the pH it is much better to keep a stable pH and acclimate new fish slowly to it then to try to set it at something using chemicals, so i would just leave it. In the wild tropical fish come from areas with all different pH levels.

Good luck with you Tank.

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I am guessing that your tank was completely cycled from the previous owner. If so you don't really need the stability and i also used it and it didn't seem to do anything. What type of cichlids do you have (even though i don't know much about them).

About the pH it is much better to keep a stable pH and acclimate new fish slowly to it then to try to set it at something using chemicals, so i would just leave it. In the wild tropical fish come from areas with all different pH levels.

Good luck with you Tank.

Hi Matt,

I believe they are American Cichlids; the larger one looks strikingly similar to this picture and he’s about the same size:

I’ve been doing some reading on the pH levels and apparently from what I’m seeing 6.5 to 7.0 is a common range, does that sound right?

Should I stick to Cichlids or can I branch out? My primarily concern in the aggressive factor and whether other species can survive it.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm not expert but I'm pretty sure the fish pictured is a Jack Dempsey. Named after the boxer because of their aggressive nature. I'm not sure what would go well with them, I've never kept them, but I'm thinking other boisterous fish, it may get too big for the tank in the long run.

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Any way of getting closer photos of the fish? The one I can see looks like a Kribensis, I can't be sure without a closer photo though. The only way of us determining what can go with your current fish is knowing what cichlids you have already.
Here are a few shots. The yellow one isn’t afraid to strike a pose, while the other is camera shy, difficult to get a decent shot of him.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
also since you said you cleaned out the tank good (possibly including the filter?), its likely you need to cycle it again...
Given that I had nowhere to store the fish over an extended period to allow a full cycle, I kept a portion of the previous water and balanced it out with the new water to maintain a 50/50 ratio in combination with a chemical stabilizer.

They seem to be doing fine - I won't be adding anymore fish until late next week at best just to be safe.

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Update:

Hi everyone,

I purchased another Cichlid today, comparable to the size of the Jack Dempsey I have and he has been relentlessly chased by the African Cichlid which I posted earlier throughout the aquarium (a smaller fish). He purposely seeks out the new tenant regardless of where he may be.

Will this eventually subside given time? Should I quarantine the aggressor temporarily? They’ve been in there for a few hours and there seems to be no sign of an end.

The Jack Dempsey isn't bothered whatsoever.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 27, 2009
Whenever I added to a cichlid tank, I'd capture all the existing fish and completely rearrange things in the tank, then add them all back at one time with the newcomers in the tank first, and lights out. Seemed to work out as everyone was busy trying to find his/her 'own' hiding place to defend.

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Whenever I added to a cichlid tank, I'd capture all the existing fish and completely rearrange things in the tank, then add them all back at one time with the newcomers in the tank first, and lights out. Seemed to work out as everyone was busy trying to find his/her 'own' hiding place to defend.

I'm going to have to try that. I already rearranged the decor while the fish were in the aquarium and there is still hostility. I hope to have more luck after trying your idea.

Thank you!

Feb 27, 2009
If you are adding only 1 new fish, might want to let it have the tank for itself for an hour or so after rearranging things, then add the others back in. I've always added a few of the same species when adding, and it helped to spread out the aggression. The newcomers would school together and defend themselves from the rest as a group.

Good luck!

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If you are adding only 1 new fish, might want to let it have the tank for itself for an hour or so after rearranging things, then add the others back in. I've always added a few of the same species when adding, and it helped to spread out the aggression. The newcomers would school together and defend themselves from the rest as a group.

Good luck!
I'm happy to report that the situation has improved considerably - they are far less hostile to each other now, so it looks as if they'll be alright.

Now I'm trying to satisfy their feeding preferences. Only one of the three I have will eat either pellets or flakes, the other two are one or the other.

What is the preferred food type by the majority of fishkeepers?