Setting up a planted aquarium

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
tramca your tank is looking wonderful, and it seems like your doing well with not rushing into things. A mistake that happens a lot in this hobby. Have you considered adding crypts to the tank specifically Red Wendtii Crypt, Cryptocoryne wendtii? They are my favorite plant in my planted setup and grow like crazy. Here is a picture of a group of three of them I bought in august. They are about four to five inches tall now and were only one and a half inches tall when I bought them.
those are some great looking plants

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks tropical, the nice thing about those plants is that they grow well even in a non co2 environment.
nice yeah i dont have C02 yet but im probably going wait on buying a pressurized C02 system until i get my 180-300g. then for this tank i will just get plants that dont require c02 for the meantime. hopefully within 6 months ill have a new tank to work with

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Those are nice plant Gregbox. Might think about buying some :)

The ludwigia is really growing! Its a lot thinner(stalks anf leaves) but it is seriously growing. Two of then came out of the substrate, and are floating on the surface, I need to replant on my next water change.

I tested parameters agina yesterday, its still good, so hopefully we're on the up and up!

Still got all the neons and rummies, so something's right :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
take a look at the rummy's noses are they bright neon red, or are the pinkish, or pale red?

Were gonna need some pics tramca :p the tank sounds good, now we just need to see some of it.

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Not ultra bright red, but very red. We are due a water change(Ste's job, HIS tank LOL) though he does always try to hint at me to do it. I told him if he keeps stating it's his tank, HE needs to do the maintenance LOL.

I'll get some new pics after we do the water change Newman.

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Thought I'd post a few new pics to show how it's coming on.

The tank when we first planted the ludwigia.....

Maybe almost a weeks growth......

Taken just now.......

How often is acceptable to add fish? We added the first 5 neons and 4 RN tetra on 16th (I said 14th on previous post I think but was more like the 16th if my memory serves me correct)

OH put 10 more neons in on Christmas eve, I actually was looking in tank after work, and thinking, hold on, why is there so many fish! Then he told me he'd gotten 10 as they were much smaller than our original ones :rolleyes:

Now, he's going to look at some BN plecs tonight, in the hope of buying 3, he's actually leaving no to go see them, theres a breeder about 30mins drive from us, sells them for £2, at 16 weeks old. Bargain in my eyes, LPS wanted £10 each!

Is that too much of a bio load too soon? I think maybe yes, but he's stubborn and wants the plecs NOW!

Last water test was 23/12 and it read ammo 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5ppm.

We did a water change today.

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
The babies were 16 weeks old, really tiny, so too young to sex yet. He talked us into buying 5, *shakes head* dont ask me why, but it only cost us £10 for them. They way I see it, is we can pick out a decent male, and two females, and rehome the others. That way we end up with what we want.

If any of you guys were in Liverpool, I'd let you have one or two once they're older :D

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Took a couple new pics.......

I tried buying some fert tabs, but had trouble getting any. All I found was packs of say 20, that you had to put in daily! So I ended up with some clay balls, fortified with trace minerals of bits and bobs that plants need. According to the instructions, they last a year. How is this possible? Of course I will still use my usual liquid food as per instructions on the bottle, but just wondered how the yearly balls actually work?

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Are they any good though?

So far all the plants are doing well, the tank looks green and lush. Ferns are really filling out. Ludwigia growing, but thin and spindly, I don't mind this though.
A question about Ludwigia though, I see lots of roots growing off the stems, will this plant spread across the substrate, or will it stay as it is? Wondering whether I need to plant more to thicken/bush it up a bit?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
A question about Ludwigia though, I see lots of roots growing off the stems, will this plant spread across the substrate, or will it stay as it is? Wondering whether I need to plant more to thicken/bush it up a bit?
If you want it to thicken and bush up, you'll have to trim the plants and replant the tops. Eventually, you'll see the plant start to split where you cut it, and two stems will emerge.
They can spread across the substrate as well. I had some L. Repens that started to spread horizontally, as it grew vertically, so it created a bush like that as well.