fish ideas

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
So I'm helping someone set up a 10 gallon tank, and was wondering what kind of fish you think would be good for it. It is freshwater and I think it'll be a community. Thanks!!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
have a good filter on that tank, like an aquaclear 20. I'd even use that aquaclear on a 5 gal tank lol. so for the ten you might be able to get an aquaclear 30. just control the flow...

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Make sure you don't add all of the fish at one time. Allow time for the bio filter to catch up after each new lot of fish you add. I would leave a week minimum between adding any more fish.

Last edited:

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Ok, so it might be like a twenty gallon, don't know for sure yet (this guy is a begginer and we have only communicated through email) Apparently it doesn't have a filter yet, so what would be a good one for a twenty gallon. Try to stay more on the cheap side, becaues I think he wants to keep the costs pretty low. :) Also, my nieghbor is going to give him some guppies, and I am going to give him my platy )plus he'll buy a few more platy). there is gonna to be some otos as well ( I sorry 'bout da grammer) what else would be good with them, corys?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea cories will be fine...guppies platies...lol that tank wont have much room for more stuff if he keeps getting free fish like that :p

an aqua clear 30-50 would be good on that tank...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
he's gonna need another filter...maybe another small sponge power-head filter eh?

Then you could stock 5 platy, 5 guppy, 5 otos, 5 peppered cory.
this puts you at 98% stocked for a 20 gal long tank, so 30# weekly water changes are mandatory..

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
no its not that it isn't big enough, it's just not enough to have that 1 filter. a good rule is to always pick a filter thats rate for much more than your tank's capacity. but the challenge comes from picking something thats not too much current for the fish ;)

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
So that tank was at a church, and was set up last wednesday. Me and the owner of the tank were thinking about a platy tank, but two days later, a random person in the churches youth group bought FIVE goldfish, one crab, and a dragon goby.And the people bought some goldfish flake food as well, but it can't be returned because it has been used. I AM ANGRY!!!! The water was still cloudy too!! One goldy already died, but we are planning on taking back the other fish to a pet store to see if they give us our money back. We stll need to wait for the people who put the fish in to give us the checks, so in the meantime I have two questions.

How do we feed the dragon goby and the crab? we only have flake food.

Will it be ok to feed platies goldfish flake, or at least ok to buy tropical flake food and mix them?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
no its not that it isn't big enough, it's just not enough to have that 1 filter. a good rule is to always pick a filter thats rate for much more than your tank's capacity. but the challenge comes from picking something thats not too much current for the fish ;)
I have read and going to try this, Using a nylon stocking piece and tying the filter output with it slows the flow. I have filter which has 3 setting the last setting suits for 500g pond too. first setting is for 100 G i think and thats where it is, the plants all over my tank are slowing the current :D. *PEACE!*