Pregnant Golden Mollies

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Yesterday I purchased a Golden Mollie, a Red Velvet Swordtail, and a Mickey Mouse Platy from Petco. This evening I got home from work only to find a small fry swimming awkwardly around. I had no idea that my fish was pregnant. It certainly doesn't look pregnant. I'm positive it's my Mollie because she has a dead fry hanging from her. I'm not sure what to do. Should I purchase a breeding net? I know the Swordtail is aggressive and will probably eat most of the fry. Is it possible that she is giving premature birth? Will she continue giving birth? I've only seen the live one and the dead one that's still hanging there. She's not chubby, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
It all depends on if you want to keep the fry or not. if you want to keep the fry buy a breeding box and hang it on the side of the tank and replenish the water until the fry is to big to be eaten. you choose. she may not have anymore or she may. you choose, keep fry or loose fry.

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Well, I obviously want the fry to survive, it's just I'm not sure if she's already finished, or isn't far enough along the way to be giving birth.

Feb 27, 2009
Livebearer fish like your molly can have several batches of fry over several months, since they can store sperm.

The stress of moving from the pet store to a new aquarium could have induced premature labor. If no fry live from this batch, likely there will be more in a few weeks.

Is your tank cycled? What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Welp, I bought a net breeder. As far as I know, my mollie hasn't had anymore fry. I'm still confused as to why it only had two. Is birth a lengthy thing for mollies?

Feb 27, 2009
Welp, I bought a net breeder. As far as I know, my mollie hasn't had anymore fry. I'm still confused as to why it only had two. Is birth a lengthy thing for mollies?
Not normally. But fish often eat fry if you do not seperate them. She may have had dozens but they were eaten by her or the other fish.

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
Well, I just bought her (and the other two) yesterday, so I'm pretty sure I would've noticed some extra little friends swimming around in there. I'll leave her in the breeder net for a week and see if anything else happens.

Feb 27, 2009
ok my only male guppie left died about a month ago. your tellin me my fish could still ahve babys ?
Yes.

Those that breed livebearers for specific traits (certain colors, fin length, etc.) seperate the males from females and then must wait months before breeding the females to different males. Otherwise, they would not know if the resulting babies are from the 1st male or the 2nd male.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
thats true. the most guppie fry ive had to survive is 6. i cant never get to her in time to save the fry. as of right now i have 1 new fry about 2-3 weeks old and another juvinile whos about 3-4 weeks old and the mama whos almost at 1 1/2 months

Feb 27, 2009
Well, I just bought her (and the other two) yesterday, so I'm pretty sure I would've noticed some extra little friends swimming around in there. I'll leave her in the breeder net for a week and see if anything else happens.
She may have started having them before you bought her too. I've seen them giving birth when someone at the store is chasing them around with a net to bag up for someone. I've had them give birth in the bag on the way home.

Does the breeder net you have seperate the babies from the mom? If not, she may have them and eat them while you are not looking.

iDOWN

New Fish
May 17, 2010
Louisiana
No, but I read that the mother doesn't eat her babies right away (12 hours ish) do to hormones. So, if I notice she has fry I'll probably leave her there for only a couple more hours just in case anymore pop out, then remove her from the net.