New 45g Tank - Need Help!

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
Hey everyone,

About a month ago I got my hands on a 45g tank and stand from a local U-haul facility. The previous owners were just leaving it by the dumpster and I couldn't have any of that so I loaded the tank and stand up and took it home.

After extensive cleaning and a leak check I have set the tank up next to my front door (good Feng-Shui) and have prepared and stocked it.

The fish currently in the tank are...
5 Tiger Barbs (small breed)
5 Red-eye Tetras
5 Zebra Danios (small)
1 Common Pleco

The tank had no top or filter/light so I went to the local Pet store and purchased the Penguin 200 bio-wheel filter system (box said it was rated for a 50g) and a High Output light (name escapes me) used mainly for saltwater tanks. I also have a bubble stone set up to oxygenate the water.

The tank has all fake plants in plentiful abundance so the fish have places to hide if they get stressed/spooked.
They seem happy at the moment and fatalities are always during the first night - probably caused by the initial shock (but Im a newbie so I cant really say). I've observed no hostile aggression from any of the fish in the tank and they all appear to get along very well. I have checked their fins and I see NO missing chunks from ANY of them. I also feed them regularly (though not excessively) with the hopes of reducing their urge to nip at one another.

I've tested the water with those test strips you can buy anywhere and from what they tell me everything is good except for the water hardness/pH. Water is hard here in Texas so if I do try to balance the pH in the tank it will be a gradual process. Ive been told fish raised/sold in Texas get acclimated to the hard water and slightly high pH so neutralizing it too quickly may have consequences. Once again I'm not sure about anything that I've been told as I am a total newb. I test the water once a week just to keep myself informed as to the levels of nitrite/nitrate, ammonia and etc... but I've heard the strips aren't always accurate.

I plan on making the tank a community tank with many different (compatible) species of communal fish.

My questions are...

1. How many fish would be a safe amount to keep in the tank? I hear you should have 1 gallon of water for every 1 inch of fish...but I have no idea.

2. How regularly should I change the water and what is the best way of going about it? (the water level drops about 2cm every other day or so and I do put fresh water in the tank to keep it at a decent level)

3. What are some methods of keeping the tank clean and the water in safe conditions for my fish? I want them to live healthy, happy lives in my tank and I want to care for them as best as I can.

4. Do you have any suggestions for hardy, non-aggressive, communal fish for my tank? I'm thinking about more Danios of varying color and Neon/Black Neon Tetras to spice things up along with a crab or maybe some ghost shrimp...

Any help/tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of the tank/fish to come.

~Thx
Nick.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
First off, you will need a liquid test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. You have not cycled your tank. You can read up on cycling and do a fish-in cycle, which can be very harmful to the fish. You can also return all your fish to the store and do a safe, fishless cycle.

1. That is a good rule of thumb for slim-bodied fish, but it doesn't apply to larger fish. Check aqadvisor.com for helpful suggestions.

2. It depends. You are cycling your tank, so you will need to change the water nearly every day until the tank cycles. After good bacteria is established, and your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and between 0 and 20 ppm nitrate, you will only need to change the water weekly or biweekly. Again, testing the water helps you to know when you need to complete a water change.

3. Cycle the tank. Do not add any pH chemicals to the water. Always use water dechlorinator before adding the water to the tank when doing a water change. Do not overstock your tank (add too many fish) and your water will be fine. Perform regular water changes. Test the water before each water change. Clean your filter intake, but never the filter bio-fiber (scratchy pad, usually black or white). You can rinse or swish the changeable filter pad in dechlorinated water. You only need to replace the changeable filter pad when it is falling apart. My last filter pad was in my filter for 8 months. When changing filter pads, place them back to back for a few days, if the filter space allows.

4. Check aqadvisor.com/
With the pleco in there, you look fairly stocked. Do not add any more fish until you cycle the tank.

Good luck! Fish keeping is rough at first, but I'm sure you'll catch on to it!

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
How logn is the tank, is it a 3ft or 4 ft tank?

The gallon per inch rule is a guideline, but other factors are just as important. Surface area and bottom area will help you in deciding what type and how many fish of each type because different types of fish occupy different layers of the aquarium.

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
The tank dimensions are 48" x 12 3/4" x 19".

I used aquasafe water conditioner weeks before I put any fish in and always with any new water.

Thx for the tips. Keep em coming. *thumbsup2
~Nick.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
The tank dimensions are 48" x 12 3/4" x 19".

I used aquasafe water conditioner weeks before I put any fish in and always with any new water.

Thx for the tips. Keep em coming. *thumbsup2
~Nick.
Same dimensions as a 55g, but 2 inches shorter. Stands, filters, lights and canopies made for a 55g should work with that tank. Very nice footprint. Lighting will be more effective than on a 55g. The 4ft tank will open a lot more opportunities for fish variety.

When you are done with the aquasafe, get a bottle of prime, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
Same dimensions as a 55g, but 2 inches shorter. Stands, filters, lights and canopies made for a 55g should work with that tank. Very nice footprint. Lighting will be more effective than on a 55g. The 4ft tank will open a lot more opportunities for fish variety.

When you are done with the aquasafe, get a bottle of prime, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Yea I originally thought it was a 55g until I put the dimensions into a search engine and found a chart that helped me identify it as a 45g.

I have a new question about some small white strands of unknown gunk that has begun forming in the tank. I first noticed them on the fake plants, and it looks like little white fuzz. I took all the plants out and rinsed them thoroughly and noticed my filter needed changing. What bugs me is that I put a brand new filter in less than a week ago and I already had to replace it... any thoughts?

EDIT: Looks like the gravel needs cleaning also. I hear those Fluval gravel cleaners work well. What do you think?

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
The filter does not have to be changed when you clean it. Take a gallon or so of water from the tank and swish the filter media in it. Do not use tap water. The filter will turn a greyish brownish color which is good, that mans it is doing it's job.

You can buy a gravel vac, any brand will work, just get one sized correctly for your tank.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
How long did you let it run before you added fish? Did you add in all the fish at once or a few at a time. Ammonia is toxic to fish and even small amounts can shorten their lifespan. Do you have a test kit for ammonia?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Sorry to burst your proverbial bubble, but your common pleco is going to get WAY too big for your tank. Some people recommend a 55gal minimum for commons, but they get to be 2ft long (24"). In a tank smaller than 100gal, they don't have room to turn around in the tank without folding themselves in half (which is nearly impossible). I would recommend returning the common pleco and getting one of the smaller varieties, like a bristlenose. Also, plecos (regardless of what species) are HUGE waste producers. The white stuff you found could be pleco poo. I know that sounds nasty, but I had a 6" Trinidad pleco in my old 18gal Eclipse 1 tank (was misinformed by the LFS that Trinidads only get to be about 5"...yeah, try 18"!) and I finally took it back to the store I got it from because it completely fouled my filter with its poo. It was long, stringy white poo, just like what you described.

Also, what do you mean by "small breed" on the tiger barbs? There's no such thing as a "small breed" tiger barb. All tiger barbs generally reach about 2-3" in length. It's just the size they start out at when you buy them that differs (I know Petsmart carries two different sizes...medium and large). Fortunately, in a 45gal, you have plenty of space for them, so no worries. Other than trading in the common pleco for a smaller variety, I say you're pretty well stocked. You can play around with AqAdvisor.com to see what it has to say about your stocking level. Also, keep in mind that danios are temperate (or "coldwater") fish while the others you have are tropicals and require a higher temperature than the danios do. I have leopard danios in my 46gal bowfront coldwater tank with no heater and they are happy as clams (temp hovers between 72-74F). Tropicals prefer temps in the high 70s to low 80s.

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I pretty much just let the filter run. :x
I did treat the water before fish were introduced but that's about it.
This is the first problem. Nick, your tank water isn't cycled, meaning the bacteria that is needed (that which will consume the toxic ammonia produced by your fish's poop and turn it into still-toxic nitrite, and the bacteria that will consume the nitrite and turn it into less-toxic nitrate) isn't established.
Lots of first-time fishkeepers make this mistake. But the situation needs to be addressed, or you will have lots of dead fish.
You need to either A) return all your fish and do a fishless cycle, which we can tell you about or B) buy liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels so that you can do a fish-in cycle, which will mean daily water changes to prevent the building ammonia from killing your fish before the beneficial bacteria can be established (and we can also tell you about this method). Also, if you choose option B, it will be easier if you take some fish back to the store while you are completing the cycle.
And finally, welcome to the hobby, and weclome to this forum! We want your tank to be healthy and happy, even if we're not telling you the stuff that maybe you had hoped to hear.
Cheers,
Laura

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
First off, Id like to thank everyone for their input. Ive heard quite a bit that has got me taking some different measures to ensure my fish are healthy, happy, and safe.

So far I'm not worried about the common pleco in my tank as he is only 3" long. He cant be putting THAT much waste into my tank as to cause any health issues so Im going to let him do his thing since he hasn't been in there more than a week.

Ive added my fish one type at a time starting with the tiger barbs and followed by the red eyed tetras...then the danios...then the pleco. All of the fish seem happy and healthy so when I do my water change/gravel cleaning I plan on keeping them all in the same tank.

I have tested the water with QuickDip 5-in-1 Test kits (found at wal-mart...)
and a QuickDip Ammonia Test Kit (Both test kits manufactured by Jungle Laboratories Corporation).
If the liquid test kits are better for water testing then I have no problem switching over from the Jungle brand. I only use the test kits I have now because I am a newb and these are what was readily available to me when I needed them.

~Thx a lot and please keep the tips/pointers coming...
Nick.

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
Sorry to burst your proverbial bubble, but your common pleco is going to get WAY too big for your tank. Some people recommend a 55gal minimum for commons, but they get to be 2ft long (24"). In a tank smaller than 100gal, they don't have room to turn around in the tank without folding themselves in half (which is nearly impossible). I would recommend returning the common pleco and getting one of the smaller varieties, like a bristlenose. Also, plecos (regardless of what species) are HUGE waste producers. The white stuff you found could be pleco poo. I know that sounds nasty, but I had a 6" Trinidad pleco in my old 18gal Eclipse 1 tank (was misinformed by the LFS that Trinidads only get to be about 5"...yeah, try 18"!) and I finally took it back to the store I got it from because it completely fouled my filter with its poo. It was long, stringy white poo, just like what you described.

Also, what do you mean by "small breed" on the tiger barbs? There's no such thing as a "small breed" tiger barb. All tiger barbs generally reach about 2-3" in length. It's just the size they start out at when you buy them that differs (I know Petsmart carries two different sizes...medium and large). Fortunately, in a 45gal, you have plenty of space for them, so no worries. Other than trading in the common pleco for a smaller variety, I say you're pretty well stocked. You can play around with AqAdvisor.com to see what it has to say about your stocking level. Also, keep in mind that danios are temperate (or "coldwater") fish while the others you have are tropicals and require a higher temperature than the danios do. I have leopard danios in my 46gal bowfront coldwater tank with no heater and they are happy as clams (temp hovers between 72-74F). Tropicals prefer temps in the high 70s to low 80s.
My tanks water temp stays between 70 and 75 degrees F.
I noticed the Danios do prefer to stay near the top of the water whilst the other breeds of fish do what they want anywhere in the tank. My Tiger Barbs are all currently 1" in length. They are smaller than the ones I've seen elsewhere, which are around 2-3" long. You're probably right about the pleco, because I have seen some huge plecos in tanks that are way to small for them, and I don't want this to happen in my tank. Right now however I will let it remain. I believe what I'm seeing in the tank is the after effects of too much aquasafe. A newbish mistake made by a newb.

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
This is the first problem. Nick, your tank water isn't cycled, meaning the bacteria that is needed (that which will consume the toxic ammonia produced by your fish's poop and turn it into still-toxic nitrite, and the bacteria that will consume the nitrite and turn it into less-toxic nitrate) isn't established.
Lots of first-time fishkeepers make this mistake. But the situation needs to be addressed, or you will have lots of dead fish.
You need to either A) return all your fish and do a fishless cycle, which we can tell you about or B) buy liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels so that you can do a fish-in cycle, which will mean daily water changes to prevent the building ammonia from killing your fish before the beneficial bacteria can be established (and we can also tell you about this method). Also, if you choose option B, it will be easier if you take some fish back to the store while you are completing the cycle.
And finally, welcome to the hobby, and weclome to this forum! We want your tank to be healthy and happy, even if we're not telling you the stuff that maybe you had hoped to hear.
Cheers,
Laura
Thx for the info, Laura.
I have 2 ten gallon tanks I could relocate the fish into whilst I get the water cycle going. Currently one is inhabited by my Chilean Rose Hair tarantula, but she can be moved. :)
Would that be an acceptable place to keep my fish as I get my tank in working order?

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Thx for the info, Laura.
I have 2 ten gallon tanks I could relocate the fish into whilst I get the water cycle going. Currently one is inhabited by my Chilean Rose Hair tarantula, but she can be moved. :)
Would that be an acceptable place to keep my fish as I get my tank in working order?
Leave the fish in the 45, keep up the water changes and go light on the feeding. If you can find a plant called Water Sprite or Wisteria, get it and put it in the tank, it will use up ammonia.

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Water Sprite Aquarium Plant
Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis