A few beginning questions

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
There is a thread in this forum on the Tetra Safe Start that you should be able to find with a search.

Feb 27, 2009
I don't know about other products, but the 'binding ability' of Seachem's Prime does not stop or harm the beneficial bacteria in the tank, whether there 'naturally' or put there by the 'bacteria in a bottle' products. The ammonia is still there and able to be consumed by the bacteria in the non-toxic form.

If someone from Tetra did say...:

"In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the food the bacteria require to live."

...I would love to see the research on that. Since the ammonia is not 'removed' it is still able to be consumed. Some products adsorb ammonia, which IS removing ammonia from the water column, but a good dechlor does not.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't know about other products, but the 'binding ability' of Seachem's Prime does not stop or harm the beneficial bacteria in the tank, whether there 'naturally' or put there by the 'bacteria in a bottle' products. The ammonia is still there and able to be consumed by the bacteria in the non-toxic form.

If someone from Tetra did say...:

"In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the food the bacteria require to live."

...I would love to see the research on that. Since the ammonia is not 'removed' it is still able to be consumed. Some products adsorb ammonia, which IS removing ammonia from the water column, but a good dechlor does not.
Thanks for pulling up the quote for me.

You can bond ammonia to other chemicals making them inert and therefore unusable. If you can put something in the water that prevents the ammonia to nitrite chemical reaction from taking place you effectively neutralize the ammonia. I'm not a chemist or anything, but that's what I took out of it. Do you have a different take on it?

Seachem's Prime may completely work with Tetra Safe Start.
Edit: A little googling tells me that Prime wouldn't work with Bio-Spira, due to a chemical conflict (not ammonia locking), but works perfectly with TSS.

Last edited:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Just be sure to make sure the seal is tight when you put in the battery....

....random thought...

If you didn't seal it right and a small electric charge was coming off the battery would it get attacked by a knife or elephant fish?

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
The bacteria that eat ammonia and convert it to nitrites is able to heat ammonia and convert it to nitrites. That's why binding ammonia into ammonium doesn't interfere with the cycle.

Kruse

Medium Fish
Sep 23, 2010
Minnesota
So I recently (yesterday) got the water going in my tank and I'm seeing some cloudiness. Everything was pretty thoroughly rinsed. The only thing in there right now is the gravel and a few rock decorations.

It seems to be kind of a "white" cloudiness, and info around the net seems to indicate that is a bacterial bloom. But how could that happen in a completely new tank?

I haven't started the initial cycle process yet, should I despite the cloudiness? Or, would it be better to change out the water?