stocking a 90 gallon tank!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!!

Feb 16, 2011
it will be planted with jva fern and moss, dwarf and congo anubias and villas

will have black sand substrate and between 1WPG and 2WPG of flourescent lighting
heres what i had in mind..

1 x Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
11 x Three Lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
1 x Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leerii)
10 x Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
10x Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
10 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
10 x Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)
2 x Keyhole Cichlid (Cleithracara maronii)
7 x Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)

is this overstocked?understocked?justright?compatible?

will have 2 aqua clear 110 filters
thanks for all your suggestions..

will have many hiding places and driftwood for the pleco
PLEASE reply!!!!
remember...
Uncle Sam wants YOU to reply to this post with your ideas!!!
:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
WOW I want to play.

First only run one AC 110. they run 550 gph thats more then the 450gph your tank is going to need. GREAT call on the filter, if you bought them new i would return one and buy 2 AC powerheads the 30's or 1AC head a 50. Set them on top of a sponge filter. You will thank me later. :)

Seems like you have access to some nice fish, have you thought about doing a nicer pleco? The BN are pretty sweet, a tank that size could easily house several plecos.

Check out the gold nugget, the green phantom, the blue phantom, the magnum, and the leopard frog. (my faves)

So ran you through Aqua Adviser (with only 1 filter), says you are at 118% that seems about right (the site seems conservative to me) also says you are under filtered, I run the 110 on my 70G and have no isses at all, I keep it on the lowest setting too.... So, turned on high Im 100% sure it could easily handle 90G, with the head on a sponge you would be perfect accoding to the site.

It pointed out that the key holes are going to get aggressive when they breed.... It's probably right... I would guess they will act like breeding angles although personally I have never kept them.

Your stocking is dead on, I like it should look really pretty. I would again advise a cooler pleco (just cuz im MAD about plecos) and replacing one of the aquaclears with the aquaclear power heads just to provide a different current type while keeping everything moving.

HAVE FUN!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
# Warning: When Keyhole Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Lemon Tetra.
# Warning: When Keyhole Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Flame Tetra.
# Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
# Warning: When Keyhole Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
# Warning: When Keyhole Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Rummynose Tetra.

Recommended temperature range: 25 - 25 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 6.4 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.
Your aquarium stocking level is 118%

I think parameters will be fine assuming he keeps everything moderate.

Feb 16, 2011
I might suggest varying the corries, so they are not all the same, or substituting pictus catfish (like 5 and 5) (they are super silly you will like them)
maybe 5 three lined and 6 peppered cories?

sorry i would rather not have the pictus cats
keyholes cichlids will be same sex..
thanks for replying so fast!!!!*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
With a 90 gallon and doing mostly small fish, you can litterally go batty with all your options.

Two different cory schools (they will probably split up according to type fo cory) would be neat. However, I'd get a medium sized pleco (NOT A COMMON). A Bristlenose would get totally lost in a 90 gallon.

Pearl Gourami - A very similar option would be a snakeskin gourami, which gets a little bigger, but has sort of a zig-zag pattern instead of the pearly bubbles. With the pearls or snakeskins you can have multiple without any problems as well. Just tossing out an option.

I envy your tank size. ;)

Feb 16, 2011
thanks for replying!!!

*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGSi will probally add a gold nugget pleco and take out the BN

i would add 2 snakeskin gouramis and 1 more pearl gourami (and 3 more cories)so it would look like this...

14 x Cory's (Corydoras trilineatus)three lined and peppered
2 x Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leerii)*BOUNCINGS
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
7 x Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
2 snakeskin gouramis

also...
nanu, how do you setup a sponge filter?where do you put the powerheads?

Last edited:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
So you buy a sponge filter they look like this
sponge filter.jpg

Then you buy 2 heads they look like this power head.jpg

Then you set the sucky part of the heads on the nozzlely part of the sponge filter and camo it in.

I would suggest aginst the keyhole cichlids. I like you stocking plan other then that.

The nugget is going to run you 60-100 dollars as an FYI but it is a centerpiece fish. Read the caring for fancy plecos thread in the bottom feeder section or PM me if you have questions. I love my nugget he is my favorite fish. :) Her name is Goldie lol I will allow you to also use said name ;)

BTW buy a cheap sponge filter and a nice powerhead (aquaclear only)

I like mine in the back corner, you can turn the nozzles to point the water flow in any direction you like (I point mine to the front and center on a 45 angle) I have stuff kinda hiding mine

This really helps keep the water moving and it improves o2 as it blows tiny bubbles out into the tank

Alternate idea is to put in an undergravel plate and put the powerheads on the posts in the corners. google undergravel with powerheads to see the setup but it isn't rocket science. :)

Feb 16, 2011
So you buy a sponge filter they look like this
View attachment 10200

Then you buy 2 heads they look like this View attachment 10199

Then you set the sucky part of the heads on the nozzlely part of the sponge filter and camo it in.

I would suggest aginst the keyhole cichlids. I like you stocking plan other then that.

The nugget is going to run you 60-100 dollars as an FYI but it is a centerpiece fish. Read the caring for fancy plecos thread in the bottom feeder section or PM me if you have questions. I love my nugget he is my favorite fish. :) Her name is Goldie lol I will allow you to also use said name ;)

BTW buy a cheap sponge filter and a nice powerhead (aquaclear only)

I like mine in the back corner, you can turn the nozzles to point the water flow in any direction you like (I point mine to the front and center on a 45 angle) I have stuff kinda hiding mine

This really helps keep the water moving and it improves o2 as it blows tiny bubbles out into the tank

Alternate idea is to put in an undergravel plate and put the powerheads on the posts in the corners. google undergravel with powerheads to see the setup but it isn't rocket science. :)
is there any other larger pleco that wont cost that much?
also why not keyole's?i thought they were peaceful
i think ill go like this...
14 x Three Lined/peppered (Corydoras trilineatus)is this good?
1 x larger pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
10 x Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
is this good?
total-69 fishes

what would be a basic waterchange schedule if i did this?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2011
it also might be possible for me to get a 105/110 gallon tank..depending on avaidibillity and cost
i was thinking the same except more like this..
14 x Three Lined/peppered (Corydoras trilineatus)
2x larger pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
15-20 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)

would this work out?*laughingc*laughingc*laughingc*laughingc*laughingc

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Adonis Pleco L155 - Should be okay in a 90 gallon.
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

Blue Phantom L128 - Should be just perfect for a 90 gallon.

Both are about 40 bucks plus S&H. Those are the cheaper mid sized plecos.
Alternatively, you could go with a group of smaller plecos, like albino BN's or something. There was a sale of five blue eyed long fin albino bristlenose plecos for under 40 plus S&H.

Feb 16, 2011
turns out im only getting a 90:mad::mad:
but it will probally end up like this..

16 x Three Lined/peppered Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
5 x albino BN plecos (Ancistrus sp.)
total 75 fish
this is good right?
tell me if it will look ok...
with black sand substrate and planted

Feb 16, 2011
Remember that plecos like logs. I mean, they like them a lot. Like, nearly can't live without them, like.
dont worry ill have plenty of driftwood,bogwood and rock caves the swim in!!!
i might setup my 15 gallon for a breeding tank if fish start to breed in the 90
galllon,dont plan on breeding them though.
is this perfect for a 90 gallon?i think it will be perfect just as long as the fish are happy!!!!*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups

Feb 16, 2011
would it possible to add a group of about 25 cherry shrimp?will the other fish eat them?
i will have ALOT of hiding places for them if i can..
also i would let them breed on there own so thier would be a countinous supply..
i think same with the other fish..if they breed i will just let the fry survive on thier own as i dont want to be overrun with fry..

so how do you think the tank would look like if the stocking was my last post...?*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups*thumbsups

Oct 29, 2010
Sounds great! Cherries would be awesome :D

As long as you have plenty of live plants, that is. Live plants will also help the fry live and maintain a sustainable population :)

Cool ideas and tank! It sounds awesome, you should post some pics once it is set up!

Feb 16, 2011
dont worry i will!!!!
are you sure the shrimp wont get eaten?
i asked another forum and they recommened taking out the angel and adding a pack of kuhli loaches?is this right?they said the angels would eat the smaller tetras?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D*thumbsups

thanks for all the quick replys!!!!