Started my fishless cycle..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I got my tank up and running about 2pm yesterday afternoon. I did nothing but add Prime to de-chlorinate at the time, set the heater at ~80degF and let it roll with heat, HOB filtration and air stone airation.

At about 10pm, I measured the pH just for grins, which was ~7.6. I then added 5ml of my Dollar Store Austin's brand ammonia and let the tank run overnight.

This AM, the ammonia tested at 1.5-2.0ppm, so I added another 5ml test-tube full.

Tank is a 29gal.

This is the test kit I mail-ordered for ~$20:

http://www.petmountain.com/photos/p...ater-test-kits/freshwater-master-test-kit.jpg

Now it's the test and wait game? *BOUNCINGS

Attachments

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Another reason to do a heavily planted tank. I can stock one completely full on day 1 with fish!
I hear ya OC.

I figured since I never really did a planted tank, I'd start with the finned critters first. Well.. that and I've got an el'Cheapo LED tank hood. It's very bright/vivid to the eye (looks AWESOME), but I have no idea how it would do with plants. Little/no natural light to tank either.

Joel

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I might be able to speed things along a little bit!

A got ahold of a buddy last night who I know used to be into fresh water tanks, to see if he's still into it. Still into it??! He's got 10, 30 and 125gal tanks currently setup at his house!! I'm going to try to get some media from him...

Joel

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Tank cycle refers to the start up process of a brand new fish tank. Mini cycle is a situation where some of the nitrifying bact. dies for whatever reason and your amm/nit levels spike for a bit until the bacteria catches up again.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
GG, I just keep picturing a Harley Davidson, next to a minibike. LOL! *laughingc

Joel
Sorry, I have no idea what those are... Some sort of motorbikes? :p

Tank cycle refers to the start up process of a brand new fish tank. Mini cycle is a situation where some of the nitrifying bact. dies for whatever reason and your amm/nit levels spike for a bit until the bacteria catches up again.
OK, thanks! That makes sense, now.