29 Gal Build Log : My First SW Tank

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Getting Started !!! UPDATE !!!

Well Sunday night i placed my basic to buy list from Premiumaquatics . I Should be getting my Aquaclear 110 any day now , but i still bought a cheap backup powerhead just incase . Heres my list .

( I bought some Uncured Live Rock too . A 9 pound Premium figi rock , To get my tank cycling . Was this a good idea? i still have to mix the water when it gets here before i can put the rock in . )

AIO-ETP100 Visi Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heater - 100 Watt $16.95

ESU-AF877 Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer $7.49

ESU-00232 Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermomter $5.75

SALT-50 Instant Ocean - 50 gallon Salt Mix $11.95

L-FIJI-UNCURED Premium Fiji UN-Cured Live Rock 9 pounds @ $3.99 $35.91

RIO-200 RIO200 - 138gph Powerhead/Pump - UL $6.99 ( backup Pump Iam still going buy a maxi-jet 1200 and have my aquaclear 110 Refuge)

Can't wait to get it , I live only 430 Miles from Premium Aqautic so i might get it tommrow or wensday .ups ground , And i will compare it to my local figi and see which i will buy more of , both about the same price .

In one week i will buy a Master test kit , Mag-float , Maxi-jet 1200 , and a galaxy Refuge Light , and Live sand and Refuge Pack .

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
sounds good only thing is it would have been better if u got cured rock but its no biggie your cycle will just last a bit longer... on the rio just beware They're notorious for burning up and heating your tank water

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i have about 140 lbs in my 125g and i still dont think its enough... a dsb is defintly benificial and especially if you dont have a sump/fuge id recomend one....if you have a fuge you could always just go with a dsb in there instead

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
ok only gona get 30 pounds of sand . heres my last To Buy List: . I will buy a PC light after the cycle .

Mag-Float Small $7.99

Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater $17.99

Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 1200 (295 gph) $17.19

Small Aquarium Lights Galaxy Light II 13w $14.99 ( for Aquaclear 110 Fuge )

Any thing wlse you would recomend ?

Also i have a question ?

I will get my shippment of IO salt mix and live rock wensday . How long should i mix the mix for ? I will use local ro/di at the supermarket .

How should i mix it ? In the empty aquarium ? how much should i do at a time ?

Thanks sorry for all the questions . Just getting exicted !

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think you're about there with equipment, assuming the things you listed above have arrived or are on the way.

For the salt, one thing you have to know is never add salt directly to the tank with live creatures in it. It is caustic and can kill life. This kind of includes live rock. You should get a bucket for your tank and use it to mix the saltwater. Most people put a small powerhead in the bucket to help mix the salt. You should mix it for an absolute minimum of an hour, four hours is safer, 24 hours is best.

You could mix it in the tank the first time, before you put the live rock in. Go for mixing for an hour or two. Try to get it mixed well.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I think a local Salt aqautic shop sells pre mixed saltwater maybe i will just buy a 5 gallon bucket , 5 gallons of the pre mixed SW . and stick the power head in the bucket with the live rock . . and then mix up my salt mix for 24 hours . that should work . aww..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sounds like a good plan. You might also want to plan some extra saltwater for rinsing off the live rock. It's a good idea to at least give it a dunk/swish in saltwater before you put it in the tank. Some people scrub it, or remove anything that's clearly dead/rotting.

You won't need the full 29g for the tank, due to displacement.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
ok i will buy 3 gallon bucket and local premixed SW . to use for temp place for my live rock while I mix up 25 gallons in my tank over nite . and use the 3 gallons for cleaning and or topping off the tank . ( before i clean the rock in the SW ofcourse ) .

Last edited:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I have access to shop air . i will get my live rock at work since i will be there when the ups comes by , ( the same guy that does my route ) and drop it off. could i use the air to blast of the dead stuff ?or will there be little dieoff where i would just need to pick off ? I was gona blast all my dead rock anyways too with the 120 psi air . :p

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Ok a Recap on my equipment list and what i Purchased:

Visi Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heater - 100 Watt
Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer
Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermomter
Aquaclear 110 HOB Power Filter ( gona turn into a refuge )
RIO 200 Powerhead
Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead
Mag-Float Small
Galaxy Light II 13 Watt PC Clip on Light ( For refuge )

Master test kit ? Which is better ?

API Saltwater master kit ?

-or-

SeaChem Basic saltwater Kit ?

Another questions . Sorry

do i need a protien skimmer ?

could i get a decent HOB one ? How much ?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I'm with Tre, having used 3 different Aqua Remora Skimmers and really like them as they are virtually plug and go, easy to adjust and put out incredible amounts of nasty gunk....

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
I use the exact same one as TRe, suggested, and though I am still a SW newb, I have to say I'm very pleased with the performance of it (Based on my limited SW experience :p ). It is a bit pricey, but from what I've seen, it's actually quite a bargain for as well as it performs.