33gal Discus Tank Set-Up

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I like that idea with more driftwood..I would like to see some rocks in there, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the water quality for the discus (keeping in mind that they are sensitive to such things)..I think I would definitely like to see plants in there, even if it was just one twig!! ;)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Yeah I'd like to do some large sword plants or something...I just dont want to get lots of algae in the tank :eek:

What would be a good number of plants in the tank to prevent algae...hmm??

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Begging to differ, there are at least some plants.;)

Tropical Fish Centre - Discus
HABITAT :
Discus are most commonly found in dense planting and wooded areas in slow moving rivers and backwaters in the Amazon river system.
Cichlids - Discus, Waroo
HAB: Discus are found in calm parts of small, blackwater rivers, lakes, and deep pools. They are usually found in small groups around submerged, fallen trees; decaying wood and vegetation; and aquatic grasses.
FishInThe.net :: Fish Info
Discus are native to the Amazon River and its tributaries. They can be also be found in creeks, feeder streams and isolated pools. In their native habitats discus can be found living among fallen trees and roots along the shoreline with some sparse vegetation.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Ditto Cman, most of the "real" amazon doesn't have much aquatic plants growing in it due t the tannins in the water. Sun just doesn't penetrate deep in those waters. Sure in the tributaries you will find them abound, but in the river itself you are mostly going to find sand, wood, and rocks. Vegetation tends to grow more as a floating island rather than the rooted type we think of in our tanks.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
for about 2 weeks or so until it says the tank is cycled. but right now you can probably add a new one in there just so your tank doesnt go through a mini-cycle adding a new one :)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Well...
Im not sure if I want discus anymore, because well honestly, they are so freaking expensive, if one dies Im screwed.
SOOO I'm considering other SA cichlids ATM (still thinking about discus tho) So if anyone can convince me to do discus then please do lol ;) Also, and suggestions for SA cichlids?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie...you're killing me here! Go for the discus!

Seriously...think of it this way...
If you don't get them for this current setup, you'll always be second-guessing your decision in the back of your mind and regretting passing up on them. Right?

Worried about them dying on you?
It's a possibility. But that's why you're doing your homework on them now, rather than after you get them!

Go for it---if that's really what you want, of course. ;)

Big Vine

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL sorry BigV, ahh...now i REALLY dont know what to you :p
Your NOT Helping!! LOL
You did make a good point tho, I will get discus ONE day, I just dont think that right now is the time...In the future definatly tho...
Im starting to think about Severums, not only do they look like discus, they are hella cheaper...hmm

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Hehe...that's where my mindset is at too---I'll get discus someday, but not just yet. LOL

Katie217 said:
Im starting to think about Severums, not only do they look like discus, they are hella cheaper...hmm
I'm sure FishGeek will help encourage you in that direction as well. ;)
I'd provide some suggestions, but I'm really not very knowledgeable when it comes to SA cichlids...or most other cichlids, for that matter.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on!

Big Vine

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
ive actually heard of people keeping severums with discus...but i dont know how well it played out

and theres a gold severum about 5" long for 60$ at my lfs. so you could grow em up and try and sell 'em :)

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
Katie , you finally got your tank huh? and now i see your changing your mind about Discus :confused: :eek:

Yes they can be expensive, but soooo beautiful. many Lfs sell the younger fish for around 15-20 dollars...thats not so bad..Id get one or two and see how it goes.maybe you'd get lucky with a pair, and have your own later. I personally like planted tanks....With proper lighting and nutrients for your plants, you shouldnt have any problems with algae.

I say ....

GO DISCUS GO DISCUS GO DISCUS :D :D :D *thumbsups

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL
At your LFS they are 15-20...At mine... cheapest one was 41.99 :eek:
Ugh...I dunno yet...But Im leaning towards Sevs for sure...The tank will prob end up Sevs actually...ah well. One day...Ill get discus ;)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
thats sad...it woul dbe nice to have a few more discus people here.
and ya the cheapest discus at mine is 59.99 for a dark colored patched thing that looks like a mutated green circle...and hes like 2.5"

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Sevs are hard on plants, so forget that. I used to have a tank very similar to that in which I kept single 'rogue' discus who had killed quite a lot of other discus, and I kept him with some tetras, apistos and small L number plecs. That worked very well.
I would be wary of adding CO2 to a discus tank, purely as the combo of CO2 and temps above 30C can really lower oxygen levels to dangerous levels if yo don't watch it.

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
Katie you hear that? DISCUS DISCUS DISCUS *SUNSMILE*

Well if you do choose Severums, they are beautiful fish also,and do resemble discus. I think you can even train them to eat from your fingers :) I might get one for myself :D that would mean, another tank..uh oh.. MTS ..*BOUNCINGS