33gal Discus Tank Set-Up

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Eh, maybe she's afraid she'll kill the discus. ;) I know that's the reason I WON'T get discus. Expensive but precious! Sevs are hardier.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Katie, you don't have room for Sevs in your 33 gal. Looking at my big guys I would say a 55 would be minimum for them.

IMO sevs don't look anything like discus. They are completely different animals.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL BIGV
I just dont reallllly want the commitment of them right now, like uggh so many water changes, so little time!! :p
Think I might do SA cichlids............or CA..........idk yet :confused:

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If it's a matter of the discus requiring 'too much' maintenance, keep in mind that there are folks on the forum who have kept them and consistently done one weekly water-change...
...I seem to remember Cichlid-Man mentioning this recently---I believe it was in Mushroomman's discus thread.

I have also had repeated dealings with an LFS employee who has kept his own discus without using any RO water whatsoever. He simply acclimated them to the Omaha tapwater (7.2-7.4 pH...considered high for discus) and they've done fine. (and no, he wasn't trying to sell me any at the time---he even recommended going to a different LFS for certain other fish, lol)

The 'high maintenance' may be accurate when it comes to wild discus, but it is my understanding that the majority of captive-bred discus can be acclimated quite well in waters considered 'less than ideal' for their species. Plus, it's not like you'd be breeding them...would you? lol

But, if you just feel like something else instead, then do whatever your gut tells you to do. Only you know best what type of setup you really want.

I'll quit pestering you since it sounds like you'd rather just do something other than discus, even though that 'something' might require the same amount of maintenance. ;)

Now that doesn't mean that I won't be keeping an eye on this thread. :rolleyes:

BV :)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Yeah the problem is more or less the money issue and just general upkeep, also being able to find good quality stock in this area is almost impossible. I did find a breeder but have been unable to contact her...hmm

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
personally i do a 20% wc once a week or twice if i have time with my discus. i got mine at a fish auction for 17$ a piece.
i do not use RO water and i am slowly getting them acclimated to my tap water.
and the tank raised really can acclimate to high phs, i know a woman kept hers for 10 years+ at a pH of 8 :)

id say go with discus because once you have them...youll become addicted to them :) thier like cats...they come to you for food and pout when you ignore them