37gal Cube Thread

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well the conversion is almost complete. I've (so far) sucessfully moved everything from my 10gal nano into a 37gal cube (tank dimensions are 24x20x18).

Here are a few pics:

Full tank shot. It's not full all the way because I left room for when I added the sand and rocks. I have some SW aging right now and it will be added tomorrow. The HOB I just stuck on there to help filter some of the floating debris from the sand. Now that the water is clear I removed the filter cartridge and just have it there for water movement. The AC powerheads are temporary until I order my Seio. I know it's not a good idea to have that sponge on there, but I'll just change it often for now. I have had BAD experiences with healthy fish getting stuck to the bottom of these in the past and would rather risk the sponge then my fish getting stuck.

Green Star Polyp

Sun Coral

I also plan on getting the Aqua C Remora skimmer in a month or so. My clown seems SO happy! He's swimming all over the place and zooming through the water flow *thumbsups. I plan to let it sit for a while before I add anything else. I'm happy with 1 fish, I just got tired of maintenance in close quarters and temp fluctuations in the 10gal.

What do you think??

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thanks!! No clams for now. I took the light off my 10 gal since it fit so nicely - it's the 96watt coralife fixture. Down the road though, I will definitly do a lighting upgrade. Probably when I decide to move the whole thing over to my 46BF...lol. Or if I kept everything in here, I'd get a halide fixture.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
nice looking tank, and the upgrade look like it went without a hitch. I like the dual aquaclear 50s works well and symetrical.

Corals all look like there doing great, awsome work

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
fish outa wata said:
I meant to ask what's the green flowing thing in the bottom left corner?
LOL..that's just algea. I let it grow there for the hermits and emerald to eat, plus I think it looks kind of cool :eek:

I actually found the tank at my LFS for about $70 with the glass top and light fixture...and they threw in a swing arm hydrometer. I've had it for a while...it was what my Figure 8 puffers were in.

OCC..yeah I don't mind the look of the AC's...but like I said I am worried about the fish getting stuck. I've lost a Figure 8 and almost lost my green spotted puffer and various other fish - all otherwise healthy - to the bottom of this powerhead. It has quite a bit of suction.

Kevin, yes I feed the sun coral just about everyday, sometimes skip a day. They require frequent feedings. If you feed it around the same time everyday, it will start to open at that time..ready to eat :) Mine typically opens around 7pm and stays open all night. I usually feed it mysis.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!! During the move I discovered several baby brittle starfish, a mass of spagetti worms (ew), and a largish grey worm that I am not sure if it's a tentacle or an actual worm because it retreats into the rock. It's bristly but looks like it would be 'soft' to the touch. Sometimes when I squirt food near it it appears to eat with it's end, which is why I think it's a worm..it's not dragging the food back to a mouth.

The only problem with the bigger tank so far is I have to look really hard to find my Emerald crab :).

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Limi, looks great.....I have an ac 70 on my 20g and haven't had any problem with fish getting sucked into it. On my 75 I placed plastic canvas mesh around all my powerheads and filters to protect the anemones in case they go surfing.......don't want an anemone to shred itself through the powerhead....

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Lorna said:
Limi, looks great.....I have an ac 70 on my 20g and haven't had any problem with fish getting sucked into it. On my 75 I placed plastic canvas mesh around all my powerheads and filters to protect the anemones in case they go surfing.......don't want an anemone to shred itself through the powerhead....
It has a 'grid' on the bottom so the fish couldn't actually get sucked inside...but the other fish that have fallen victim were stuck to the bottom up against the grid and unable to get themselves off. I might see if I can find a cap for it or something if I don't just go with the Seio.
Lorna.....you have the Aqua Remora right? I've been contemplating buying that or DIY'ing a airstone skimmer. My dad just built one and it's kind of cool.
Does anyone know any pros/cons to buying the Remora over a DIY airstone type (the DIY would be rather tall and bulky is one con).

Kelly, have no fear the F8's are now in my 46 bowfront enjoying all the room with the orange chromide. Sadly I no longer have the Mono in my avatar, I had to bring him back to the lfs. But it's worth it for SW :D

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I have a remora that I sold when I upgraded. In the time I had it I loved it. It was compact (very thing) and produced a strong dark skimmate when setup correctly.

If you have the space and want to save money the diy one would be a option, but if you can I highly reccomend the Remora