agelfish are aggressive?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
alright hopefully you guys are still reading this... heh ill have the money for the last big thing i need for my tank on next friday... a hood with light... could i start the tank on monday with a wire mesh cover over the tank and a iguana light? and then use that for lets say 5 days? or should i just not do that and wait... till friday?

oh and could i get like 2 plants or do i need alot of plants or none?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
fish do not need light...so if you weren't planning on doing plants you dont need to worry about it, or you could get your plants after you get your hood/light. A lid/something covering the tank would probably be necessary though, so the wire mesh should be fine.

Lorazoo

Medium Fish
Jun 18, 2006
From that picture the fins dont look that long to me. In any case, it may not stop it from chasing the poor fish around and freaking them out. Just letting him know from personal experience that they will go after them. As soon as the lights in the tank went out, she was all over them. And she is very large and the tank heavily planted. Not much space for very fast swimming.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
From that picture the fins don't look that long to me. In any case, it may not stop it from chasing the poor fish around and freaking them out.
For starters most angels are not absolute terrors. Sure you can get the occasional jerk but such is to be expected from a cichlid. Believe me when I tell you them fins slow them way down.

The veil gene more than just effects the Caudal, Anal, and Dorsal fins. It also effects the Pectoral fins making them long loose floppy things. Not very efficient in any way. The fish has no trouble getting around, but is can only do so slowly.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i cant get anything today... :mad: i dunno if my car is done and i have to wait for it to go shopping.. got my filter and everything set up its got a sponge carbon packet and a biomax bag.. is that a good set up or... no?
and my tank without the heater is at 79 lol the heater hasnt turned on yet...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
thats fine...its not going to HURT anything...just that you dont really need it. If you're going to put some live plants in you definitely want to take it out whenever you get them.