Beginner - My tank test results.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Well, it's your choice of course. If you decide to buy him I would make sure the tank is very well planted so that the tetras have a repreive. If you do get a betta though, I would not get the snail or the otos. Although- do you have a tape measure? can you get the length depth and height of your tank? Did you determine the size in another thread? Because that bioload in a ten (a betta and five neons) isn't horrible, even if I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. In an eight gallon I would really hesitate.

Shrimps are beautiful, but i want to start with fish, i've already said i'd do it for a year or so in my tank, and if i really do like the hobby, i'll go on to get some more tanks! So this is just a starter really...
I think the BETTA and tetras would be fine, i have like a cavey thing only the tetras could fit in, to get away for a while.. i have a few real plants in there.. you know some bits n pieces..

*EDIT: Also Shrimps freak me out!! lol*

Last edited:
lol, shrimp are more sensitive so i guess you made the right decision to not go with them first :) and by the way, tetras hide only when they are REALLY REALLY stressed out, and tetras dont stay near the bottom of the tank unless they are stressed or scared and that isn't a good sign. If you think you can handle this get the betta and tetras, nothing beats your own experience :), what i would do is call up the lfs and ask them to hold it for you if possible so someone doesn't buy it before you finish cycling

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Cool. Make sure you get ammonia that is pure or clear ammonia. No surfectants or other things listed in the ingredient list! You might do a search on here to see where other UK folks found ammonia?