Beginning fish stocking

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I think adding a few neon tetra's later would probably be fine and they should just join your current neon tetra group. I have done that in the past with no problems. Is that what you were asking?

Oct 15, 2010
If you are looking at tetras in your tank, I have been successful having bolivian rams with them. They are a cichlid, but they are not usually agressive. I have seen 2 of my b. rams fighting with eachother, but if you get one, you should be fine. If you get 2 try not to get a male and female. If they breed, they can get pretty agressive. They get about 3 inches, and they are nice fish. I have some with tetras, otos, dwarf rainbows, loaches, plecos, barbs, other b. rams, and they are getting together nicely.

Another one to think about is a small group of dwarf neon rainbowfish. They are nice fish, and are fun to watch. The females are blue and yellow with colored scales, and the males are red and blue with coloured scales- a good looking fish. I have theese with most of my fish. (almost all listed above) Make sure that you add theese later on if you plan on getting them, as they are not the best fish in the cycling process.

Try and look at some pictures of theese fish. I think they will work nicely.

If you are interested in a certain fish, them it would be a good idea to list the type, so that we can help you find the right fish, that will work for your tank.

Oct 15, 2010
I think add more neons later. I am starting a tank with some of them, and I am watching for some medium sized healthy ones. All of the ones that I am seeing are too small, way too big for my liking or not healthy. I would look for some- try not to get the smaller ones- I have lost them in the first 5 days, and only have 1 left.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I LOVE my harlies!! I want to get 5 more to add to my current group of 5. They are so adorable and incredibly active. They are all over my 55gal. They sometimes will chase each other and play tag, but they don't "school" persay.

As far as the honey gourami goes...I have no idea what would make it "difficult" to care for. LOL! Every gourami I've ever had has been super easy (opaline and dwarf).

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I've never heard that about tetras. I've always heard (and read) that tetras should be kept in schools of 5 or more. It's not only to distribute any aggression/nipping among the tetras and keep it away from the rest of the fish in the tank (and black phantoms are notoriously nippy, if memory serves), but tetras are prey fish and as such feel safer in larger numbers.

Kruse

Medium Fish
Sep 23, 2010
Minnesota
Lost another one this morning, and one more didn't appear well. It seems they start to breathe rapidly and then kind of behaving erratically. Frustrating.. =/

Others appeared to be alright, at least for the time being. They were chasing each other around the tank and "playing".

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
"Are these the kind you are talking about?
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Honey Dwarf Gourami
What would make their care level, "difficult"?

Also, if I were to at some point introduce a few more neons to the current group, are they incorporated well? Just thinking here hypothetically... "

Yes but the ones at the store I saw were a little more red. I would guess that they are difficult because they probably aren't very hardy, but thats just a guess, I really know nothing about them, except that they are peaceful, small, and colorful. Sorry For my lack of knowledge. :(

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
The article states that being able to live in a pair is what makes Black Phantom Tetras special amongst other tetras. What a curious notion that they can live in pairs.
I have a pair, no clue on sex; however they're quite different looking. ??? Anyway, yes to nipping and generally acting like they're the biggest fish in the tank.