Coralline disapearing

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok now i dont' use supplements ..except those found in my seachem 8.3 and the intant ocean salt. I do 10 % water change every week and my calcium is above 400.

There is a load of exoskeleton on the rock covering the old coraline...but at some places the coraline is completely gone without a trace...it didn't even bleached.

It first began to look "dry" as if it was chippy. Whiter spots appeared. ( not good :( )

My mushroom + polyps are fine...only the coralline seems to go away. It's not a typical bleaching i guess.

With the little amount of creatures i have..i don't plan to add a load of trace elements for now.

One of my ballast died and now i have only 120 w for a 55 gallons.

1 lifeglo 2 - 1 powerglo - 1 actinic.

The bulbs are pretty new.

Anyone had this problem ?

For 2 weeks the coralline was spreading like crazy...now it's disapearing like crazy

i read an article that Coraline only really likes actinic light due to the depths it thrives at, i have been looking for it but as usal i find anything when i need it. i lost a lot well all if it due to temp my tank water was at 42-43c last xmas. the only coraline i have left is in the darkness of rocks any exposed coraline died of from heat and white light. still looking for that damn artical

i read, that you should run your actinic light for 24 hours. then turn on ur white light for 15, then when ur up to 1 hour of white light you decrease the actinic to 23 hours, 1 hour white

so basicall you ares lowly increasing your white light. the coraline will adjust to it adventually. they are in this nice blue ocean down deep and then POW white light. scare the poop out of any thing i guess lol

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
When I upgraded my lighting I bleached out all the coralline in the top 1/2 of the tank. Such is life.

I wouldn't advise keeping my actinics on 24 hours. Fish need nighttime too.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Yeah 24 h seems a lot. Ok anyone of you have or had an electric blue hermit ? He snapped a tonga branch all night and removed everything purple on it...everything.
The polyps are fine except one or two that he tasted/ squashed.
Powerfull claw.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok..36 h after i switched the lights...the bleaching kinda stopped. When i introduced the LifeGlo2 into my tank i had coralline spreading everywhere and encrusting my powrheads. But it changed and this bulb promotes every other algae too. I think i'll just use my 2 marineglo + Powerglo for now.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Another thing you have to consider when running the light 24hrs a day is that you will need to replace them in half the time you normally need to.